Author Topic: Questions about Seton Guest Center at St Vincent's Hospital  (Read 4300 times)

sdf350

Questions about Seton Guest Center at St Vincent's Hospital
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:07:34 pm »
My wife will be staying at Seton Guest Center during my surgical stay at St Vincent's.(One day prior to my surgery- my hospitalizaton- and the 1 week after my discharge--which hopefully I will also be there!)-then we can fly home to NY.  What do I need to take along with me to the hospital and do we need to take anything special along for our stay at the guest center?
Can you cook at the guest center? or make a cup of coffee or tea?
My wife will have a car for this 2 week period--is there parking there and is there a charge for parking at either the guest center or the hospital itself?
Can you walk from the guest center to the hospital? and how safe would it be for her to walk back to guest center after hospital visiting hours?
And any other info that you think I should know about.....
                                                                                 Thanks,
                                                                                       Scott
Scott- age 50
2.0 x 1.5 cm left "ice cream coned" AN
total sudden left side hearing loss
scheduled for translab at HEI on 11/03/06 with
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Questions about Seton Guest Center at St Vincent's Hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 05:31:50 pm »
sdf,
Each room has a coffee maker and a fridge, and there is a communal kitchen there along with a lounge with internet access and laundry facilities.  Seton Hall is actually attatched to the hospital. Totally safe as you don't even have to go outside.  Just follow the signs or pick up a floor plan when you check in. The cafeteria at St Vincents is great, cheap,  and she will be there with other AN patient's spouses, so she won't be alone for any meal. If you check in the night before your pre-ops, which I highly recommend, you will meet all the other patients and spouses in the cafeteria at dinner--you'll spot them, they'll be the ones in the "civvies." Heck, you might even meet people having their surgery at the same time through this forum-- I did!

I don't know about parking--we didn't have a car and saw no need to rent one. Believe me, you will not want to ride in a car post-op! Especiall out there with massive traffic.  Taxi from airport, taxi back to airport--no problem! The Hospital and Guest Center are in an ethnic neighborhood, mostly hispanic--we found some good Mexican food if you tire of the hospital stuff, but would not recommend walking there at night, especially  post-op. 
HEI has the whole 7th floor of St Vincents and each room is private and you will meet many other patients there. The nursing staff is great, and very helpful as are all the docs, techs, paper-pushers, everyone! They do a great job at making your experience there as tolerable as possible.  If you want to talk, message me and I'll give you my phone #.
Good Luck
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:30:36 am »

There is a parking garage .. we had a rent a car while we were there .. and the parking was free !! .  ;D

Yep, you will be with many other AN "guests" at the center, and their families, the hospital food and the Mexican delivery around is VERY good  ;D ;D.. but just down the street there are some great shopping as well!! checkout: http://www.farmersmarketla.com/
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

KenJen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 03:58:42 pm »
My husband had surgery in July of this yr. We stayed at Seaton Hall.  You can keep larger food items in the community kitchen if you like.  The hospital food was passable but it has changed since some of the posters here have been there.  The contract for the food service is no longer doing the up scale preparations.  Breakfast was good most days.  Try to go out if you can for lunch and dinner.  Don't walk anywhere after dark.  We rode the bus to The Grove and took a taxi some.  We were there a little longer than most so we had a lot of time to fill.  Take your own pillow if that is important to you.  We bought a little fan to have in our room for noise (we were use to that at home).  Seaton is a comfortable place, movies VHS in the family room.  I had a CD player and watched my own. Laundry is right there also.  Good Luck . You couldn't have chosen a better place. Hope you have a speedy recovery.  Let us know how you are doing.  Don't get discouraged. Talk about it.  KenJen
Translab - House 7/17/06
No facial problems but post and pre surgery  chronic dry eye in both eyes