Author Topic: Getting ready for retrosigmoid  (Read 21615 times)

lori67

Re: Getting ready for retrosigmoid
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 09:06:56 am »
No opinions to offer today - just wanted to say good luck!   :)
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cabram

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 09:18:18 am »
sgerrard
From what I remember in the office he said " the tumor was not in the location he expected it, (after 2nd MRI that was more accurate than 1st). he said it's good because the tumor was up and to the left.  I have sent him an email to clarify. Will post once I get it. Either case he did say excellent chance !! that works for me, even though  I know anything can happen.

omg16
Complications are still the same ones that are posted ( CSF leak, Anesthesia issues, headaches) and are pretty much standard.

More to come  ;D

cabram

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:20:00 am »
No opinions to offer today - just wanted to say good luck!   :)
Lori

THANKS !!!!!

OMG16

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11:09 pm »
I will add your surgery date to my calander and add you to my prayers.  Thank you for your answer, I just get a little confused sometimes.  Could you have someone post after your surgery so that we can know how you are progressing.  I think that most of us are like worried Mothers when our forum members are having surgery.  I wish you the best!  Have a great day!  ;D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Static

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 03:46:51 pm »
Cab,
Will be thinking of you and wishing you the best outcome and recovery!  Take care of yourself!  :)
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 06:33:33 pm »
Cab -

Phyl summed things up very nicely in her earlier post - thank you, Phyl  :)  Regardless of your treatment choice, we are all here for you and we all wish you the best possible outcome.

You sound like you have a wonderful comfort level with your doctor, which in my opinion is key.  I had complete faith in my doctors and it definitely made a difference in my anxiety level both pre and post op.

Keep us posted as time goes on and good luck on 2/13; I'll be thinking about you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:54 pm »
sgerrard
From what I remember in the office he said " the tumor was not in the location he expected it, (after 2nd MRI that was more accurate than 1st). he said it's good because the tumor was up and to the left.  I have sent him an email to clarify. Will post once I get it. Either case he did say excellent chance !! that works for me, even though  I know anything can happen.
More to come  ;D

Good. I join the others in supporting you in your decision, it is never an easy one to make. The one thing I do know is that now is the time to ask the questions; afterwards is not. If he means up and to the left as in away from the nerves and easy to pluck off, so much the better!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cabram

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:22 am »
info from Dr. about position of tumor

Your tumor lies WITHIN the Internal Auditory Canal (IAC). It does not fill the canal, but it most certainly does lie within it as I have demonstrated to you.

All wounds heal by “scarâ€? formation. Yours will be a vertically oriented, slightly curved line just behind your ear, within the hair line, extending towards the upper portion of your neck.  I will reconstruct the portion of skull that I need to remove in order to gain access to the tumor. I generally use a titanium mesh plate held in with some tiny titanium screws. The plate is a “permanentâ€? one and will help to reduce post-operative headaches that are ordinarily experienced after these operations.

Boy this really sounds  nice !!  :'(

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 10:03:45 am »
Hi Cab,

Well, to me, sounds about right. Like your's, mine did not "fill" the IAC but lays in it kinda sideways, almost like an egg, but doesn't touch the walls of the IAC... but this is based on what I could tell that you wrote.  When I look at mine on the MRI films, I see it width-wise, but not top to bottom as much, if that make sense.  As long as it is still in the IAC and not into the CP Angle region (mine was definately pointing in that direction with a hint of it peeking into the CP angle region), sounds like you definately caught it in time before it could really wreck some havoc :)   That may help bring you some peace of mind :)

Although I did not have the micro-surgery, what you note, if my old-age memory serves me right, sounds about the same as many here have had done. Hoping many here will chime in to let you know and how they did post surgery.  I know it is tough to hear from the dr's when they provide the "anticeptic" version, but... I have faith in the folks on this forum to help bring some peace of mind as well.

Hang tough!!!!!!  we're cheering you on.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 12:21:37 pm »
I know the doctors version can seem harsh, but sometimes there's something reassuring in knowing that the doctor finds this to be routine and seems totally comfortable with it.  i think I'd be a little worried if he seemed to be completely worked up about it.

I know you'll do well.  You seem to educated yourself on what to expect so there shouldn't be too many surprises along the road.  Hopefully if there are, they are pleasant ones!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 08:05:22 pm »
Cab -

your doc's description sounds fairly typical and what he's saying isn't as creepy as it may sound. 

my AN was inside the inner ear canal also.  I had retrosigmoid and my scar looks a lot like the one in the description.  My scar is not noticeable at all, in fact, my hair was growing in around it a few days post op.  I also have a titanium mesh plate and screws in my head, along with some fat that they took from the left side of my abdomen - quite common with AN surgery.  I don't know if the titanium plate helps reduce headaches or not, but for what it's worth, I have had no headaches that can be attributed to my surgery. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cabram

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:40 am »
Welll, getting close !!! I have my pre-op appointment this Thurs. Operation on Wed....
I'm still doing ok, not to nervous.......yet !!

Esperanza

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 11:44:03 am »
Just wanted to add my very best wishes for a successful op. and a speedy recovery....   :)

Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

elise

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 01:07:25 pm »
for what it's worth, if i had to decide again, i would  go for surgery instead of GK treatment...at the time of my decision their were no top notch surgeons in my area, something which greatly affected my choice, wasn't and amn't afraid of minute chance of developing malignancy or anything, just that it's still there 6 years later, and has started growing again. my choice for radiation at that time complicates what i do with it now. those surgeons are pros and are interested in racking up their successes in the field...don't worry, be informed and get it behind you...

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:35 pm »
cab,

sending wishes to you as you prep for your surgery.... will be watching for updates and onward and upward to "postie" (post-treatment) status! :) 

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"