Author Topic: Residual tumor?  (Read 3291 times)

suz

Residual tumor?
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:24 am »
I just got the results of 3 month post-op MRI and learned that one-third of the tumor is still there in the IAC. I am currently stunned as my husband and I both had the impression that the docs got "all of it". We must have heard what we wanted to hear; apparently the neurosurgeon was not 100% certain because of where the tumor was located (and not able to visualize it all I guess) and that is why he ordered the 3-month follow-up.
Now I am back in the Watch and wait category as he is not sure if this is viable tumor that will grow or not so I will need to follow up with another MRI in 3-6 months. I trust these docs; I am just really bummed out about having to have this on my mind AGAIN. Funny thing is that before the MRI I felt like my symptoms (like increased volume on tinnitus and roaring on AN side, worsening hearing) were due to healing and improvement in my situation after surgery; now I am wondering if this darn thing is growing again. I have seen some posts on residual tumor/regrowth. Wondering if there is anyone with a medium sized tumor out there - how much residual was left behind and how was it managed?
Having a pity-party today. Tomorrow will move on. 
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Residual tumor?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:45:02 am »
So sorry hear to about the residual I to was misled for a year thinking that it was all gone... I know for sure I wasn't hearing what I wanted to hear my family was there and they said they got it all... I then went for a 3 month and 1 year and they still said it was gone.  I will not go into details but I got the results myself and sure enough there was some left behind now the surgeons are admitting it but they are confident that if there is no blood supply to it, it will die or if it grows then might have to have radiation so I to am now in a W & W that I didn't think I would be in that is why I chose to have the surgery so I wouldn't have to worry about it ever again !

My prayers and thoughts are with you hoping the next MRI will not show any growth.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

suz

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:58:16 pm »
thanks Pat.
So good to hear I am not alone! Well, if you would like to join my pity party just for today you are welcome to!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »
Suz ~

Of course I'm sorry to learn about this unwelcome news that they left a fair bit of the tumor behind.  For what it's worth, my neurosurgeon 'debulked' my 4.5 cm AN down to 2.5 cm and in the process, severed it's blood supply.  Then (in conjunction with a radiation oncologist) we had the remaining tumor radiated (via FSR) to destroy it's DNA and ability to re-grow.  It worked.  Subsequent MRI scans showed necrosis (tumor cell death) and the beginnings of tumor shrinkage.  So, radiation may be an option to finish off the AN.  However, that is a determination only a physician can make, but I hope it will be feasible for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »
thanks Pat.
So good to hear I am not alone! Well, if you would like to join my pity party just for today you are welcome to!
Suz

Suz, I would love to join your pity party today and any other day, I think we are entitled to a few more pity days at least here we all understand exactly what we are going through I know my family still does not get it yet !

Best Wishes,

Pat

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 06:48:24 pm »
Suz, I'm sorry about the news you got. You are not alone as others have said.

My tumor was bit larger than medium. My family waited through 32 hours of surgery to learn that at best the docs only got about 90% - give or take. They stopped when they did because they had reached the point of diminishing returns where the likelihood of permanent nerve damage was just too real. So I am wait and watch until growth is determined and then we zap it.

Why wait until growth? The surgery was not easy on me and I still have some deficits, including a paralyzed vocal cord and some swallowing difficulties. They want to give me as much time to heal as possible before subjecting me to anything else, save for the three vocal cord injections I have had. After last month's MRI, I am now on a six month schedule instead of three months.

Despite all this, there are far worse things. Part of me would like to go in and get Bob zapped like yesterday. But, I am glad I have the facial movement and other improvements that I have, so I will be patient.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Don't despair, as you really are not alone.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your residual growth.  I just posted regarding my 6 month MRI.  I was also told by the surgeon that all of the tumor had been removed.  Now, I find that something is still there and it's grown.  I had a rather short surgery by most standards...3 hours, but do not look forward to another surgery or radiation in the future.  I wish all of you luck and hope that your residual tumors have lost their blood supply and die off completely.

Pat
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:47:52 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your residual growth.  I just posted regarding my 6 month MRI.  I was also told by the surgeon that all of the tumor had been removed.  Now, I find that something is still there and it's grown.  I had a rather short surgery by most standards...3 hours, but do not look forward to another surgery or radiation in the future.  I wish all of you luck and hope that your residual tumors have lost their blood supply and die off completely.

Pat

Pat when I read your post and of course with the same name I have to look and see if it was me that said that... We have the same thoughts and problems I feel like I am looking in a mirror and the mirror is talking back...  ???

The Other Pat