Author Topic: Lilan's hot date  (Read 27585 times)

Lilan

Re: Lilan's hot date
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44:06 pm »
I have another tip for planners: The most reliable way I've found to search for what-to-bring and recovery posts is to search the forum for "pajamas" and also "pjs."
 :)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 04:07:00 pm »
In terms of shopping for my date, today I found cute, very soft Nick & Nora PJs (button front) (light blue with design of pink flying pigs) ;D and robe @ Target.

Lilan -

these are the greatest PJs; extremely comfy.  I have a pair with sock monkeys and my sister has a pair with pink flamingos.  Target also sells matching sheet sets for your bed.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 04:35:03 pm »
I have the sock monkeys too - guess we are all a bunch of Target shoppers! ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 12:13:15 am »
Beyond his [Dr. Brackmann's] surgical experience, he must also be an exceptional human being.

That is what I have heard. He is legendary for reading MRI's, and for carrying the torch for the translab approach to AN surgery. I think many surgeons have trained with him, so he has the status of mentor to many. I have heard that he will take a phone call while in the middle of a surgery, to help out another surgeon who has encountered a problem. And besides his dedication, accounts of personal encounters seem to always indicate that he is personable, very bright, and very convincing. In a word, charismatic.

If more people had acoustic neuromas, he could probably get elected president.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lilan

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 06:10:07 am »
I received my packet from House yesterday. There was nothing scary that I hadn't already known, and there's a "routine" nature to it that's reassuring.

However, it's true: no nail polish. I still think this is the craziest thing I've ever heard. (Was complaining on another thread when I read that this was common during surgery anywhere: THIS is the high-tech way they monitor your oxygen levels, by seeing if your nails turn blue?  ???  Disturbing. Shouldn't there be a multi-million-dollar machine doing this so I can keep a decent pedicure?)

In better news, they allow hair-washing at five days, which is a relief.

For my shopping pre-surgery friends: I also found awesome pajamas at TJ Maxx. Now I have too many and will have to return something.  :D

Booked my flights yesterday so everything is coming together. My friend who's flying home with me has a lot of miles, and the only award travel available the day we needed it was in first class, so she used miles for that. This led me into a long series of phone calls to reactivate some of my own expired miles so I had enough to do the same! There were some fees to do that but it cost MUCH less, a fraction, of "buying" business class outright so it's worth looking into for anyone who may have "old" miles (expired 2002 or after I believe). And of course I booked the red-carpet wheelchair service for the way home! So, we've done all we can to make the flight comfortable and the fact that I won't have filthy hair is already making things look up for me.  :D

I am going to travel to L.A. on Monday and do a studio and/or city tour on Tuesday, so I can settle in and enjoy myself for a day before the pre-op on Wednesday and surgery Thursday!

I am also trying to program my brain ahead of time for how to feel afterward. I am imagining waking up, smiling, being hungry, walking -- to "project" onto my mind the things I need to do the first couple days. Training my muscle memory in advance. I also made a "vision board" and recommend that. It has already given me a clear image of success and calm to focus on. (Small posterboard collage of flowers and pretty pictures from magazines representing good outcomes: feminine images representing balance, hearing, big smiles, strong heart rate.) I plan to take it with me.

On it I also used a really cool picture-illustration of Capt. Sully to represent the qualities I wanted in my doctors, before choosing where to have surgery. A friend of mine, not knowing this at all, looked up Drs. House and Brackmann online when I told her I had decided to go there and e-mailed me right away to say "One of your doctors looks like Sully!!!" So I showed her my collage.)  ;)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Cheryl R

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 07:10:28 am »
Lilan,    You might ask House if it is just the pedicure you want to keep.     It is the fingernails they want the polish off.       Doing the O2 saturation is more than watching if the nails turn blue.   It is more of a way of watching the blood in the finger for the decrease in circulation.       I was never good at explaining it exactly as patients always asked how it worked.              I never did see it used on toes unless you were an infant and we did do it on their big toe.         There was a special oximeter tape we used on them.                              I do know that is an annoyance to keep a clip stuck on yiour finger while in the ICU. 
       Good luck with your surgery.                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 07:27:59 am »
Lilan,

Sounds as though you're doing a great planning job!

You are very smart to book a first-class flight home from LAX -- I don't know your destination, but mine was New Jersey, and it was very pleasant to have that extra, more relaxing space for a post-surgical journey. And maybe you won't need the wheelchair -- first-class has a separate security check-in area and we didn't have to wait on line at all.

And your friend is right -- Dr. John House does look a lot like Capt. Sully! He was my surgeon and was absolutely wonderful. He definitely exudes those Sully-like traits of confidence and competence. You will be in wonderful hands at House. Best wishes for a safe journey and a successful surgery.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Lilan

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 11:10:39 am »
Cheryl, you are nothing less than a genius.  :D I asked the surg coord and she says toenail polish is fine.

Please understand that after a Chicago winter, I LIVE for every moment I can spend in bare feet and sandals so this is crucial to me.  8)

So yes, JG2, I'm in Chi, and it's a four-hour flight, plus with 90 mins or so at the airport and travel time to and from ... It'll be a long day any way you look at it. So the extra breathing room will be nice! Thanks for the good wishes!

Cheryl R

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 11:33:10 am »
Thank Lilan, not a genius but just a retired nurse  as of a year ago.       There are others on here too so not hard to get some info anyway.            Good that you found out so you can keep the pretty toenails.         Ones needs all the fun stuff  when going thru this surgery and the wonderful tight dressing.                              I always took pjs so could look a little better once the IV was capped.                        Karen Neuburger ones are my favorite.     
     Good luck with your surgery!                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lilan

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 11:43:04 am »
I agree the little dignities make a huge difference.

I went to one MRI place where they had a choice of hospital gown or scrubs=pants and shirt. I was so thrilled. Somehow I felt SOO much healthier and "more like myself" in the scrubs! Don't love the gowns.

And, it's nice to feel like you can control a few of the little things when you can't control the bigger ones.

Lilan

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 07:17:17 pm »
Nice meditation for pre-surgical patients:

http://www.jbennette.com/resources/healing_before_surgery.htm

Lilan

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 06:24:17 am »
Do any House alums have an opinion on bringing a laptop? I was not planning to bring one, knowing I won't want to tinker with it probably, but my aunt who is coming with me might like to have one available to get a few things done. Is there any Wi-Fi? Is it safe to have something like that @ Seton? Alternatively, how accessible is the shared computer -- would she be able to do some work there if need be?

cindyj

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 06:47:02 am »
Morning!  My mom took her laptop w/ her - I never felt up to posting, but I dictated to her eventually...there is free WiFi at House (right across from the hospital).  Don't think there was any at Seton, but they do have the two computers in the kitchen area that can be used.  It is certainly easy to get on one - not many people standing in line ;), but they are QUITE old and very slow.  Wouldn't think they'd be very conducive for actual work of any sort, but they're fine for posting on the forum, if she's patient...My mom actually stayed at a local hotel, so she had service there that she also used.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 07:03:11 am »
I agree with Cindy -- bringing your own laptop would be best. The computers in the commons room at Seton are ancient and slow -- you wouldn't want to plan on using them for anything work-related, etc. I think there's a hook-up at the desk in the Seton lobby where you can plug in, but it's not super-fast either. WiFi at House would be best, and as Cindy says, it's just across the street.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

moe

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 10:51:50 am »
Lilan,
Sounds like you are preparing yourself emotionally in a very positive way! Good for you.
Are you donating blood prior to surgery? Do they do that for hemangiomas?
Take care and keep up the good pre op work!
Maureen
Exercise too or walk or whatever you do to stay active prior to surgery too-that helps in recovery. ;)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty