Author Topic: Is tooth pain common?  (Read 7962 times)

Melissa778

Is tooth pain common?
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:26:54 pm »
I had my (almost) 2cm AN removed via translab in May, with a follow up GK a month ago to zap the reaminder from my facial nerve area.  I have since had horrible dry eye, which is slowly gettign better.  BUt I have developed a new issue.....HORRIBLE, EXCRUCIATING tooth pain on my AN side.  I thought for sure thsi was a dental issue.  I went to the dentist this morning and my teeth are 100% OK......What's the deal?  Is this all nerve pain?  I have also been getting pain in the middle of my cheek on my AN side.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

mk

Re: Is tooth pain common?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
Melissa,

these sound like trigeminal nerve symptoms. Dry eye is due to reduced sensation of the cornea. The trigeminal nerve can be also responsible for pain and/or numbness in the face and scalp. The nerve may have taken a hit from the radiation. If ibuprophen cannot relieve the pain, may be you should ask your doctor to prescribe medication for this.

I hope you feel better soon.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:49:56 am »
Hi there,
I can tell you first-hand that it's probably trigeminal issues--I have this all of the time to varying degrees.  It definitely sucks but I am in search of a new doctor with expertise in nerve pain.  I've tried a couple of drugs with no relief yet.  But, I am determined to find a solution.  Hopefully this will pass for both of us!
Be well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Melissa778

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:04:22 am »
WOW, my pain got to be excruciating Friday.  I ended up in the ER as my AN doc is an hour and a half away from me.  They gave me a quick shot of morphine and sent me on my merry way with a script for darvocet.  My AN doc, bless his heart, called me at home all weekend to check up on me and called in a script for Tegretol.  SO far the Tegretol seems to be helping and I've scaled back on the darvocet and ibuprofen.  But, WOW...that pain was intense and horrible!!!!  I have a follow up MRI today to be sure there isn't some swelling going on.  Thanks for the input.

Melissa
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
2011 Holding steady

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 09:58:57 am »
Melissa!
I have NO feeling on my AN side but for a good while, I would have pain in my teeth on that side...I thought it very strange.  Nothing as bad as what you are describing though.  Don't have it anymore...sorry you are having to deal eith this!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sher

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:45 pm »
I too have had teeth pain. I have a CK doc that says there is no way this could be related to the AN. Nothing is when is comes to him. Can you tell why I am a confused mess right now?  I hope that you can get some relief somehow, Melissa. Hang in
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 06:50:57 pm »
I too have the tooth pain and been to the dentist X3 and there is nothing wrong with my teeth, sometimes I just want to have the back ones pulled.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 03:47:29 pm »
Hi Mellisa!

I have had this pain too and I think it is because of the trigeminal nerve.  I don;t feel anything around my mouth, cheek and forehead in my AN side but the strangest to my dentist and me is that I feel a dull constant pain in the front teeth! Probably my pain is not as hard as yours but I have taken this state for normal.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Did doctors say would it disappear?

Best and hope the pain is fading away!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:58:58 pm »
I've heard that trigeminal neuralgia can bring people to their knees with the pain that can be sudden and shooting.  I hope that the meds work okay for you and that this is a problem of the past.  Nobody wants this one! 

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/trigeminal_neuralgia_facial_nerve_pain/article_em.htm

Take care,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MAlegant

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:19:29 pm »
It's no fun.  It was the one and only symptom that lead to my diagnosis.  The pain and discomfort that I'm dealing with now is nothing compared with TN. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Melissa778

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:18 am »
Was unable to get in to see the doc, he's now off for the next month.  I did speak to him via phone and email and he has for the time beign prescribed Tegretol for the nerve pain and it is workign WONDERS.  THe paid is gone, what little paid I do have occasionally I am able to subdue with Advil.  WHEW!  That was soem intense, horrible pain.  I hope to never experience again!!

Melissa
2011 Holding steady

MAlegant

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:14 am »
SO glad to hear it's better.  Mine was awful all weekend but is better today. Any side effects with Tegretol??
Thanks,
M

Jackie

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »
Hello all,

I am curious as to what this "tooth pain" feels like to all of you. My back tooth on the AN side feels like the nerve is exposed only at certain times. It is NOT constant but when I chew on that side it lets me know its there. If I steer clear of chewing, then there is no pain. My dentist said it could be a cracked tooth but cracks don't always show up on x-rays. Not sure if it is AN related though it is on the AN side and I have had no treatment, still watching and waiting. When I do get the pain, I see stars!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Melissa778

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:06:22 pm »
My side effects with the Tegretol are some mild drowsiness.  But I seem to be tired everyday anyway :)  It's a chewable tablet, which I dislike, but at least its working!!  It's one of those that you gradually work your way to taking a full dose over a period of days.  I am only up to taking about 1/2 a dose and I seem fine with it so doc says to stop here and jsut continue with amount that is working and not go any further.

The pain in my jaw and face has subsided, however....I do know what you are saying Jackie about the nerve feeling almost "exposed".  I was seen by a dentist to completely rule out any dental issues, but I am still avoiding chewing on that side because it is somewhat sensitive.

Question for anyone else who has had trigeminal nerve pain......Was your pain at all triggered by sinus pain, pressue, and/or infection??  I have the WORST sinus infection and I'm wondering if that didn't trigger some sort of irritation?  I am only congested on the AN side.

Melissa
2011 Holding steady

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »
Melissa-

Wow - this is weird.  I have been having intermittent jaw pain for the last few months - saw the dentist a couple of months ago and he said there was nothing wrong.  The pain escalated in the last few weeks and is so bad today that I could scream.  I made another appointment with my dentist for tomorrow, and am taking percoset (which is only helping a little).  Just read this post and now wonder if it is all nerve-related.  It feels like there is a dagger in my lower jaw right now - yeow.

I have had a lot of "random" pain all over the right side of my head for months, and my face is very tender when I press on it.  And now the "tooth" pain.  I am now wondering if this is all trigeminal related?  Is there any way to know for sure? 

Melissa, I am so sorry that you've had to deal with this - but SO glad that you posted!  I was starting to think that I was losing my mind and becoming a hypochondriac!  Now, at least if the dentist can't find anything wrong tomorrow, I'll know where to look next.  First time in my life I've ever hoped for a cavity or a root canal...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com