Author Topic: How long is recovery after the BAHA procedure?  (Read 5349 times)

Puppylove

How long is recovery after the BAHA procedure?
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:01:47 am »
I'm having my BAHA procedure next Tuesday, the 29th...1 day before my 11 week anniversary of my AN surgery ;D  I have 2 little ones (3 and 19 months) and I am wondering if I'll be okay the following day to care for them by myself.  I have a babysitter for the day of my surgery, but will I need someone on Wednesday and/or Thursday?  It seems that everyone says this procedure is easy, but I don't want to take on too much. (I also don't want someone around if I don't need them). ;)

Thanks for any insight.  Looking forward to getting this one behind me too!
Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: How long is recovery after the BAHA procedure?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:57:43 am »
You might want to ask that person to stick around for a few more days.  Your surgeon might suggest that you do not do any lifting or bending over to pick up the little ones.  You should take it easy for the first two days after surgery.   Surgery is pretty easy and almost like a trip to the dentist office.  However, everyone is different in post-op.  If you go home the same day after your surgery, most hospitals may ask you if you have someone to stay with you the first night to make sure you are OK post-op.  You might not feel any pain except maybe a headache.  Like I said, everyone is different.  Welcome to the Baha club and good luck on the surgery! ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

moe

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:25:33 am »
I concur,
If you didn't have little ones, you'd probably be ok. You can do the basics, I would say easy on the lifting,straining, though make sure you ask about activity restrictions. They may say there are none ???
(especially the 19 month old....needs lots of tending to).
Good luck!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:44:14 am »
IMO you'll be fine without help.

Immediately following my implant - I only had local - I went to lunch with my sister and then to my son's volleyball game.  I would have returned to work the following day, but I was still wearing that lovely white mastoid bandage on my head.

Chances are very good that the 19 month old will be very interested in your bandage - and maybe even sympathetic; the 3 month old will probably be oblivious to it.

Stock up on the extra-strength tylenol, but other than that I don't think you'll need anything else to deal with the kiddies.

As Ken pointed out, ask your doctor about lifting restrictions.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways