Author Topic: Eye Exam  (Read 3939 times)

Jill Marie

Eye Exam
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:06:04 pm »
I need to get an eye exam as I'm getting headaches at work via squinting, time for new glasses.  The problem is that my company changed Insurance companies and the doctor I go to won't except my Insurance.  I checked with a Clinic that I had gone to before and they do except the Insurance but they also require you to have your eye's dilated where as my old doctor didn't.  The problem is that my eye has no moisture at all and the procedure is painful to me.  The office said they can not change policy.  I called another office and the receptionist told me that I should come in and she felt that the doctor would understand my issues with dilating and by pass that on my left eye.  Was wondering if anyone else had come across this issue.  I think the difference between the doctors is that one is an optometrist and the other and ophthalmologists.  So, is the one that doesn't require dilating not doing the best job for you?  I haven't seen an eye doctor that really goes beyond just writing a prescription for glasses in quite a while so I figure it's best to see someone else this time.  Thanks for any info. you may have to share, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Eye Exam
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »
Jill, I have had my eyes dilated. The doctor used numbing drops and everything turned out all right. However, if you are not comfortable with it, go to the second doctor and ask that it not be done. I think the main purpose is to get a good look at the cornea, so maybe it doesn't have to be done every time?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:54 am »
Jill Marie~
I don't have any trouble with dilation, but I don't feel my AN side.  HOWEVER, I ONLY go to an opthomologist now and would not consider going to someone else.  IMO, with all that I have been thru, I need the VERY BEST and well trained Dr. to be on board with me.  Can you put LOTS of drops in your eye leading up to the appointment?  Since dilation shouldn't hurt - maybe that is even more reason to have to Dr. check everything out.  Just my opinion...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:05:31 am »
I think Sara meant retina, not cornea.  ;)

I have my eyes dilated once a year, since I have high eye pressure and the doctor wants to see if anything is changing around the optic nerve. They put in the dilating drops, I sit in the waiting area till I am dilated, then they put in a numbing drop and put their little magnifier on the eye surface to have a look. Then I go home and and sit in a darkened room until my eyes feel normal again, which can take most of the day. Painless but annoying.

An opthomologist is good for checking your eyes for possible disease problems, as well as vision correction. Even if you don't see one regularly, it is probably a good idea to see one now and then. Eyes are important!

Okay, drop and give me 10.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:13:19 am »
Jill Marie
I went to see a neuro-opthomologist post operativley mainly because while I produce lubricating tears in my AN side eye, I do not produce emotional tears and wanted to have a check up with someone who understood eye issues with relation to  AN's. This Dr did not need to dilate my eyes and I still had an intensive check up. My insurance actually charged it as a medical charge instead of a vision exam.
Erin

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:17:44 am »
oops. I did mean retina. Thanks, Steve.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:47:25 pm »
Thanks everyone for the very useful info.  Going to the eye doctor shouldn't be a big deal but it is for me. >:( >:(

Sara - The one and only time my eye was dilated since my surgery in 92 caused me so much pain I promised myself I would never have it done again.  They used the numbing drops but I'm wondering if there's something in the drops that cause the eye to become dryer.

Kaybo -  I agree, I should see an Optomologist, that's why I went to the Clinic I use to go to because I figured I wanted some one that new all about eyes, not just about eye glasses.  Unfortunately I knew way more about what to do for my eye and what happened to cause the dry eye then the doctor did, I taught him a lot that day.  Since the clinic won't bend on my request I'm going to someone that hopefully will.  I will ask them if putting in lots of  drops or ointment will help reduce the pain but not interfere with the test. 

Steve -  I know I need to have my eye checked for disease but to be perfectly honest I don't see much with it anyway because of all the ointment but I do hope that one day they can come up with something  that will make my eye tear again and I want a healthy eye when that happens.  As soon as I finish this post I will head to my son's room and tell him to give you 10,  :D

Erin - My appointment isn't tell next Thursday so I will check and see if I can find a neuro-optomologist, that sounds like what I'm looking for. 

Thanks again Jill

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:16:40 am »
Speaking of eye exams, I had mine done yesterday.  I have it done in florida as 1) its cheaper then home (no ins) and 2) this doc does a more thorough exam...As I" live in a small town,  and with only 3 eye docs ( same team) they overcharge.  I have noticed a change in my vision and yep I need a new prescription...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7