Author Topic: Marianna's updates  (Read 21153 times)

Kaybo

Re: Marianna's updates
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 02:30:55 pm »
Thanks so much for the update...tell we are all pulling for her!! I wish you both PATIENCE during the coming days & weeks...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »
Great news so far! Surgery went well, so that is out of the way and now comes recovery. Hope it smooth, uneventful and painless!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jackie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:32 pm »
Vas,

Please let Marianna know that Blessings and prayers are reaching all the way from Oregon to you and your family for a speedy, uneventful
recovery! Time to pamper her big time! So glad she has you to care for her. She is truly blessed!
jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »
Thank you so much, Vas, for the update.

Please tell Marianna she is in our thoughts and prayers; you are too.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
Thanks for the update, Vas! We are all relieved the surgery went well and we are anxious to hear how Marianna is doing in recovery.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

opp2

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:33 pm »
I understand that Vas is not with Marianna as she has her surgery. Her Mom is with her and Vas is with the kids. I am hoping that all is well, and I have the most faith in mk and Dr. A.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

mk

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:54 am »
Hi folks,
Yesterday Marianna was released from the ICU and is now residing in a regular room in the Hospital
Her recovery is progressing more or less as expected at this early stage.
She has some numbness on that side but she retains feeling.
She is also able to open and close the eye, albeit with small difficulty.
Her biggest malaise is the post-operation nausea, which is still present and restrict feeding of solid food and sitting upright for too long.
It is correct that I am not with her (her mother is) but I talk to her twice daily and she seems in very high-spirit
I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and wishes.
Yesterday when I mentioned to her that I keep the forum up-to-date she was quite pleased, which indicate that she also has a soft side for the forum participants
Best regards to all
Vas
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

opp2

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:46:17 am »
Thanks Vas. I'm sure it is tough for you to be away from Marianna. Thank you so much for updating us. Tell Marianna Nikki said- take the gravol!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 09:57:17 pm »
This is good news. Out of the ICU and no major side effects. We all hope for Marianna's continued and quick recovery.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MARAKI

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:32 am »
The news are wonderful! The symptoms you mentioned are expected after the long surgery and she certainly needs some days to recover from narcosis.
Please keep us inform for her condition!
I hope the best for her!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 05:32:07 am »
Vas

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on Marianna.  Please let her know that I am sending the infamous "healing hugglezzz" and sending wishes for a speedy recovery!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MNTim

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 09:44:52 am »
Vas,

Glad to hear all is progressing as expected.  The nausea is difficult but will subside over a couple of days.  That coupled with swelling and other side effects are probably making her feel incredibly uncomfortable.  In a couple of weeks she will wonder what all of the fuss was about.

Best Wishes,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

jerseygirl

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59:30 am »
Vas,

The first few days most patients take large doses of steroids that make them very nauseous. Steroids and anesthesia are two main culprits for nausea. I would ask her doctor how many more days she needs  steroids. They made me very nauseous. Otherwise, great news!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

mk

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:40 am »
 :)
Hi Folks
Marianna will be discharged from the hospital today
Her recovery rate is more than pleasing.
She has been weaned-off the medication (steroids & morphine) and she is only taking Tylenol by mouth. She feels much stronger and is able to travel small distances without the walker. Yesterday she also came up & down a flight of stairs, albeit being helped by the physiotherapist.

Post operation, Marianna developed a very mild facial weakness, unnoticeable to the untrained eye. The doctor expects it to slowly resolve over time. She also has a small difficulty focusing vision, but this is already improving with each passing day being better than the day before.
Furthermore, she is experiencing some recovery in the trigeminal nerve functions which alleviate some mild but very annoying ailments like the chronic dryness in the eye

All and all we feel the situation is as good as it could possibly be

I would like to than everyone for their kind words and comments.
This is probably my last update.
In the following days Marianna will be contacting the thread herself  :D
Best regards
Vas
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

novagirl

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 09:52:29 am »
Dear Vas - just wanted to join the others here in thanking you for posting the updates. I am overjoyed to hear about her recovery! Lots of love to your entire family and continued wishes of good health.
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm