Author Topic: Deviated septums and AN  (Read 11018 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Re: Deviated septums and AN
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 09:57:28 am »
Yep, I have a Deviated Septum too.   I don't have any more problems with colds and stuffed up nose than the average person, and ony used nasal sprays once or twice.  I didn't know I had a DS until I saw it on a chart in one doctor's office.    At the time I thought maybe I could have plastic surgery due to the deviated septum and insurance would pay! (I have a bump in my nose).  Never got around to checking, and as I grow older my little vanities shrink and shrink. 

Also, I have no idea when my tumor started growing (it was diagnosed in 2004) but as of about 1994 I started to have trouble getting my ears to pop back when I flew.  I had to fly pretty often when I was working, and someone said if I took Sudafed it would help.  It did, but I still have the problem, mostly with my AN ear.  Cause, effect, effects of the same cause?? 

tmackean

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:10 pm »
I was reading your post about the deviated septum.  I too have a deviated septum, but my smaller septum is on the AN side.  I've had surgery on my septum twice but I don't think it's done any good.    :'(

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 11:08:36 am »
No deviated septum.  One of the lucky ones I guess.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wcrimi

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »
I also have a deviated septum.  hmmmn ???
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

mjminer

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 07:43:54 pm »
I had deviated septum and turbinate reduction last year due to experience head pressure.  Turns out the head pressure never completely went away and now I found out I have a 3-4mm AN.  Kindof interesting my AN is on the Right side of my head and my nostril that is generally harder to breath out of is on the right.  Interested if you find a connection, but more apt to think its coincidence.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 04:51:31 pm »
Major deviated septum... but it is on the left side.  Bad enough that the ENT asked if I stilled played hockey!  AN is on the right.

For the record, I never played hockey.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Keeping Up

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »
Me too - the ENT mentioned it when I went for my first appointment.  I have no history of a broken nose and would have never known.

How do you know which side is deviated?  Might have to check it out tonight.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 12:45:53 pm »
FWIW ~

No deviated septum.  I guess that's a good thing although it may skew the concept of a deviated septum having a correlation with having an acoustic neuroma, but I thought it worth mentioning, if only as a counterweight.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
I do!  Strange...
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 01:28:50 pm »
Funny enough, during examinations because of being diagnosed for the AN-they told me I have a deviated septum.  Never knew that before.
Not sure which side it deviates to, is there an easy way to check?

I figured I got hit in the face with a soccer ball or something.....
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

MamaGina

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:34 am »
YES! I have a deviated septum also.  I'm not sure which side is more open.  My AN is on left, and I don't have any drainage from my left nare, but I can breathe from it. My right is the one which gets congested.  I have chronic sinus infections with severe pain.  I have been told I have "mastoid sinus disease", which is visible on my mri's.  I think the surgery itself messed up my sinus plumbing.  Or maybe the pressure from the large tumor also contributed. 

Kim, you have a beautiful smile!   :) I miss my smile...
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »
Yes, I do.  I had a severe deviated septum awhen I was young, have had 3 surgeries, actually was photographed for a boook at Mass Eye and Ear when I was 14 (in my fifties) my nose actually stopped growing and thus I have a pug nose. My clearest nostril was my right and that is my ANA side... this is very interesting! more so than the scottish link we discussed last year.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

epodjn

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 09:53:12 pm »
Boy you've got me wondering now. I have no idea if I have a deviated septum or not but the ENT has already repaired two of my kids and my mom and says  he thinks in our family it's inherited. My guess is I do and I just don't know it. I am also a former nasal spray user and current breath right user. What a good subject to be reserch!
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »
What a good subject to be reserch!

Hint HINT hint... I hope this is being share with the ANA medical board!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 06:44:48 pm »
I am surprised LA David hasn't seen this thread he was quite interested in heritage as a factor, this deviated septum thing is really weird, the experts must have looked at this before, ya think?
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!