Author Topic: So glad I came upon your group  (Read 4539 times)

Dzimy

So glad I came upon your group
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:03:06 pm »
I also have been reading all your stories same as sdf.  It is nice to know that we all have this in common.  I lost hearing in my left ear 3 years ago.  No one ever thought that my hearing loss (only on my left side) and headaches might be somehing more serious.  I had a retina hemorrage in my left eye and lost central vision.  This summer in June I again went to the retina Dr. He has observed optic nerve swelling in both eyes.  He requested an MRI be done.  This is how I found out of my AN.  He has also been quite concerned about my vision loss occuring in my right eye presently.  Dr. Schwartz did a lumbar puncture just yesterday to measure the pressure.  I don't think they are going to bump up surgery since it is scheduled in 10 days.  I wonder if anyone has had vision problems.  Nice to be onboard....Donna
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)

Boppie

Re: So glad I came upon your group
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:28:40 am »
Donna, I developed a very large floater in my right eye about 5 years ago.  An opthamologist diagnosed a detaching vitreous and said the detachment would probably progress until the vitreous sack had completely come loose.  I haven't experienced any further dramatic vision changes just the slowly changing need for new eyeglass presciptions.  The event surprised us and was very frightening at the time.  My AN was discovered just 10 weeks before surgery through a routine hearing test ordered for single sided hearing loss.  I had no other obvious symptoms.

If we weren't intelligent people who researched health issues we wouldn't know about the ANs we have.  I always remind myself that my grandparents' generation didn't have the MRI and the internet.

Good luck with the vision problems and your upcoming surgery.  I will be thinking about you a look forward to reading your recovery posts. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 08:39:45 am by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 01:19:49 am »
Hi Donna and welcome!  We're glad you came upon this site too but unf you're joining a very exclusvie group the hard way!  I see you're heading to house which has a great reputation...please keep us posted on how you do!  You'll find we are all one very big support for each other! 

Obita

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:03:15 pm »
Hi Dzimy Donna:

I didn't have eye problems but wanted to say HI.  (I guess I would have had problems soon - my dr. did touch my cornea with a q-tip and I didn't flinch)

My AN was 2.5 cm also.  I had translab in May of "04 and I am just fine.  If you have any questions, you can send me a note anytime.

Good luck in 10 days and please come back to post as a postie. 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:39:43 pm »
Hi Donna

I also wanted to wish you all the best with your surgery.  This is supposed to be so "rare", but new people come here every day it seems to talk about their AN.  It certainly isn't the road we all chose to take, but since we are on it, we might as well talk about the journey!  Good luck and let us know how you are doing. 

Sue in Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 05:18:13 pm »
Hi Donna,

I didn't have any eye problems either but I just wanted to tell you that you are in very good hands with the doctors that you have chosen. I have a friend in Chicago who had those doctors. She did very well! I too had surgery at House, if I can help in anyway just let me know. Whether you need to know what to take, or what Seton Hall is like, just send me an email. I will respond as soon as possible. You will be in my prayers and please keep us posted. We really do care about everyone on this website.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Laura

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 06:32:00 am »
Welcome aboard Donna and good luck with your surgery! Please let us know how everything goes. You have found a great caring group here!
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

sdf350

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:49:38 pm »
Hi Donna!!  So glad that you reached out, just like I did, to the people in this amazing group!! There is strength in numbers with people who truly care!  I will be pulling and praying for you on your upcoming surgery.  I will be having mine on 11/3 at HEI--so keep the bed warm for me!! Keep in touch after....
                                 Scott (sdf)
Scott- age 50
2.0 x 1.5 cm left "ice cream coned" AN
total sudden left side hearing loss
scheduled for translab at HEI on 11/03/06 with
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:13:47 pm »
HI DONNA,
     WELCOME. I AM SORRY YOU ARE HAVING TO JOIN THE "AN" CLUB, BUT GLAD YOU FOUND THIS FORUM. YOU SAID YOUR SURGERY WAS IN 10 DAYS. WOULD THAT BE THE 27TH? WE NEED TO MAKE NOTE AS THE CREW HERE ON THIS SITE WILL BE WANTING TO BE SENDING POSITIVE ENERGY, PRAYERS, GOOD THOUGHTS AND LOTS OF HIUGGIES YOUR WAY. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PRAYER, ESPECIALLY IN NUMBERS.
 BEST WISHES

PATTI UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Dzimy

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 08:37:18 pm »
Yes the big day in Wednesday  the 27th.  I am checking in at House at 5am.  The last days are just flying by so quickly.  I have a very positive attitude.  Thanks for all your good wishes.    Donna
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)