Author Topic: House Ear Clinic  (Read 2937 times)

jugee

House Ear Clinic
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:14:50 pm »
How long does it take to drive to the House Ear Clinic from the L.A. Airport?  Any advice on getting there besides a cab?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: House Ear Clinic
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »
About 30-45 minutes from Seton Hall to LAX, depending upon traffic.  There is no limo or shuttle service from HEI, St. Vincent's, or Seton Hall that we know so we took a cab ..... in May it cost my husband and me $58.05 + tip.  Motels may have shuttles ..... do not know about that.  Call HEI and ask them ...... they may know of alternative ways.  If you rent a car at the airport, of course you would save that cost by returning the car at the same time.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:28:12 pm »
I concur with Clarice's time estimates re: distance from LAX to House Ear Clinic / St. Vincent's Medical Center. Renting a car is a very valid option -- parking in the St. Vincent's lot is quite reasonable (just a few dollars a week as I recall, with unlimited entrances/exits) and if you have a GPS or smart phone for directions, driving in Los Angeles is really not that intimidating.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

LisaM

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »
You can take a Super Shuttle from the airport, which should cost less than half of what a cab would cost (if you are traveling solo, if you are two or more take a cab).  It may take a bit longer as the shuttle will stop at other stops along the way, but it's not a big deal, usually no more than 3 stops.  Look for the shuttle stops at the airport outside baggage claim.  I've lived in Los Angeles for over 25 years, so if you have other questions about LA you can PM me.

Best,
Lisa M
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

schmidtkat

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:56:01 pm »
We used a rental van from LAX to Seton when we arrived. We had taken along a Garman for GPS purposes. That was lifesaver. If you hit when there isn't much traffic, about 30 minutes would do it. When we went home, the family had used the rental and checked it in at the airport prior to my departure. So we asked at Seton and were told a limo is a nice alternative and was about the same cost as a taxis. It was also nice to avoid the extra stops and starts with the shuttles after the surgery. I was relieved to have smooth sailing to the airport. ~ Kathy
P. S. You're headed to the best! I know others have had fantastic results elsewhere, so I'm not trying to offend anyone else...just sharing my positive experience with the HEI.  :)