Author Topic: One week 'til I'm rid of Lefty, that jerk.  (Read 34142 times)

DHJ

Re: One week 'til I'm rid of Lefty, that jerk.
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »
  Hi Jamie   I am so glad that you are home.Last year I returned home on Dec. 13 th after 5 weeks in the hospital and it was wonderful to sleep in my own bed. My Picc line was in for 8 weeks and I had a serious reaction to Vancomycin that caused all my skin to peel. The Doctors took me off the steroids early due to my infection so I never experienced the puffiness.
               Returning home was the beginning of the end of my nightmare and now one year later it does seam like a bad dream.Rest, listen to your Docs,remain strong and know that there are better days coming Today I put up Christmas lights,went to the gym, and met my wife for Sushi.Life is good and it will be that way for you again also.  Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Pattiken

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 01:00:00 am »
Jamie's,

So glad to hear that you're finally 'home'!  Sounds like you've been to hell and back.  Good for you looking at the bright side of this not so great journey.  I was on steroids for a month once and it was a sobering experience to say the least.  You'll return to normal pretty quickly once you get off of them. 
Keep smiling and know lots of people are rooting for you!

Hugs,

Patti

skipg

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 07:06:57 am »
 Hi Jamie,
I feel bad for you, knowing what you have gone through, but.....
Nothing says it better than your comment "what is six weeks compared to a lifetime!". With an attitude like that you are already doing better than most people in your situation. You have been given good advice here now rest and let our prayers be with you.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

kmr1969

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 10:13:03 am »
Jamie,

So glad to see your post.  I have been praying for you to catch a break.

Sounds like you are well on your way to overcoming your setback and back on your road to recovery.

Best wishes for continued progress.  If you get a chance to have lunch with Patti (pattiken) you should do it.  She is a neat lady.  She had surgery the day after me at the House Clinic.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

lrobie

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »
Hi Jamie,

I'm glad to hear you are back on the road to recovery.  How are you doing with the symptoms/side effects of the AN surgery?  I know you were feeling a little discouraged.

Take care,

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 02:15:11 pm »
Hi, Jamie ~

Thanks for the update.

Your post-op complications are certainly not any fun but you're handling them as well as anyone could.  Having patience and the realization that this is a few weeks out of your life and it will all pass is exactly the kind of attitude that will make the inconvenience and temporary physical discomfort and changes bearable.  Once you're healed, a healthy diet, some exercise and your body's natural inclination to normalcy will kick in and I'm sure you'll be looking and feeling good, soon.  Your youth will be a positive factor in your recovery and with your positive attitude, you should be back to 'yourself' within a few short months. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sheila1977

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »
Jamie,
Adding my well wishes and gladness that you are home and healing.  We have been and will continue to pray for you.
s
7mm AN June 2011
Almost doubled in July 2012
Translab Sep 2012 at Kaiser San Diego

geexploitation

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:09 pm »
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all of your complications. I was hoping that your surgery and recovery would be easy. Good luck on all of this. Your attitude of "what's six weeks" is right on the money -- you will get through this and feel better. As I reach my five-month anniversary (tomorrow) I keep thinking "I can't believe just how badly I felt only a five months ago." Someday you will do the same -- it will be a memory and far, far from the daily reality of your life.
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.

Glenda

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:49 pm »
Hi Jamie,

So sorry for everything you have been through. You have a Great attitude!  I'm sure next year you will be able to look back on this as a bad dream....I'm glad you are out of the hospital and steroids can do a number on our bodies but it will be back to normal once you are off of them.  Praying you heal fast sweetheart!!  Hang in there, you are a trooper!!
Hope you have a Merry Christmas and enjoy being with family!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

BRS89

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »
Hoping everything is still ok.

Pajamas

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:24 pm »
Hi All,

Yes, everything is still ok. I am finally living back at my own house (I came back just before Christmas), I started school and work back up today, and though I feel weak and tired all the time, I am actually feeling pretty good over all.

I had an MRI this past Friday and will get the results at my doctor appointment this Wednesday. I am hoping that the infection has not only ceased to spread, but ceased entirely. If so I will be able to have my PICC line removed. If not, they will extend the treatment period. I'm going on six weeks now with this PICC line and boy let me tell you, it's a pain is the *$#!

It's been such a long road. I NEVER thought I would be back at school and work, let alone back today. If felt so great to be around my coworkers and classmates.

Like I said, I'm still really weak and tired, I still also have some balance issues that seem to SLOWLY be getting better. Overall I am happy to be here, happy to be alive, and happy to be on track to graduate in June!

xo
Jamie
Irvine, CA ~ Female ~ 32
10mm x 5mm x 6mm AN Left Side
Diagnosed: 9/19/12
Removed: 11/7/12
* Retrosigmoid Endoscopic w/Dr. John Frazee @ UCLA

skipg

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 07:22:14 am »
Glad to hear that everything is coming together for the better. You are an inspiration to many, thanks for sharing your story with us.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

kmr1969

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:46 pm »
Jamie,

Very impressive on your return to work and school.

I just started back to work yesterday and I didn't have any big complication like you did.  I hope you get good news from your MRI and can say adios to the PICC line.

My wife set up a Caringbridge site for me which I posted to during my time in California and then my initial recovery time back at home.  After you had posted about your infection, I mentioned you on my site and asked people to think good thoughts and, if so inclined, to say a prayer for you.  You may be happy to know that most people don't ask how I am doing anymore, but they ask how YOU are doing.  I will be happy to let them know that Jamie from UCLA is doing well.

Happy New Year,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

dtorres135

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »
sorry to hear about the infection.  Like you I am terrified of facial paralysis.  I will have this done over the summer.  scared to death.  what is SSD?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:45 pm »
sorry to hear about the infection.  Like you I am terrified of facial paralysis.  I will have this done over the summer.  scared to death.  what is SSD?

SSD is an acronym for Single Side Deaf.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.