Author Topic: on the road to recovery  (Read 23364 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: on the road to recovery
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:34 pm »

I am sure there has to be the perfect climate on Earth.  I'm also sure that none of us could afford to live there.

Well, when Lori and I make those millions on all our AN ideas - and the ideas we've stolen (er, I mean, borrowed) from our fellow forumites - we're going to find such a place.

Don't worry, David, we'll invite you - and many, many others  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 12:35:14 am »
Hey Marci
Come to think of it. I haven't tried singing since surgery.  Think I'll concentrate on the running for the time being.  Meanwhile, don't know if I mentioned this, some of the best memories of my kidhood were soft-ice cream cones in Chagrin Falls with my grandfather, the Terminal Tower (circa the 50's), and Cedar Point in the 50s and 60s.  Magic memories.

And Jan, thanks for the invite.  Right now, anywhere out of California would be wonderful.  Sometimes ya just don't appreciate the good things until ya had the chance to experience the bad things.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2008, 08:09:17 am »
David~
Come to Texas and the 100+ heat...LOVE to have you!  Actually, where I live, it cools off VERY nicely in the evenings...

K  *waiting for SOMEONE to take me up on a visit!*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 01:54:05 pm »
All,
Followed up with my doctor today and all is well. He won't check my hearing for three months but otherwise is hopeful that some if not most of things I'm experiencing with the right ear and facial numbness will resolve. They are very pleased with my recovery (reminded me that the tumor was huge and that had it grown it would have caused serious problems) and encouraged me to be patient.  I have to give it up to a year to see what is permanent but I can start running again in another week.  That made me extremely happy.

Wendy-I went out to lunch with my husband and kept most of the food in my mouth so I was pleased with that.  What's that about small victories? 

And for those of you who live in Northeast Ohio I will be attempting to start a support group as soon as I can.  They are sending me a packet of information then we'll be on our way.  The ANA said that there were over 50 folks in the area but at the rate the newbies are joining I'm betting the number is even higher.  I'm sorry the number isn't smaller.

Big day, must nap. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008, 02:08:11 pm »
Hi, Marci:

Thanks for sharing the good news from your doctor regarding the eventual resolution of your current facial nerve issues. 

Your doctor's permission for you to resume running is certainly a very good indication that, even if everything isn't 'perfect',  you're getting back to normal. 

Kudos for your interest in starting a local AN support group in your area.  Dedication to helping other AN patients and the willingness to put in the work and time needed to organize a support group is commendable.  I admire your enthusiasm and positive attitude.

Just remember not to try to be 'SuperWoman' and do too much.  Your recovery is advancing nicely and I wouldn't want to see any setbacks occur due to overexertion.  I salute you for your commitment and upbeat nature, Marci. 

Jim

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:54:15 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
Woo woo!  You are moving right along good!  Keep it up and you will be "back" before you know it! I realize you have a few issues that may take longer than others, as do I, but for being so soon after surgery and doing so well, you are doing great!  Here's to small victories (I've had a few recently too!)..  :)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2008, 05:24:15 pm »
Yes, I shall try to keep it at a reasonable pace.  The one concession I've made is not to go back to work too soon (I have a great job, but it's totally insane, very busy, stressful, etc.,.)  I will not go back full-time until September 15 and will go back only for a couple of hours a day starting Sept. 4.  I am very fortunate that I can be flexible with it and have great colleagues who are covering for me, like Andrea.  Of the many lessons I've learned lately, one is "it's just a job" and though I love it, my health and my family need to come first. Too bad it took a tumor for me to figure that out but better late than never, right?

Starting a support group will be a joy for me.  If I can help even one person on this journey it will mean a lot to me.  Having all of you helped me to be centered, calm and rational at a time in my life that I needed it most.  And allows me a place to be zany, whiny and accepted.  It's like family, only better, much better.

I haven't heard an update from rsteph (surgery today) but as soon as I do, I will post something.  Also, David, anytime you want to visit Chagrin Falls or any of your Cleveland haunts, let me know.  The guest room awaits...

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:11 pm »
Marci -

glad to hear your doctor visit went well.  Also glad to hear that you are going ahead with the Ohio support group.  The ANA is lucky to have you  :)

K -

I've been dying to visit Texas - but I think I'll wait until it cools off - a lot!  My brother used to live in Dallas and although I kept saying I'd visit, I never got around to it.  He also lived in North Carolina and I never got there either.  But, as you can see, I have a lot of good intentions  ::)

David -

you're welcome in Illinois anytime!  The kids and I are still living in the "box" - it isn't sold yet and I don't think it will sell in the short term.  The realtor tells me there are 74 foreclosures in my town  :o  and since I am not one of them, I don't think there will be much interest in my house for awhile.  The foreclosed properties are all going real cheap - just have to pay off the bank! 

Interesting you should mention Chagrin Falls.  My best friend from college, who now lives outside of Boston, grew up in Chagrin Falls!  Did you live there? or did your grandfather?

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

Re: on the road to recovery--fatigue has set in
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:52 am »
Wednesday, I went out again for more errands (also walked 2 miles) and think I have found my current limit.  Extreme fatigue has set in so my husband tells me I'm grounded today--no running errands, no visitors, a day of rest and reading.  Yes, Jim, you were right, I was pushing too hard. I will take it easy and then try to be more attuned to what I can and can't do yet.  I blame this all on being a "baby boomer".  It's not my fault, it's generational.

(Writing 100 times, I will be patient, I will, I really will.)
Marci

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32:05 am »
Marci:

Sorry to learn you're feeling fatigued but I feel better knowing you have a caring, involved husband who will 'ground' you, if necessary. 

I just miss the baby boomer birth year time-frame the demographers and sociologists use (1946 -1964) but I share the impatience and I can empathize with yours.  However, a day of rest and more responsiveness to your body's signals regarding rest and energy in the future will likely offer you the reward of a more rapid recuperation, which is always the ultimate goal.  Basically, you're doing fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2008, 03:20:13 pm »
Marci -
You sound so wonderful and seem to be having a remarkable recovery.  It's good to hear you sound so upbeat and positive, especially when you sounded so frightened when you first joined our forum.  It's amazing how much you life can change for the better in such a short time.  I tried singing fir the first time on Sunday, August 3 since it was my daughter's birthday.  The doctor told me he thought I would be able to carry a tune even though I'm SSD  but he was wrong -- I'm still tone-deaf, ha ha!  I'm just being silly of course -- sometimes I just cant' help myself.  I hope you continue to have a great recovery and congrats on being able to run again soon.  I'm not a runner myself, but I was walking between 7 and 8 miles a day for a month before surgery.  I'm hoping my physical therapy will allow me to get back to that soon too.

Best wishes,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »
Thanks Jim and Wendy,
Your words really help.  And Wendy, I thought you were winning the prize (whatever that is) for stunning recovery? ;D
Marci

wendysig

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2008, 06:44:16 am »
Hi Marci -
There's a prize involved?  Whatever could it be???  I've never won anything before!!  I'm so excited!!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2008, 05:22:32 pm »
A lifetime supply of MRI's?? :D

MAlegant

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2008, 08:38:47 am »
Forumites,
I started a new thread on depression, because on my road to recovery, this seems to be the latest bump.  I'm hanging in there and seeing a therapist on Tuesday.  I figure it can't hurt.  I just returned from a beautiful walk with husband and dogs, my usual three mile running loop, but only walked.  I think it will be a couple of weeks before I run. Even though the doctors gave me the green light I can't get over the feeling that I will shake something loose up there so am still a little nervous.  I piled pillows on my AN side so I wouldn't roll onto it last night and it worked.  I still woke up with that "what is wrong with my head" feeling.  Will I always have that?  Is it just a by-product of brain surgery?  Also facial weakness is back, but very minor. I had some immediately after surgery but it went away.  Everything is working but my eyebrow won't quite raise as much as the other and comes down before I want it to.  Also can't whistle.  My smile is still symmetrical so it must be a very slight weakness.  I also realized that for some bizarre reason I thought I was 3 weeks post-op but my husband pointed out that it won't be 3 weeks until Tuesday.  Am I losing my mind?  Or is the calendar just losing its meaning?
Happy Saturday to you,
Marci