Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 99994 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »
Hi Karen,

No need to wait...falling in doesn't hurt and you may see improvement in your balance if you do it enough. When I first started I was falling in constantly but it was pushing through it and retraining my system to be more visual that made all the difference. You need to work at it to get yourself back some semblance of normalcy. If you just wait for it to happen you may find yourself waiting a long time.

Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

It is what it is

« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »
Thank you for your encouragement and helping me see that I don't need to wait.  I assume a month after surgery it's okay to be submerged in water, etc.?  It does look like the perfect exercise for us!  Thanks again. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:14 am »
Talk to your Dr. of course but mine (Dr. Mckenna at MGH) let me get back on the water 1 month from surgery in 2009
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

str8testshot

« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2012, 08:29:41 pm »
Have a buddy and wear a life jacket! I was an expert swimmer prior to surgery and it took me several months to get comfortable in the water, mostly from disorientation in temperature shock. Ive been boating for a month with lotsa standing, Last weekend got on a paddle board, it was tough and I spent more time on my knees than standing but it was fun.  Karen at 1 month post op I found 2-line kites fun, changing and invigorating, tracking a moving object up-down up-down and side to side (eye balance exercises!)  controlling it and balancing, I added barefoot and did walking exercises at the same time to get my pressure sensors rockin, now I can hike a hillside in moonlight :))
Feb/2012- started spinning, March found 4 mm (L) AN, May tumor was 5mm, Reasearched over 100 articles, saw 11 Dr's, tried out sudden hearing loss, first experience of prednisone-hearing came back, opted for Middle Fossa at HEI Friedman/ Schwartz- no more spinning hearing is %100
 I am a lucky one :)

It is what it is

« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2012, 01:06:25 pm »
After reading (on this list) what good therapy paddle boarding could be, I rented a paddle board last weekend and had a wonderful work out in trying to stay balanced on the board!  Yes, this is a perfect therapy for those of us challenged with vestibular issues. 

Thanks for the recommendation!!!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »
That's great...glad to hear you had fun. Str8 has it right...be sure to be safe and wear a lifejacket/PFD. I don't wear one surfing but for all my distance paddling I use a beltpack inflatable. We require one at all our events. Be careful around docks and such and rocks. If/when you fall try to fall flat

Speaking of surfing....one of the things I find most amazing is the fact that I can not only surf...but I can surf well according to a lot of folks who should know that have seen me. I think in some ways the change to my balance caused by the AN has me looser than I was before...more free flowing. I surfed for 6 hours in beautiful glassy surf from Leslie on Sunday and I could do no wrong. When I first jumped in I caught and surfed hard on 3 nice chest high waves and fought my way back out through the whitewater and never fell or even got my hair (what little I have) wet..... ;D. I went out right at sunrise and was standing there thinking after those rides. The sunrise was beautiful and I felt so extraordinary. Sunday was the 6th year anniversary of the 1st time I ever got on a standup board. The contrast from that day to this couldn't be more shocking. I still wonder if I'm dreaming sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:10:14 pm by stoneaxe »

It is what it is

« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »
So, any advice about what to look for in purchasing a board?  Feel free to PM me if you have suggestions.  I LOVE this sport.  Even my husband got hooked when he realized it might help us both with balance in skiing this winter.  Really, thank you!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:34 am »
sorry for the slow response, haven't been on lately.

It's very easy to get hooked, you'll soon want two boards so you can paddle together.... ;D.

Getting a board depends somewhat on where you live. In areas where it has become popular you can find deals on used gear in Craigslist or used boards at shops. I would suggest demoing as many boards as possible but in general an all around shape from one of the bigger manufacturers is usually the safest way to go. The wider the board the more stable but you don't want it so stable that it isn't providing therapy. A lot depends on your size too...it's all very personal, a board that fits me at 6-4 260 lbs, won't be suitable for a small light woman.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »
I thought I'd bump this thread. I'd love to see more folks benefit from this. I was thinking a few days ago about how I might get more folks to try it. I was also thinking about this years CCBC and had a thought I might try and combine the two. I'm going to be giving free one hour SUP lessons this summer in Plymouth asking folks to donate whatever they can to the cause. It will be a lot of fun and you'll get a chance to see and try a wide variety of boards...I now have 6 of them ranging from 9' to 14' long.

Just thought I would float this out there and see if might be interested....nice to think about summer with a big storm on the way.....big surf coming...wahhoo... ;D

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
An unplanned experiment has really cemented my thoughts on the benefits of SUP. This has been a long winter. I got sick (chest/head cold) that stayed for two months, all of November and December. That, coupled with a crazy schedule at work (caused by having to play catch up from being sick and the return of my headaches) conspired to keep me off the water for pretty much all of 4 months. The return of my balance problems came slowly, occasional bumping into door frames, slight stumbles, a building wonky head. I even had a little vertigo near the end causing some sleep problems (spins when I closed my eyes).

When I finally got back on the water a few weeks ago it was in some tough conditions but nothing I hadn't done many times before. I knew I was a little out of shape and I was concerned about the wonkiness but I wasn't prepared for the beating I took. It was terrible, I couldn't even paddle out through small whitewater. I fought for a 1/2 hour and finally just barely managed to get outside during a short lull in the waves. I dropped to my  board and just rested for a bit before getting back to my feet. It was still horrible, I kept falling, conditions that I reveled in just a few months ago I couldn't begin to handle. I realized that I stood a good possibility of hurting myself. I caught one wave and rode it to the beach.

So I recommitted, I've been paddling a lot, my balance has come back, I surfed for 4 hours in some big waves last week (fortunately in much nicer conditions) and just got back from my 1st trip to the mountains for some skiing since this whole AN journey started. I took it easy, no bumps or jumps, no fast fast (which was how I used to love to ski) since I would hate to hurt a knee or something and interfere with water time. Mostly just cruising...I didn't fall once. A couple of weeks ago before getting back on the water I would have had to cancel the ski trip.
It made me realize just how important this is to me. Standup is unique as a form of therapy. The obvious balance challenge combined with the broad horizon and the fact that falling into water is a lot less likely to injure than a similar activity could on land makes it just about perfect.

On another forum where I am much more active about ...surprise...standup paddleboarding a recent discussion came up about "Never stop going". The demographic for standup is older...kind of like this forum... ;D. Lot's of older guys and girls with injuries or issues. Pushing through and working hard makes all the difference and the the main point of the post being it's easier to keep the momentum going rather than stopping and starting. Get out there and find something that keeps you going, wanting more. Something that even when you don't really feel like doing it makes you feel good when it's done. Never again will I be off the water that long unless absolutely unable to go.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:00:50 pm by stoneaxe »