Author Topic: surgery in the morning  (Read 22628 times)

lrobie

Re: surgery in the morning
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 06:32:00 am »
Karen,

Welcome to the other side.  I'm so glad to hear from you, but sorry they couldn't get all of the tumor.  I told the doctors that if mine was sticky and attached that I wanted them to leave some there.  I wish you well on your road to recovery and can't wait to compare notes.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

It is what it is

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 07:03:02 am »
Hi Lisa, 

Yes, they did what they needed to do in order to decrease facial paralysis.  I am grateful and I totally trust these surgeons. 

How are you and everyone else on this side of treatment?  My respect for you has only increased.  Life is good. 

Karen   
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

It is what it is

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 07:10:20 am »
Hi Kathy and all,

I posted a response and then shut down my phone when a nurse came to the room.  It doesn't look like the reply was entered. 

My respect for all you posties has increased.  The support to each other and those new to the list is invaluable. 

With warmth and caring to all.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

New girl

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:11 am »
Congrats on making it through surgery!   ;D  I, like Lisa, also had an understanding with my surgeons that they would leave behind tumor to preserve the facial nerve.  I was told without the blood supply from the larger tumor mass the cells should die.  Take care of yourself.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

It is what it is

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 08:18:34 am »
Thanks!  That's very encouraging information for me to hear right now!   :)

Karen

It is what it is

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »
We are back in Seton Hall waiting for the appointment on Friday to remove staples and stitches and have followup exams.  It was great to go for a walk outside balancing on my husband's arm as we smelled the fragrant flowers in sunny California.  Life is good.  Hope all of you are doing well.

Karen

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:32 pm »
Hi Karen
Glad to hear your doing great. You take it easy and rest walk rest walk. LOL The House team & St Vincent team are wonderful and I'm thankful for having such wonderful surgeons and care there.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

It is what it is

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 06:54:50 pm »
I agree with you Mindy?  :)

BlueSky

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »
Glad you made it through surgery ok and your on the other side of this! Congrats and keep staying positive.

It is what it is

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »
Thanks and the same to all of you who have paved the way for those of us who are following.

Karen

lrobie

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:42 am »
Karen,

How is your balance?  Mine hasn't been the greatest.  I feel like I'm under the influence all the time and I'm not sure if this is what people describe as wonky-head. 

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

It is what it is

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 06:47:51 am »
Hi Lisa,  my balance is also strange.  I keep reading other's words to try to describe this sensation to my family. Thanks for sharing you are still experiencing it.  It helps me not to have unrealistic expectations that this will soon pass.  Do you still have to hold on to someone or something for safety?

I loved reading your Caring Bridge.  It helped me a lot.

I care

Karen     

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:00 am »
Dear Karen,

Welcome to the other side! It is much brighter here! Your balance problems would be much reduced if you walked around with a cane. (Just a suggestion!!!)

I sometimes forget mine when I get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I should talk!

Luckily, I have a four poster bed which reduces my wobbliness when I grab it.

Good luck with your balance, as you know there is a lot of information on the balance forum.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

lrobie

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »
Karen,

At first, I was holding on to my husband's beltloop.  I walk on my own now, but it isn't always easy.  I thought about a cane, but I didn't want to rely on it.  I went to physical therapy yesterday.  I'm not sure if they are focusing on my balance as it was more strengthening exercises.  I did get a copy of balance exercises from Clarice which I have found to be helpful.  I can't remember her forum name off hand...it's something like CHD63.  If you PM her, she will email them to you for when you're up to it.

Thanks for caring and for reading my CaringBridge messages.  You've been through a lot as well and I think about you often.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

It is what it is

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »
Terms like bobble head make sooooo much more sense to me now.  :)
I had to go on an antibiotic today due to bacteria but I'm practicing my balance exercises and walking on and off.  It feels great to get outside.  Others seem bothered by the heat in southern California. I'm enjoying it.  Friday staples come out. 

How are all of you?

Karen