Author Topic: Procedure Has Been Selected  (Read 2868 times)

Pattib

Procedure Has Been Selected
« on: October 22, 2015, 08:32:32 am »
It has only been 4 months since I was diagnosed with a left sided AN measuring 1.45 x .45 located within the IAC.  The symtoms that I had at that time were occasional dizziness, tinnitus 24/7 and some loss of hearing.  Out of nowhere, I had an experience with some muscle spasms in my left cheek and the left eyelid actually felt stuck for a moment.  Those systems prompted another MRI.  The results of that MRI read 1.6 x .5.  My local Dr. told me that he didn't really see any change and that I could remain waiting and watching, however I have decided the option for the wait & watch is not a good one for me.  Although I realize that the size of the AN doesn't necessary indicate any growth because the MRI's were done by different machines, I do feel that there has been some change just due to the other symtoms I experienced.  When I was first diagnosed with the AN and was advised to wait and watch since sometimes the AN's do not grow, I had told myself that I wanted to learn all that I could about this problem and all that I could about the various treatment options so that should there be any change at all, no matter how slight, I would be ready to make a decision on how I would want to proceed for treatment.  For me that decision time has come and I have selected to go with GK in November with Dr. Lunsford at UPMC.  My local Dr agrees that UPMC is one of the best for GK.

I am 64 and the wait and watch has been very difficult for me.   I have not dealt well with the stress and anxiety caused from the AN issues and has lead me to have much higher blood pressure accompanied with migranes.  I have sent my MRI out to the House, USC, Standford and UPMC.   I have found that at times I would choose a procedure, then find out more information that would muddy the waters which would make me second guess my thinking.  I have gone back and forth so many times with the option of microsurgery vs radiosurgery and all in all both options of course have their own set of risks.  I personally feel that the microsurgery holds more risks, at least for my age, hence the decision for GK. 

To those of you that I personally reached out to with my questions and concerns, I really can't thank you all enough for your responses and support.  This forum has offered such a wealth of information and comfort during a stressful time.  I couldn't be more greatful for finding this site.  This group is just awesome!

pattib

MG

Re: Procedure Has Been Selected
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Hi pattib,

I just want to say that I am happy that you made your decision. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Sending positives thoughts and prayers !

Best of luck,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Pattib

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »
Thank you MG.  I hope of course that I have made a good decision for myself on precedure and a good selection with Dr Lunsford.

Pattib

Janey

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:00:45 pm »
Best of luck to you.  I am 60 and am leaning in the same direction if treatment becomes necessary.
I agree with you that this forum has been wonderful.  God Bless!

Pattib

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:57:47 am »
Thank you Janey for the well wishes.  I appreciate it very much!!

Pattib