Author Topic: my surgery experience in UH of Cleveland, Case Medical Center  (Read 2542 times)

jhang

my surgery experience in UH of Cleveland, Case Medical Center
« on: October 04, 2015, 05:24:54 pm »
This forum used to give me a lot of information after I was diagnosed with acoustic neuroma one year ago.  Now, I’d like to share my experience to the patients who are seeking treatments options.  Like most of patients in his forum, I experienced a lot mental suffering regarding the treatment options.  Finally, I decided to do the surgery.
 My surgery was done one month and half ago at UH of Cleveland, Case Medical Center, by  Dr. Megerian ENT and Dr. Bambakidis, neurosurgeon.  I recommend this team without reservation.

My tumor was 24X19X18mm and almost doubled its size than one year ago. Before  the surgery, I had some numbness on my tumor side face, tongue and still have serviceable hearing.   My surgery was done about 4 hours with retrosigmoid pathway.  MRI showed total tumor removal.  I discharged on the third day after surgery.   My facial nerve function is excellent, no any other major complications. My surgery ear still has little hearing. Before the surgery I concern about long term headache, it seems that it is not a big issue, I stopped taking any pain medications after 10 day of surgery.  When I saw the doctors for post-surgery follow up a few days ago, they told me that I am cured and allowed me to do my any daily activities as pre-surgery. My facial and tongue sensation recovered.  I feel almost normal right now, although my balance is still in recovery and may need another one or two months for fully compensation to establish.
The team is very professional and they are skilled on AN surgery. I recommend local patients who are seeking treatment options to counsel Dr. Megerian,   at least to get a second opinion. 

Mei Mei

Re: my surgery experience in UH of Cleveland, Case Medical Center
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:07:27 pm »
Dear Jhang,
I am very happy for you and your wonderful outcome.    You researched it well and we all consider ourselves fortunate to have such a well done Forum as this.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

v357139

Re: my surgery experience in UH of Cleveland, Case Medical Center
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:05:46 pm »
Congratulations on a great result.  I am very happy for you.  The forum always needs success stories, and another good option for those in your area.  All the best.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!