Author Topic: Cyberknife 3 Year AN tumor measurement comparison  (Read 8630 times)

Palace

• Palace
Cyberknife 3 Year AN tumor measurement comparison
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »
I was told at the time of treatment that it takes two years before, much shrinkage would happen from Cyberknife.  (being so happy that I'm a "success patient")  The target area was handled well by my team at Stanford.

Please feel free to post your measurement study and state if it was GK or CK.  I asked that my data be sent via FAX to my home office.  I took the dates and measurements off the report sheets for your interest.

Sept. 13, 06’ (diagnosis)                      2.4  X  2.1    CM

Dec. 1, 06’ (date of TX)                       2.8  X   2.0  X  1.9  CM

May         07’                                      2.4  X  2.1  X  1.9  CM

Nov.        07’                                      2.2  X  1.8  X  1.5  CM

May         08’                                      2.2  X  1.8

Nov.         08’                                     2.2  X  1.8  X  1.5  MM

Oct.         09’                                     1.9  X  1.8  X  1.3    MM  (present time)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:37:46 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
Re: Cyberknife 3 Year AN tumor measurement comparison
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:35:35 pm »
  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

It's really "cool" about my CK working so well thus far.  Sadly, I must report that I did lose my hearing completely as of this last audiologist testing a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:02:52 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:01:06 pm »
For the visually inclined, here is what Palace's data looks like as a Bar Graph:

I like where that is headed. 8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:04:05 pm »
Thanks, Steve.

I wish all AN radiation patients could see their progress in the form of a bar graph but I'm delighted to see Palace's tumor shrinkage in such an accessible structure.   Nice job.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:51:22 pm »
Steve,

Thank-you so much for the plot on a bar graph showing quantitative relationships for all to appreciate.

Regards and appreciation,

Palace
single sided deafness

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:18 am »
That is fantastic.  Congratulations on such good news Palace.

Does anyone know how long CK/GK patients can expect shrinkage to continue?  Is there a point after which no more size reduction is expected?
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »
 8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

It's really "cool" about my CK working so well thus far.  Sadly, I must report that I did lose my hearing completely as of this last audiologist testing a few weeks ago.

Great results.

Your hearing loss after a couple of years of treatment does happen.

Steve: great visual!!!
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Shekhar

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:18:36 am »
Great results Palace!! Heartiest Congrats....

I had GK in Aug 2005 and my hearing in the right ear is almost NIL... but the Tinnitus has taken over and its makes great music all the while.

My size to begin with was 2.8 x 2.2 x 2.2 cm and in Nov this year it was 2.2 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm, I now have to see my doctor after 2 years.

Best wishes
Shekhar
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:24:03 am by Shekhar »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:28 am »
Congratulations, Palace.  Great news!  ;D

Very impressive graph, Steve  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 10:36:59 am »
Palace!  What wonderful news!  Congratulations!!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 12:17:19 pm »
Thats what ya like to hear! Great news, Mickey

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »
DK,

CK/GK patients aren't expected to see any significant shrinkage until after two years treatment.  Since it is the precise target point from the work of your "team" (and hopefully it's a skilled group of doctors as, this is the critical important issue for all the better results) and I had really experienced and quality doctors so, I was considered a high success patient.  I was told that I could expect shrinkage up to about ten years, if I remember correctly.

I too DK wonder what other people were told, about a long duration of shrinkage.

Thank-you for the nice congratulations about my good news on the latest MRI.

Palace
single sided deafness

Mark

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:53:46 am »

Does anyone know how long CK/GK patients can expect shrinkage to continue?  Is there a point after which no more size reduction is expected?

Having just met with Dr. Chang at Stanford a few weeks back for my 8 year MRI, this topic came up in our discussion

The vast majority of CK / GK patients, if they have any shrinkage, will have it occur within the first three years. After that point, the tumor carcass tends to remain stable and the same size. In my case, I started around 2.1 X 1.9 X 1.8 and was somewhere around 25% less by volume by year 4. It has remained essentially unchanged since then. Everyone will be different to some degree, but if any shrinkage will occur, it happens in the first few years.

mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 06:55:43 am »

Having just met with Dr. Chang at Stanford a few weeks back for my 8 year MRI, this topic came up in our discussion

The vast majority of CK / GK patients, if they have any shrinkage, will have it occur within the first three years. After that point, the tumor carcass tends to remain stable and the same size. In my case, I started around 2.1 X 1.9 X 1.8 and was somewhere around 25% less by volume by year 4. It has remained essentially unchanged since then. Everyone will be different to some degree, but if any shrinkage will occur, it happens in the first few years.

mark

Mark, may I walk in your shoes with results! :)

Palace, congrats on the news. At my 3 yr mark this past summer, there was visible shrinkage (noted by the NS without her having to physical measure it at that point... measurement came later) and as Mark notes, I do not believe that there will be much more. For me, the key is that the brain booger is dead as a doornail, the shrinkage is an added-bonus (IMO)

Continued wellness wishes to you! Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:22:44 pm »
Phyl,

Slap me a "fiver!"  I'm really happy for your results.  Actually, we are close in treatment time.  It will be interesting to compare size and results with fractionized steriotactic radiosurgery, among those treated who belong to this forum.  If we keep a tight reign on the nerves which were being affected, size comparison change over time and current symptoms to date, we can monitor treatment results per team.

Yes, the Acoustic Neuroma tumor can just as easily "take-off/grow," as well as, shrink!  Sadly, we have heard of failure cases for whatever the reason.  All of us are subject to AN tumor change in size at any point of time and that is the reason for the MRI monitoring.  (and of course, the medical study for doctors)

Keep in mind that medicine is a "business" more than ever these days and always get more than one opinion before, taking any drastic measures.

I thank all people taking part in this discussion to help others and to see a visual study via reading and the bar graph.  Please do keep posting any personal data you have and share your story.  We all benefit from your information.

True, if my shrinkage continues over time it will most likely be significantly less.  I will be happy with that.

At my current size and might I mention shape of the tumor, I experience occasional vertigo, tennitis, short-term memory loss, exacerbated patience under stress, (which facinates me enough to open a discussion here on this thread regarding, observing the size of people's tumor who noticably experience loss of "mental control" under duress) and sometimes swallow issues related to the problem of the remaining tumor.

Palace
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:28:12 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness