Author Topic: gamma knife after AN surgery  (Read 3550 times)

suz

gamma knife after AN surgery
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:23 pm »
I had a partial removal of my AN in 2010 via retrosigmoid approach. Unfortunately about one third of the tumor remained after surgery which was a surprise to the surgeon and me.  The reassurance I was given by several docs and folks on this forum was that the residual tumor rarely grows so it would not likely need treatment. Now the AN has grown slightly and my doc is suggesting gamma knife at some point. I return for an MRI in the summer, so I have some time to consider options. I had never considered gamma knife seriously before - surgery always felt like the right choice. But to go back in my head to remove the rest of it does NOT feel like a great idea now!

My big question is this: I have a teeny bit of hearing left in the AN side which is enhanced by a hearing aid. My "good ear" has some issues, so I am sensitive to protecting any hearing that I have on either side for as long as possible. If I opt for gamma knife sooner than later is that likely to protect the little bit of hearing I have remaining in the AN ear? Or will gamma knife destroy the hearing on the AN side? I know that eventually if the AN keeps growing I will ultimately lose the hearing on that side, but like I said I am trying to strategize what will keep me fully functioning for as long as possible. My doc said that I could wait for awhile to treat, but since I left his office last time when we talked briefly about gamma knife, I have started to consider the ups and downs of waiting more or acting.

In terms of hearing preservation, what effects have y'all in the post treatment group noticed?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

ANGuy

Re: gamma knife after AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
I would want to be sure it was actually growing before I took action.  If you haven't already, have your Drs. explain how they know it is actual growth and not just some variation in an MRI or interpretation of and MRI.  Sometimes members on here see a slight increase in size on an MRI and don't take into account that actual size measurements attributed to MRI's are not always as precise as we try to make them. 

I'm sorry I don't have any info on the likelihood of hearing preservation for someone in your circumstances.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

suz

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:04:51 pm »
Thanks ANGuy. Good point about confirming the growth. I am not in a hurry to do anything - patience is definitely a virtue with AN's. The next MRI is in July, so that will be telling.
Good luck with your next MRI!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 06:17:20 pm »
Thanks.  We are both in the same boat in terms of MRI's.  We keep getting them and crossing our fingers and saying a prayer as they slide us into the machine.  Actually, everyone on this board is probably in that same boat regardless of treatment or lack there of.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:08 am »
Suz,
I am also in the same boat as you. Like you,  1/3rd of tumor is left in my head but with > 50% hearing intact. Dimensions after retrosigmoid surgery approach were 1.3 X 1.5 cm X 1.9cm. My surgeon (Dr. Sisti) said that if there is any growth in AN, he would recommend GK. It can happen in next year or 10 years or I may not need it.
I will also wait till absolutely necessary..........
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

Meleka

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 12:08:48 pm »
Remember with GK there is a 75% chance of preservation of useful hearing.