Author Topic: Deviated septums and AN  (Read 11019 times)

Mickey

Deviated septums and AN
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:39:25 pm »
How many have a deviated septum? With the more open nostril on the AN side? Just wondering if there`s a link. Mickey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Deviated septums and AN
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 03:18:26 pm »
Nope, I don't.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »
i do
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Darlene

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:31:10 pm »
I do also!
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »
dang, you made me check.

well, as you can see in my Avitar pic, I have quite the deviated septum BUT... my AN side has the smaller nostril.

I can't believe I actually checked!  :o  ::)

Phyl :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:22:59 pm »
I used to have a deviated septum, but had it corrected about 30 years ago.

My AN was on my left side, but I have no idea what side my "more open nostril" was on.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JudyT

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 04:32:19 pm »
I started having the feeling my left nostril was closing before treatment. Now if I pull it down and out I breath better. I have never mentioned it to ENT....therefore I really don't know. It is the AN side.
Judy

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 05:14:42 pm »
I have a slightly deviated septum on my right side, meaning that the more open side would indeed be my AN side.

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Mickey

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:50:05 am »
Very interesting! Its probably nothing but there are a few similarities. I was wondering because my AN is on the side which takes in the most air therefore maybe creating the most irritation, especially with allergies and pollution. Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:56:51 pm »

I have a deviated septum on the left side. I have had it since childhood.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:10:22 pm »
DITTO

"I have a deviated septum"

DHM

PS. HMMM I wonder if there is a connection???? I am curious to see how many AN'ers reply with a "yes". Good question you ask here.
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:01:56 am »
I have spoken too a few folk in the uk , they also have this, has anyone asked their consultant about it??????? i will when i see mine next

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:46 am »
You know I think a month does not go by when I ask,

“What is the cause of these acoustic neuroma tumors? What the heck caused mine? Could these be possibly prevented?�

I have many theories- to which none I can yet prove- of course.

I have had a lifetime of dealing with a stuffed up nose that was often unbearable during colds etc. I was a nasal spray user from an early age (Dristan Mist, Afrin, etc) … and I swear there was a time when I was habitually using this spray stuff, as I was addicted to it. (We did not have “breath right nasal stripsâ€? in those days. I have my kids wear these now, when they are home with cold, as an alternative to decongestant and nasal spray use). I can proudly say that I am a graduate of AA (Afrin Anonymous  ;)  :D ) now.

It was not until I had the MRI (looking for the 1 in 100,000 chance acoustic neuroma brain booger) did we realized how deviated my septum actually was. Was the constant irritation to my inner ear from either the bad nasal breathing structure I have …or the constant nasal spray use… a possible cause of a tumor?

I am thinking that the “deviated septum� question should be posed on the next ANA survey of patients. There really needs to be a clear study on the relationship and commonality of this among acoustic neuroma patients.

I have one child whose nose is growing with more and more asymmetry- and this has me concerned. She has to wear nasal strips at night and is currently miserable with allergy season at its peak. 3 of the 6 children in my paternal grandmothers family went deaf in one ear. (No MRI’s to answer questions in their day  :-\) I look at old photos- and these women had asymmetrical noses- big time. It concerns me when I look at one of my children whose nose is growing this way now. I know that my tumor pathology was not NF2- nevertheless it still has me wonder and be concerned for my offspring.

Thus this deviated septum thread has me keenly interested to find out how many other acoustic neuroma patients have this- also.

IS there a possible link?

For all those medical students that are lurking our forum here- I see a potential research project here…

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:29:10 am »
I have had a lifetime of dealing with a stuffed up nose that was often unbearable during colds etc. I was a nasal spray user from an early age (Dristan Mist, Afrin, etc) … and I swear there was a time when I was habitually using this spray stuff, as I was addicted to it.

I am thinking that the “deviated septum� question should be posed on the next ANA survey of patients. There really needs to be a clear study on the relationship and commonality of this among acoustic neuroma patients.
I also have a deviated septum and used to use the nasal sprays on a regular basis. Sounds like a good question for the survey!

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 02:48:26 pm »
How can we get more people to look at this thread or do a survey, i used the nose spray for years as well, and guess what my ent says i have too start using it again for polys.