Author Topic: going to the restroom  (Read 3376 times)

nanlt124

• learning more everyday
going to the restroom
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:56 pm »
just an odd question my mother is 10 days post op and hasnt had a bowel movement any input thanks

deheisel11

Re: going to the restroom
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:29:10 pm »
Quite a few of the pain meds will cause the block up.  I was given stool softeners after my surgery which helped quite a lot.  My wife had another type of surgery with pain meds and they did not tell her that she might have bowel problems.  She had a very difficult time.  Call you doctor immediately and tell them the situation.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

moe

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:33:28 pm »
I agree, talk to your doc.
Being a nurse, ask her if she is passing gas, and feel her lower abdomen to see if it feels harder than the rest of the abdomen. If it's soft and she's feeling the gurgling, it is just a matter of giving her the correct amount of stool softener/laxative/prunes/prune juice and whatever, and letting nature takes it's course.

I too was one of those who didn't "poo" for a long time and was on lots of vicodin/percocet for my bad bad bad headache. I knew the side effects of the narcotics and just kept downing the colace, prunes,prune juice, hot tea, graduating to MOM and well you don't want to know the details :o

So she also may need a gentle suppository (glycerin) to get things going or even a ducalox suppos. But CALL your doctor!
I hope everything" comes out" all right. (Humor is one of the best medicines, BTW) ;D

Let us know how everything "works out"
Maureen

funny for the day.
Q- How does a mathematician cure constipation?
A- He gets a pencil and works it out (or something like that.) :D
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:19:50 am »
Not an odd question at all.

I wasn't able to leave the hospital until I'd had a bowel movement.  My doc has patients take a stool softener post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:45:34 pm »
Dave ~

Not really an odd question because constipation is a common occurrence for post-op AN patients.  As the previous posts indicate, post-op BMs can be problematic due to the meds and the change in ones eating/digesting routine.  I won't presume to speak for your mom's doctor but he may well advise that she employ the ever-popular stool softener to, (ahem) help move things along, as it were. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:11:26 am »
I was having issues with it all. The threat of putting a catheter back up in me gave me tons motivation to number 1. I wanted to cheer when I was able to give them the sample they wanted. lol. I did have air in my bladder for about 3 weeks after surgery but seams to have cleared up.

I was in the hospital 2 1/2 weeks and only did a number 2 one time. And that's after I was under the threat of a nurse putting something up my exit only area. If you know what I mean. So I worked it really hard for about a hour to avoid the nurse being were I didn't want her to be.

I'm about 10 days out of the hospital right now. And I would say my number 1 is back to normal. But my number 2 is still not the same. But I understand the pain meds I'm still taken do that to people.

Hope my post helps.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:55:13 am »
Stool softeners and warm prune juice help, I remember cheering from the bathroom everytime I had a BM, it was too funny.  My husband also had to help me on and off the toilet so I think the cheering became my little alarm for him that I was ready to be lifted and returned to my couch...hee hee hee!
Hope #2 comes soon!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt