Author Topic: Mid Fossa Scheduled 3/3 with Dr Friedman  (Read 23417 times)

stephanie_megan

• Spouse of AN Patient
Mid Fossa Scheduled 3/3 with Dr Friedman
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »
I'm a First time poster :-)

My Husband Kevin is having Mid Fossa surgery at House with Dr. Friedman on Wednesday March 3.  We live in Chicago, so we have to travel.  Wondering if anyone has any advice for post-op living out there.  I think I'll stay at the Seton Guest Center, but his parents are coming too and I'm not sure they'll be able to get a room too. 

Any little bits of advice will be appreciated!

So far we're very impressed with Dr. Friedman.  Has been communicating with me via email and phone almost non stop for a few days now. 

Feel free to email me directly or post back here. 

Thanks!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Mid Fossa Scheduled 3/3 with Dr Friedman
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:25:58 pm »
Hello and welcome, Stephanie!

I'm sorry your husband has to deal with an acoustic neuroma but I'm pleased that you've discovered the ANA website and the Discussion Forums, which I believe (ahem) are a valuable resource for AN patients. 

Although you didn't state it directly, I gathered from your post that your husband is having AN removal surgery at the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, California and that Dr. Rick Friedman will be his primary doctor.  From the accounts of our members that have opted for treatment at HEI, many with Dr. Friedman, I think it's safe to say that your husband is in good hands.

I didn't have my AN surgery at HEI, so I'm unable to offer the information you're seeking.  However, I have no doubt that many posters will be adding to this thread quite soon and supplying the information you asked for.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the responses you'll receive in a fairly short period of time, because this is a very active message board with many members that are eager to help and advise.  I know you'll be glad you found us.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:59 pm »
Hi Stephanie!

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear that you husband is dealing with an AN.  It seems that he is very lucky to have a supportive wife to see him through this.

I did not have my surgery with Dr. Friedman, but I have heard a lot about him on this board and he has an excellent reputation.  I wish your husband a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:24:40 pm »
Hi, Stephanie,

As the others have said, I'm also sorry that your husband has been diagnosed with an AN, but I think you'll find some good information on this forum.

I had AN surgery (translab procedure) at House in January 2008 and can't say enough good things about the entire experience. My husband and I stayed at Seton and found it to be quite comfortable. If you do a search on "Seton" and "House" on this forum you'll find a tremendous number of posts that will give you some good ideas of what to expect.

A couple of things I like to suggest to future House patients include (1) renting a car with a GPS (if you're unfamiliar with the area); we couldn't have managed without a car, but I'll certainly add that I know lots of patients who didn't bother with a car and they did just fine, too. The freeways weren't quite as intimidating as we had feared and we did lots of driving around both before and after my surgery. And (2) if you have some frequent flyer miles you might want to consider upgrading your return flight to first class -- the extra room, quieter atmosphere, and speedier passage through LAX security were very much appreciated after surgery.

Best wishes as your husband's surgery date approaches -- he'll be in wonderful hands at House and St. Vincent's!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »
Hi, Stephanie...glad you've found us, but as others have noted, sorry you had to.  Dr. Friedman and Schwartz did my translab.  Both my mother and my husband flew out to LA with me.  My husband stayed at Seton, but my mother stayed at a nearby hotel - Kyoto Gardens.  I think Seton, in general, will only give a family one room per patient.  The folks at House will provide you with a list of local hotels.  The hotel offered a daily voucher for a free taxi to and from St. Vincent's every day, so it was very easy for my mom to get around.  She would go over to my husband's room in Seton every once in awhile for a nap or internet access, but returned to her hotel room every night.   My husband actually ended up sleeping in my hospital room every night, but he used the Seton room for naps and showers.

I agree with Catherine (JerseyGirl2) about the GPS if you rent a car.  We got a car, but not the GPS and were immediately sorry we hadn't. 

You are in great hands out there - you will feel such a peace when you first arrive and see both House and St. Vincent's.  Please let us know any other questions you may have - as Jim said, there are many of us here who are happy to help as best we can.

Take care of you and Kevin :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »
Hi, Stephanie -

I'm glad to hear that Kevin has made his surgery decision after cancelling with Dr. Wiet.

I hope everything goes well for him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:56 pm »
Hello Stephanie, sorry you guys had to find this club, but very glad you did...I sent you a PM with some very detailed info about my experiences at House...There's a lot there, but it should help.  Let me know if you need any more info or some clarification on what I sent you!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:46:32 pm »
I got me a good woman here don't I?
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:45:13 am »

Is Steph your better half? ;) You are VERY lucky if she is, as she's certainly looking out for you during this time. I know you have been tossing Chicago vs. HEI and sending wellness wishes with your upcoming procedure with Friedman.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stephanie_megan

• Spouse of AN Patient
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:33 am »
Thank you EVERYONE for your thoughts, prayers, advice and comments.  We're far better prepared with your information.  I'll keep y'all updated next week. 

Jeff

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 05:32:26 pm »
I wish you well. I have had 3 surgeries performed by Dr. F. He's a great guy. Please take care.
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »

Is Steph your better half? ;) You are VERY lucky if she is, as she's certainly looking out for you during this time. I know you have been tossing Chicago vs. HEI and sending wellness wishes with your upcoming procedure with Friedman.

Phyl

My better half she is :) It's been a torturous process deciding between Dr. Wiet and CEI and Dr. Friedman and HEI but in the end we felt that Dr. Friedman's experience and attitude were going to serve me well as we try to preserve some hearing in that right ear. Since there is no tumor on the right side I'm not NF2, yet.. it is always a possibility given my history so we felt we needed to do everything we could to save hearing on the left. Dr. Friedman has been outstanding, he has spent countless hours e-mailing and talking to us even tho his office has not been paid a dime by myself or my insurance company.

Had we followed the original plan I would be in the NICU post-op after having trans-lab right now.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Mei Mei

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:03:39 pm »
Dear Stephanie,
I was in contact with Dr. Friedman and he spent much time emailing me and talking with me over the phone.   You've made a fine choice.   He also recommended Mid Fossa for me but I chose to stay closer to home at Johns Hopkins.

You might want to get on the Willing to Talk list for more people that have been to House.   I spoke to someone in my neighborhood in Maryland that went out to House and spoke to me at length about the facilities.   Give it a try and best of luck!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

stephanie_megan

• Spouse of AN Patient
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:41:49 pm »
I'm in the process of packing for the trip.  Any "must have" items we should bring?

cindyj

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:17:37 pm »
Much discussed topic around here ;D  Here's one link to a discussion and there's a link within that link with even more info...Lip balm is the main theme in all of the threads I've ever seen on this topic!  Pack light, for sure!

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9251.0

Let us know if any thing else comes to mind that you'd like to know...best to both of you next week!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings