Author Topic: Getting ready for retrosigmoid  (Read 21616 times)

jtd71465

Re: Getting ready for retrosigmoid
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 05:26:04 pm »
Not sure you will get nervous, I know for me that hardest part was the pre-treatment time.  Once I decided on a treatment method it was like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. 

I wish you the best,

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 05:00:24 am »
Hi Cab,

Your post requested feedback relative to surgery and recovery time.  My middle fossa surgery was 4 hours.  At HEI, you are in ICU for 24 hrs. Then you are discharged to the sixth floor. My stay at the hospital was four days.

My biggest side effect the first five weeks was fatigue ( I took naps daily for the first few weeks) and my right eye did not tear at first.  However, it was moist enough that I didn't need daily drops.  I went to an opthamologist in Hinsdale that works with AN's. He, too, said that my eye closed correctly and was okay.  He said sometimes the lack of tears might last for 3 month to a year to..... My tears did return right after New Years and my operation was in November.

There were a couple of times I felt off balance during recovery.  Like many on this listserv, it seemed to be at night.  Like one night I woke up in the middle of the night for a drink of water and while trying to walk around the dog,I walked into the furniture.  Or the time I just finished telling the hair stylist that I was doing great and she asked me to stand up for a moment to sweep all the clippings and I stood up and veered into the wall.  We both laughed....but truly those are the extremes and happened during the first five weeks after my surgery. 

I was able to return to work full time after five weeks as a Curriculum Director for a large suburban school district. That being said, Keep in mind the uniqueness of the experience for each individual.  Know that your outcome and experience will be as varied as the darn tumors themselves.  But go in with an expectation that you will recover and move on.  Soon you will be on the other side of the mountain coaching others. 

There was a movie called, Pay It Forward with Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt.  Its theme was that the way to pay someone back for good fortune is to "pay it forward".

This is my hope for you as you journey along the AN path. 

All the best,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:03:52 am by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

cabram

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »
Had my pre surgery testing today, took about 4 hours ( blood, ekg,xrays), they also gave me some antibiotic shampo to use the night before and morning of.   Here we go !!  6 days and counting ::)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 12:01:26 am »
Hang in there Cab - as Joe said, deciding on a treatment option is like a weight being lifted off your shoulders.

Try to relax and chill out for the next 6 days - before you know it, you'll be a postie! 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 07:55:48 pm »
Hello Cab:  I hadn't replied to your post until now.   I do wish you a successful surgery. 

Remember, post op is tough, no getting around it.
You may feel like a mac truck hit for a few weeks.   You will sleep ALOT - & please do, your body is letting you know you need it. 
You'll have to 're-adjust' your balance - when you walk at 1st it may feel like you're walking on a plank suspended by wires on a windy day....   
 My headaches started when I returned home & continued nonstop for a few weeks.

I did end up with facial paralysis, but this is not the norm (thank God - I was told 5% chance, it has not been easy but I am getting thru it).
My eye issues continue, that's the next thing I need to take care of.

I had my mom stay with me for 2 weeks after I got home - the 1st week I couldn't clean, do laundry or shop.  Just didn't have the energy
(or the balance).  You will need someone with you.

I will be sending out positive thoughts  & prayers for you.    Try to keep a peaceful heart during this time,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

sgerrard

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »
Best wishes on the surgery, Cab. As I understand it, when you first wake up, you won't feel too great, but it gets better every hour, day, and week after that.  Just plan on hibernating for a while, and perking up again in spring, which is not that far away now.

Its good to know that you will have clean hair on the day of surgery.  :D

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jtd71465

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 08:36:26 am »
Cab-

Just to give you some reassurance when I woke after my surgery it was not as bad as everyone describes....even my Dr.'s had put the worse possible scenarios in my head (no pun intended).  One told me the room would be spinning and I would most likely be vomiting...they made it seem like this would last for days. 

I did not vomit(but did have that nauseating feeling in recovery which I was given medication for), the room was spinning but not that I just drank 12 beers with my buddies spinning.  It was a slow spin that lasted for 1.5 days.  I ate breakfast the morning following my surgery (I had my surgery from 5PM - 8:30PM).

If you want to know my hospital stay day by day don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes and stay calm,

Joe
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 08:56:22 am »
cab, hope you are hanging in there... please remember "individual results may vary" and sending wishes for a terrific procedure.  Sending wellness huggles and will look forward to seeing you on the "postie" (post-treatment) side! :)

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jtd71465

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 05:31:53 pm »
I 100% agree with Phyl, individual result do vary...but hearing and keeping a positive attitude are very helpful as one approaches surgery.

Joe-
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 06:01:57 pm »
Hi Cab,
Just wanted you to know I am thinking and praying for you.  My surgery was 2/16/07 and my first MRI last month was negative.  You are going into this surgery with a positive attitude and confidence in your doctor....that goes a long way.  The surgery was not as bad or debilitating as I had expected.  My surgery was 5-1/2 hours and just seven days later I was walking into Dr. Stefan's office to be released!  I just wanted it "out and gone" which was a big relief once the surgery was over.  I have had headaches but I had headaches prior to surgery and off and on for years.  Soon you will have the surgery behind you and be on the road to recovery.  We are all here to support you in anyway we can.   
Jean in MS
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

OMG16

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 10:18:15 pm »
I was just thinking of you and wanted to tell you I will be praying for you on the 13th and wish you well!  Kisses to your forehead.  :-*:-*:-*:-* 1 :-*:-*
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 09:58:06 pm »
If my memory is working correctly (sometimes it doesn't - I had brain surgery you know LOL) tomorrow is Cab's big date with the surgeon.

Hope all goes well Cab.  I'm thinking about you and praying for a short, uncomplicated recovery.

Best wishes,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Glenda

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 10:17:55 pm »
Hi Cab, I just wanted to let you know I am praying for you! I hope you have a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!  God Bless!  Please give us an update when you are able!  BIG HUGS to you!!!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

cabram

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 04:41:55 am »
Well, today is the day, I'm heading out to hospital. Just wanted to say thanks to all.  Talk to you in a few days !!

C

hendi51

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 07:48:09 am »
Good luck C. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn