Author Topic: 6th month post op update  (Read 5948 times)

opp2

6th month post op update
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:35:07 pm »
Hi Everyone,

January 6th will mark my 6 month anniversary. I will be working that day and won't have time to update, and I figure a few days won't change my report.

I have returned to work full time after a gradual re-entry. I am back on platoon which, for the civilians in the crowd, means that I am back out on the road leading a team of 13 police officers 4 days on, 4 days off. I'm loving it.

I have really no residual effects that are worth complaining about. The loss of hearing doesn't seem to affect my ability to perform as a police officer, just the number of times I have to ask people to repeat themselves. I have started training my dispatchers to make sure if there is a call the think I should have responded that I was monitoring, to ask me if I heard it.

Night shifts are tiring, but I haven't worked a full night shift yet. I have left at 3-4 am. We shall see but I doubt it will be any different than the last time I worked a full night shift 5 years ago. :-)))

Driving at night is a bit of a challenge. The left eye is dry so there appears to be a film over it at night. I have a follow up with my eye surgeon to check the amount of moisture my eye is getting. I might just need old girl glasses ;-)

Balance issues...non existent, however a funny story for y'all. Last night I went to a call for suspicious activity at an abandoned house. On New Year's day we had record warm temps of +10C. Then overnight the temps dropped and there was a flash freeze. Last night we had beautiful light flurries. So pretty. I was walking along talking to the dispatcher on the radio when bam...down I went. Apparently I was in the middle for a wet lawn that had frozen over with big patches of ice covered in snow. It appears I was actually still keying my microphone because after I got up I got this cute message on the radio.. apparently they recorded whatever I said as I was on my way down and were all having a chuckle over it.

Headaches; none.

Physical fitness: I really have slacked off the past two months. The last work out I did was Nov 26th, but even that was a spontaneous work out that was one of maybe 5 in November. I have a plan to get back at it, and I've implemented that today.

So how to I feel 6 months later. Grateful, happy, content, sometimes I forget I even had this blasted tumour. I have changed my outlook on life. I used to think I wanted to be a police officer forever...sometimes now I wonder. I feel like I dodged a bullet and maybe I should be looking for change. And then I say perhaps I should continue to be the best cop I can just because I did get a second chance..who knows what the future holds. I am so pleased to have the opportunity to be able to think of such things. 

I would do it all over again if I had to, but I don't wish it on anyone. For those still facing surgery or watch and wait, fear not. You can and will make it.

I still drop by almost every day, but that will likely slow down simply because 4 12 hour days in a row leave little time for surfing...but I'm still here to help if anyone needs it.

all the best kids!

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

moe

Re: 6th month post op update
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »
Nikki,
Thanks for the great 6 month update! :) Can't remember did you have CK, GK or surgery?
MOE
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

opp2

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:19 pm »
Hi Maureen, I had retrosigmoid in BC with Dr Akagami after a year of consults and craziness here in southern Ontario, Canada.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:07:46 am »
great to hear Nikki..Time does fly...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:55:02 pm »
Nikki ~

Thanks for that comprehensive and very encouraging six-month post-op update.  Kudos to you, too, on resuming your honorable and demanding work as a police officer.  Your words of support for other AN patients just facing surgery are well said and highly valued, as they come from experience.  May your recovery continue apace and please, keep safe.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:36:55 pm »
Keep it up Nikki, your recovery has been amazing.  Maybe your Doctor out in BC is the Magic Wizard all as Canadians should be seeing.  Keep it up and keep the bad guys locked up!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mk

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:51:52 pm »
Hey Nikki,

great update and great hope for everyone. Try to take it easy now that you are back to work full time.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »
Nikki .....

Thanks for the encouraging update ..... the kind we like to hear!  I really had to chuckle over your microphone still recording as you went down.   :D  Just be very careful on those snowy covered spots ..... but that is true for anyone.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keeping Up

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:40:49 pm »
Nikki

Again really late to the post ... congratulations.  It is so wonderful to hear such a wonderful outcome, especially after all the effort you put into your decision process.

Well done, and yes, stop slipping on the ice.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

opp2

Re: 6th month post op update** make that 12
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:00 am »
I thought I'd post here rather than start a new topic. This time last year I was just getting ready to head out from the hotel to the hospital for surgery that started at 11:00 PMT.

Today I am in Blue Mountain, finishing up some renos on my newest project. I feel pretty darn good. The only residual item that I have from the tumour or the surgery is a dry eye. Any head aches I have are probably normal stress related. I have no numbness, no dizziness. I do have a wicked scar, but hey...what can you do.

I hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to sand drywall.

Nikki

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:53:19 am »
Great report, Nikki .....

Happy drywall sanding!  Far better than happy surgery from a year ago!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:47:30 am »
Nikki,

I am glad to read your updates.  I know I wasn't on the site much when you had your surgery, but SOOO GLAD that at the post op marks you are doing well!   

Take care & keep checking in  ;)

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

tenai98

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 05:33:54 pm »
Time sure does fly!! Congrats and happy sanding
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

mk

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
Hi Nikki,

thanks for the cheerful update. I am glad to see that surgery is starting to be a distant memory. I hope that I will be following your recovery path.

By the way, have you seen any improvements in your dry eye? I suppose it is a residual from the facial nerve weakness. Did you every follow this up with an ophthalmologist? I also have dry eye and I find it very annoying. I am trying to figure out a way to deal with it more effectively.

Try to find some time to enjoy yourself in Blue Mountain, it must be lovely there this time of the year.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

opp2

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 07:00:05 pm »
hi Marianne, believe me it does get better. Every day. Hang in there. You are still very early in your recovery, and I know you have some pain that just won't stop. I think about you all the time.

I did see my eye surgeon (don't know the proper term) who did my laser surgery in 1994 and follows my progress with annual or there abouts visits. He was totally impressed with my face when he found out what surgery I had, and he also examined the eye very closely. He said it has not suffered any damage, and it does tear, just not as much as normal. When I work out it tears like mad, like I'm crying (maybe working out too hard :-)) and sometimes when I eat. Otherwise I've noticed that my vision is failing on schedule (he told me in the next year or two that I'd suffer the consequences of my age).

I did have fun at Blue..went to the Beach and to the Village. Hit the paddle boats, and the new Ridge Runner ( a roller coaster where you control the speed!). Almost went on a carriage ride but it was too hot.

I'm back home for work for 2 shifts, then family picnic that we missed last year because we were in BC. Then back to Blue for more renos...

I'm so pleased with everything. I'm so fortunate. Fortunate to have received the care I did and the total support of all of you on this board. I never could have made it this far with out all of you!