Author Topic: Newbie--scheduled for surgery in October 2008  (Read 31266 times)

dufreyne

Re: Newbie--scheduled for surgery in October 2008
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:23:08 pm »
I am consistently impressed with the quality of posts on this site.  This site and group should be a model for other groups of patients with a rare disease.  I need to pass this along to other physicians whether they treat AN or not.

With respect to the surgery, now that I've made my decision, I find myself wanting to move time forward and simply be on the other side of this surgery.  I'm trying to be patient, but it doesn't come naturally in this situation!

I'm trying to keep busy with work and that seems to help a lot.  It forces me to think about other things beyond oneself.  That's always a good thing...

OMG16

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »
It is so very normal to have those feelings and if you keep busy time will pass quickly and you to will be a postie.  The day before surgery don't forget to pamper yourself and make sure you are in a good emotional state because as you know that can affect your immune system.  Also don't forget to wash with your antiseptic soap to minimize the risk of MRSE take it from one who knows it is no fun to have as I am sure you are very aware of.  Don't forget that how trivial you think a question might be we have all asked it or thought it ourselves so please feel free to ask us anything that comes to mind.  Drs are just normal people with the same feelings as the rest of us and I think sometimes the lay person can forget that.   :-* OMG

Lori glad to be back!
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 10:10:31 pm »
dufreyne -

thanks for sharing your diagnosis story in detail; very interesting.  I've never read anything quite like this on the forum.  So, I have to ask, are you telling us that your tonsillectomy wasn't necessary after all  ???  Forgive me if that's a dumb question, but I'm an accountant and not well-versed in medical stuff  ::)

It would be wonderful if you told all the medical personnel you know what a great patient resource this forum is.  I've told my neurotologist this so many times, he's probably ready to throw something at me  :D  I found this site after my retrosigmoid surgery, but I've often wished I found it right after my diagnosis when things were really scary.  This forum has been a Godsend to me in more ways than one - and in addition the humor here makes me feel right at home  ;D  As others have said, we truly are a family.

One of the things that makes me proudest to be a member of this forum, is that we support each other unconditionally.  We recognize that everyone is different and everyone's AN journey is different.  We also like to stress that treatment choice is a personal choice.  Thankfully my neurotologist stressed that to me long before I found the ANA, but I'm still somewhat surprised to hear from time to time that other doctors try to "push" their choice on patients.

In a perfect world, all AN patients would find this forum and the ANA immediately after their diagnosis.

So, you didn't tell me, do you know what a BAHA is?

I hate to belabor the point, but I'm curious since not one doctor I've met - other than my neurotologist who implanted mine - has known what a BAHA is and I think it's definitely something that people (especially doctors) should be educated about.

Jan   

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 07:29:22 am »
So Maggie since we are at the "zoo" I am wondering what animal I would choose most to represent me...... :)

Dufreyne I have always wondered if there will ever come the day during med school they (professors) will change the name of "acoustic" to it's proper term "vestibular" neuroma.  Reason being, it was balance I was noticing first but was poo pooed as "aging", I was 40 at the time.  My hearing could have been saved as the tumor would have been smaller then--perhaps? 

Funny it was an ER trained physician that suspected I had a brain tumor originally in 1991.  My "red- flag moment" was I didn't recognize my surroundings, and failed his " starting with 100, count backwards by three" test, but because he didn't order MR w/contrast, it never showed.  Anyway, I've always wanted to contact him as he's moved to another city to let him know how right on his dx was. 

I am hoping with more and more doctors passing out information from the ANA (mine being one) maybe the correct terminology will be used in med schools in the near future. 

In regards to the internet and information on medical sights, I was talking with my SIL (medic serving and working clinic in the Army) about why doctors "bristle" when patients offer up their diagnosis as so many of us have gone years before diagnosis, being seen by many physicians not able or willing to look deeper into their patients complaints.  The patient, not finding relief, decides they can do a better job and so begins their search on the medical highway. 

My SIL went through a scenario he frequently sees with his patients relaying how frustrating it is when the patient comes in telling him what they fell is wrong before he has a chance to offer up his diagnosis.  I suggested he change his approach by allowing the patient to offer up their diagnosis, acknowledge this, telling the patient he/she might be right, but your not sure as "you" need to evaluate them and will then discuss together, what your findings are.  He listened to my suggestion and will now use this approach with his patients. 

I don't think this problem will go away for physicians and better to have a different approach as the old days of doctors knows all is no longer.  The patient probably will be wrong with the diagnosis, but they aren't wrong in knowing something is not right with them. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:53:11 am »
Arushi, my doctor called it a Vestibular Schwannoma, which I believe is the preferred medical terminology.  I'm not sure why the term Acoustic Neuroma came into use, but I guess that figures, doesn't it?  Two different methods of killing it, two different names to identify it.  Just something else to add to the confusion of this disease/ condition/illness.  See I don't even know what to call it!  I think of a disease as something you "catch". 

So Dr. dufreyne, what do you call it?  That we can print in a family forum, that is! ;D 

Thanks for the kind words about this forum.  That is going to please everyone who takes part in this site and I hope they all see your post.  We have great Moderators on here who are friendly, smart, caring and really have done a lot of research about this stupid AN thing that we all share.  That's how I refer to my tumor - stupid AN thing.  Mainly because I hate the word tumor.  And even though people will refer to this as a "brain tumor", most of us know that it is more properly a "skull based tumor" because the AN is not growing on or in the brain.  Thank God.

Don't let our delight at having a real MD to ask questions of scare you away, please!  We all would enjoy reading about your insights and your views on this from your unique perspective as doctor and patient. 

I am most interested in your opinion on the "cause" of such a thing.  I favor something to do with genes gone bad.  Others look for an environmental or outside factor.  Some just call it bad luck.  Mostly the jury is still out on that one, officially anyway, but I'd still be curious as to your opinion.

I also hope you contact Scott, who is working on an AN book.  I'm sure your story would be most welcome.  There is a topic for that in the AN Community and you can easily find that.

Take care of yourself and let us know how things are progressing for you.  You saw all the West Coast doctors.  Do you live around here too?  (We're a curious bunch... ;))

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 11:33:03 am »
We have great Moderators on here who are friendly, smart, caring and really have done a lot of research about this stupid AN thing that we all share. 

You're obviously not talking about me in the above comment! ;)  :-*

hello dufreyne  and welcome. Good to see you here. Well, I see everyone is giving you proper hellos (not that I would expect anything less of them.....)  I'm glad that you are finding the site/discussion forums helpful...

In one regard, I'm sorry to see you join our ranks... but, since you are a doc, on the other hand, I am thrilled that by you (unfortunately) joining our ranks, it helps to truly give a different perspective and I, for one, am thrilled that, although we hate going through this journey, it can help give better insight first hand... for a doc to truly understand is difficult unless they walk a mile in our shoes.  I understand its difficult for a doc to be the patient, but what it can do for the compassion a doc shows to their patients is truly amazing. 

The wording didn't really come out right/smoothly in what I just wrote... but I think you got the gist of it.

As I'm sure you know, Stanford and Jackler offer some of the best in AN treatments. I do know of a patient here (matti) who had her surgery there approx 8-10 yrs ago... she is a terrific patient resource if needed.

Welcome to the site... glad to have you participating...... and truly sending you wellness wishes...... I'm kinda famous for my healing huggles.  Hang tough.

Phyl
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:36:02 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 11:49:43 am »
Of course I was talking about you Phyl!!  You are the Sweet Heart of ANU (Acoustic Neuroma University), our Dorm Mother, Head Cheer Leader, Class President and Prom Queen, all rolled into one.   ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 02:45:41 pm »
Dufreyne

Im' sorry you have been diagnosed with the AN; I really am.  I was amazed with the range of emotions that I have been experiencing; but I am coming to terms with it by arming myself with as much knowledge as possible.  I like to make informed decisions, I read the forum often but I don't post much as I am in W&W and I don't believe I can offer much advice like others but I do enjoy reading about everybody else.

My interpretation of the forum is that it is a place we come to because we need knowledge, support, advice, we have a need to express ourselves; the forum talks about the 'REAL" of our situations and not just facts.  You read about peoples' feelings particularly the fear or confusion in the newly diagnosed but then somebody willl come forth who has travelled that road before and offer support and comforting words; how wonderful is that. The forum offers humor in sometimes difficult situations, it gives advice; I particularely liked the advice given "what to take to hospital".  The ideas that are suggested on the forum come from the experiential learning of others - where else would we have such a collection of information.

I think it is wonderful that you have shared with the forum that you are a Dr, I imagine some of your colleagues would not support you visiting site like this; you have a valuable insight into the medical world through AN eyes.  I have a past life in the medical profession and I struggled with friends suggesting that it is not good to 'know too much' or to read too much information on the internet it will only upset you.  I believe I would feel a lot worse waking from surgery potentially with a variety of symtoms that without prior knowledge would freak out the best of us. 

Look forward to hearing more of your story.

Kimbo.

Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 05:47:26 pm »
Hi Doc and welcome!
This site has been an amazing source of support and information and I am grateful to be a part of the group.

You have quite a story, thanks for sharing.  I was basically asymptomatic except for facial pain last January and for a few days again in April.  Mentioned it to my PCP and she ordered an MRI.  I had no hearing issues (I'm a musician) or balance issues.  One minute you're healthy, the next you're not.  A real shocker to a healthy and active 48 year-old.  Right up until the day before surgery I was running 4 or 5 miles a day.

I'm now 10 weeks post-op and doing really well. I'm back to work full-time (I'm a dean of students), back to running, and starting to feel more and more like myself.  Because my schwannoma originated from the trigeminal nerve, it's not officially an AN but they let me hang out here anyway.  Surgery was relatively short (5 hours) and complication-free and I was home in short order.  I have lingering side-effects, some of which may not resolve, but I can live with that.  The third branch of the trigeminal was the most insulted so I have numbness, tingling, pins and needles and at times, pain.  I think it is getting better every day but the progress is so slow (and I'm so impatient) that it's hard to know.

I have a hearing test next week but I expect it will show very little hearing loss.  My facial nerve was moved just a little so I have slight facial weakness. This is only noticeable to me but I am annoyed that I can't whistle. 

Most of us do quite well, with varying degrees of complications and side effects.  I'm sorry any of us have to go through this but the experience has given me a fresh outlook on life and for that I am grateful.

I will send good thoughts your way.  Is it true that doctors make the worst patients?   ;)

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 06:18:05 pm »
Marci,  men in general make the worst patients, followed by doctors and nurses, equally!!   ;D

Dr. D -

Welcome!  I'm a little late, sorry...  I see you've already gotten lots of welcomes and good advice (which is odd for a doctor to have to take our advice, isn't it?).  As you've probably already found out, it's a lot different being the one diagnosed with it than the one doing the diagnosing.

Glad you found us!  You'll find that Maggie's zoo analogy can be quite accurate at times!   :D  We may not be able to cure you, but we can make you smile in the mean time, right?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dufreyne

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 11:28:31 pm »
Many thanks for a strong welcome to a warm community of friends--it is very much appreciated.

I'd like to answer a few posts:

1  Jan:  With respect to the BAHA device, I must confess that prior to my diagnosis, I was unaware of the specifics other than to know that it was a hearing aid device when the cochlea was no longer functional.  It seems to have several advantages over the CROS in a head to head matchup.  I found an interesting journal article on this topic that directly compares both devices. You can copy and paste the link below to check out the abstract.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12544032?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Also, thanks for the tip about the calender.

With respect to the tonsillectomy, in hindsight, I do think my ENT jumped the gun.  However, if he hadn't performed the tonsillectomy, then I probably wouldn't have pursued the diagnosis of AN.  You see, it was about 4 weeks after the tonsillectomy that I experienced the vertigo and hearing loss (but it only lasted a short while).  I was convinced that it was a complication from the surgery, which is the only reason I contacted the ENT.  I know myself, I would most certainly have blown it off if I didn't think the two were connected.  I am now, in hindsight, grateful as this was caught while still small.

2.  Sue in Vancouver:  I live in southern Oregon.  A medium sized town called Medford.  It's about half way between Portland and San Francisco.  Nice place to live, but it is growing too fast.  Thanks for the tips about the photos, I'll check it out.   With respect to the nomenclature of "Acoustic Neuroma" vs. "Vestibular Schwannoma" it is annoying.  I tend to use the more customary name, Acoustic Neuroma, but I cringe a little while saying it. 

3.  OMG16:  Sounds like it was a rough road for quite a while.  I would be interested in the details of your story, if it's not too personal.  I love your positive attitude.

4.  Jim:  You have quite a story and series of events that led to your luck.  You know what they say, "it's better to be lucky than good," at least in Blackjack.  Sounds like you had a great team of doctors and nurses working on your behalf to deliver a comprehensive treatment to your situation.  We're very lucky that some individuals have devoted so much time and effort to deal with our diagnosis.  By the way, you have a knack for writing.  Ever given it any thought?

5.  Arushi:  With respect to physicians and their thought process about making a diagnosis, there are a few things to bear in mind.  In medical school and residency, physicians are taught to look for patterns and to try to have all of the patient's symptoms fit neatly into one single diagnosis.  They actually have a name for this it is called "Ockham's Razor".  In reality, what occurs is one of two things. Patient's either neatly fit into a certain diagnostic pattern or they fall out.  Physicians, like all people, vary in their ability to deal with the unknown, as it is uncomfortable.  You will find docs who enjoy the challenge of a diagnositic dilemma and those who are put off by it.  In my own practice, I look at it as a puzzle.  Sometimes all the pieces come together nicely and sometimes they don't--those are the cases that ultimately are the most satisfying as it challenges your abilities and forces you to dig deeper. With respect to our particular diagnosis of Acoustic Neuroma, this is one of the most difficult diagnosis for multiple reasons.  First, for every case of AN that a doctor diagnoses, he has seen hundreds of patients with vertigo, headache, dysequilibrium and hearing loss.  Until our medical system allows for an MRI for all patient's who have any or all of the clinical signs of AN, we are stuck in the current algorithm.  The diagnostic clue that gets the attention of docs most is unilateral hearing loss of sensorineural origin.  Until that happens, you are misdiagnosed with 'labrynthitis' or 'benign positional vetigo' or 'otosclerosis' or a 'middle ear infection' or 'mastoiditis'.  I'm hopeful that with the advent of more and more MRI centers, this diagnosis will be made earlier and earlier.  Most experts note that they are seeing cases of smaller AN's.  I hope this trend continues.

6.  Phyl:  Thanks for the "wellness wishes".  It is appreciated. 

7.  Kimbo:  You're right about the humor aspect of all this.  It truly keeps us sane while facing down some difficult circumstances.  I also think it sets a good example for our friends and family who are watching us go through this.  Someday, they will likely be experiencing a significant medical diagnosis-one way or another.  It is then that they will remember how you got through your difficult diagnosis. 

8.  Marci:  You're right about the "fresh outlook on life".  I've found myself enjoying every waking (and sleeping!) moment.  I'm 42 and figure, with good odds, I'm about half way through life.  I've done some things well and other things, not so well.  I have made good choices and some bad ones.  For the second half, I'd like to work on making better choices.  After the diagnosis sunk in, I had this moment of clarity like nothing I've experienced before.  I found myself knowing, with certainty, what was important in my life and what was simply window-dressing.  There was no grey zone--simply important or not.  The important things were all the classic ones, family, friends, relationships.  But I really knew it.  Things that lost all importance included material items, money issues and inconsequential bad feelings.  It was so strange, generally I tend to see shades of grey, but this time it was instantaneously clear.  That's gotta be positive...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:28 am »
Welcome, Doc - sorry you have to join us, but glad you found us.  I found this site (well, actually my hubby found it) the night I got my diagnosis.  I read into the wee hours of the morning - some of what I read scared me, but most of what I read was comforting.  And, this forum helped me to put a human face on a terribly frightening diagnosis.  I've made some good friends here, and continue to stay active because I know from personal experience how helpful it is to hear from people who are "on the other side." 

As an aside, I used photobucket to upload my picture to this site.  And, you can update your "signature" info from your own profile pate (click on Profile above). 

Debbi, sending you good wishes from New Jersey - the Right coast...   ;)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

dufreyne

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 12:47:32 pm »
Debbi:

Thanks for the well wishes.  Sounds like you had a few bumps in the road, but are perservering very well.  I hope to maintain the same positive attitude.  I'm headed for surgery later this month.  I'm working a fair amouint--trying to stay busy. 

Dufreyne

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 01:29:22 pm »
Hi Again Dufreyne,

Medford is a nice town.  I went to school for one year at, what was then, SOC.  Ashland was a pretty little town.  I even took a Shakespeare class and had Dr. Angus Bowman as our teacher.  That was a real fun treat.  Every town seems to be growing.  We drove through Grants Pass a year or so ago, and I'd lived there as a child.  It's so different!  If you went to high school in Medford, then, of course, we are bitter rivals, as I went to Roseburg High School!  ;) ;D    My neighbor two doors up went to South Eugene High.  We had to give each other a bad time about that, when we found out!  :)

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing okay. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
RHS Class of '64
SOC - '64-'65
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sgerrard

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »
Welcome Dr. Dufreyne!

I am also a big fan of The Shawshank Redemption. As the one moderator on the west coast, I can extend you a special welcome to our forum. I have just returned from a visit to Ashland, where my father was having a new hip installed. For all I know, you may be the urologist he sees in Medford.

I live in Portland, and another member, who posts as 4cm in Pacific Northwest, but now goes by Daisy Head Mazey, also lives in this area, and had surgery with Dr. Jackler at Stanford about a year ago. You might try to contact her if you are interested in her perspective. We also have a Portland ANA chapter that meets every few months, you are welcome to come up and join us if you have the time. DHM is now co-chair of the group, and has arranged for a facial retraining specialist to give us a presentation December 6th.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7537.msg79500#msg79500
Maybe you could claim the trip as a professional expense, in which case you could buy us all a latte!   ;)

I really appreciate your remarks about the diagnostic process as it relates to acoustic neuromas. I had a friend in college who went on to medical school, and told me that they summed it up in the adage "when you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." I am afraid that we are the zebras, and that acoustic neuroma (or vestibular schwannoma) will always be fairly far down the list of diagnoses to be considered. Perhaps one day, though, an MRI around age 50 will become as common as a colonoscopy, as a suggested screening for what seems to be a pretty wide range of things that can go wrong in the noggin.

Thanks for joining us, and I hope your upcoming surgery goes flawlessly.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.