Author Topic: SHINGLES...help  (Read 9477 times)

linnilue

SHINGLES...help
« on: September 24, 2007, 06:54:33 pm »
Hi Everybody,  I know this isn't an AN issue, but this is the only group I trust to go to for info.  I think everybody here has a wealth of information and experience to share.  Anyway,  I was diagnosed with shingles today.  In case you hadn't noticed, I haven't been posting much lately and that's because I have been in so much pain and just feeling so sick.  I have the shingles rash down my left leg and honestly, nothing I do seems to get rid of the pain for long.  I'm on narcotics, valtrex, motrin, tylenol, hot and cold packs and nothing works...I'm in constant motion just trying to get comfortable.  Does anyone have any suggestions for m?.  I'll try just about anything.  I'll check back later.  Thanks..Holly ??? ???
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Mark

Re: SHINGLES...help
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:17:52 pm »
Hi Holly,

Very sorry to hear about the Shingles outbreak. I haven't had that experience but my father had it last year and was miserable for several months. I know you have a nursing background and probably have already checked the internet, but just in case, here are some links I found that might have some helpful ideas

Mark

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/138/main.html#TreatmentofShingles

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/shinglestreatment.html

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/Shingles/Shingles-Treatment-Overview

http://www.healthology.com/main/article_print.aspx?content_id=3744

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

linnilue

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:12:12 am »
Thank you Mark,  I will review these sites.  Yes, I have looked at a couple and I have to say, I ahd no idea just how bad this disease is.  I have an appointment this afternoon with the pain clinic to do some sort of nerve block.  I hope to God it works.  I haven't slept in days and I'm just exhausted from the pain.  Thanks for the sites.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:55 am »
Someone I work with took Lyrica for their shingles.    She was taking Vicodin along with it and said felt like a zombie but it did help her with the pain. 
   Think I have seen patients get neurontin for it also.     
                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:23:21 am »
Oh Jeez Holly, I can sympathize, I've had those buggers, TWICE! Once at 27 and again at 46. They SUCK! All I could do was take good pain meds, anti-virals and wait it out. Some believe thay are connected to ANs somehow. Hmmmm.....
Just hang in there baby and know we are here if you need to complain a little.  Out thoughts and good vibes are with you!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sheryl

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 12:23:04 pm »
YIKES - how awful they are!!  My primary care M.D. talked me into a shot called Zostavax which will help prevent shingles especially if you are elderly like me - 60!!  Had my hubby get it too. ;D
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

linnilue

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 01:32:59 pm »
Oh Jeez Holly, I can sympathize, I've had those buggers, TWICE! Once at 27 and again at 46. They SUCK! All I could do was take good pain meds, anti-virals and wait it out. Some believe thay are connected to ANs somehow. Hmmmm.....
Just hang in there baby and know we are here if you need to complain a little.  Out thoughts and good vibes are with you!

Capt Deb 8)
   Thanks Captn,  I didn't know there was a cnnection to AN's.  Do you know where you might have heard that.  What an interesting concept.  Abd you got it twice!!  That's extremely rare.  But the pain is incredible isn't it???!!!  Whoa Nelly.  I liken it to being in labor totally out of your mind in pain with no relief in site.  I did get an epidural yesterday at the pain clinic.  The shingles lay in the L4 deretome of the spine.  i am more comfortable today but I am exhausted.  Pain is brutal.  I know you suffer from migraines and i have ahd a headache everyday for a week along with this so I can't imagine what you go through.  I am on narcotics, motrin, tylenol.  I'll take anything to get relief.  Thanks for the sympathy,  Holly 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 01:56:43 pm »
Oh, man..so sorry abou your shingles. They are awful.  I had, literally, a spot of them at my waist line when I was in my early 30's.  I remember they mostly itched.  I have a scar from them because the spot is towards the back of me and I couldn't see it and I just itched the heck out of it before I went to the doctor.  I remember the doctor visit because my old doc said, " Oh, you know what this is?"  And I thought..."Well, no...duh. That's why I'm here." Recently,  I asked my doctor about that vaccine and he said they weren't recommended for anyone under 65.  I helped with care giving of a lady in her 90's who got it and she was quite miserable. They had her on a patch to wear that had some kind of narcotic in it.  She got quite dependent on the patch and  had to get off of it.

It's too bad you can't just take something and sleep through the next few weeks.  Well, as we all know, it's from the Chicken Pox virus that stays in our system only to wreak havoc on us at a later time, usually when our immune system is down.  The lady in her 90's had radiation on a cancerous lung tumor and she got shingles after that episode.  That's why I asked my doc about it, since I had GK.  Perhaps I shall ask him about this vaccine again.  I don't want shingles!!  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Except maybe Bin Ladin or somebody like that.  ;D

But not you, nikynu.....I pray you get better soon.

Sue in Vancouver
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:52:49 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

linnilue

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 03:15:47 pm »
Thanks Sue for your support.  The doctor basically told me that my immune system was quite depleted.  So, I'm going to go on Amazon and look for books on how to boost it.  I didn't know there was a vaccine, but I guess I won't need it now but I'll pass the word on to my friends that it's available.  My leg is breaking out in lesions by the hour, it's UGLY.  I did feel well enough to ride to Starbuck's with my husband to get my daily fix, so that's good.  this virus just wacks you down.  And I too would wish this on Bin Laden or Amadinijad, yeah, that's sounds good!   Have a nice day , Holly   

Mark

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 04:01:24 pm »
Holly,

I do believe Shingles is impacted by immune system related issues. I've always been a proponent that consistent exercise is probably the best method to increase white blood cell and other immune system indicators. I found some links to web sites that offer other ideas

Mark

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/10_ways_to_boost_immune_health

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/healthandwellness/2.2.25_boostyourbodysimmunesystem.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/using-your-immune-system-to-stay-well

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3647.html

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwLon16Immunity.html

Hope that saves you a trip to the library or Amazon  ;D
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

linnilue

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:59:05 am »
Thanks Mark,  You're a really nice guy to do all his legwork for me.  I greatly appreciate it.  Holly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 02:07:42 pm »
Hi, Holly:

Although I haven't experienced shingles (and hope I never do) I still wanted you to know that you have my condolences for the severe pain you're going through.  You'll definitely be in my prayers.  I hope (and will pray) that this affliction leaves you, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:23:38 pm »
Hi Holly!  My dad had a bad bout with them last year for about 3 months...he was on morphine that whole time...and to put that in perspective, by day 3 at home after a quintuple bypass he'd weaned himself off of pain meds.  He's a lot like me in that way.  But he was miserable with the shingles.  I also know that stress is a factor, which would of course lower your immune system, so feed yourself well, and try to do anything to relax yourself.  Get plenty of sleep, which I think is always the best medicine.  I hope they resolve soon!!!!  Will be crossing my fingers for you...

Take care!  Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

linnilue

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »
Thanks Everybody for all your support and kind words.  I have to say, you DO NOT want this disease.  It is brutal.  i'm only able to go online when my narcotics kick in and that doesn't last long.  The pain is difficult but there are all kinds of wierd feelings in my leg, like creepy crawlies or something and my leg makes me feel so restless with pain that I can't get comfortable.  I had a horrible night last night and I pray that I can get a few hours tonight.  This morning I has just fallen asleep (having been awake for hours) and the darn phone rang at 7:30!  I was ready to scream because I was so tired.  My husband and I decided to temporarily put an answering service on our line in the a.m. so that I can be certain to get some much needed rest.  I do know that I have no immune system and so I am working on educating myself on giving it a much needed boost.  I realize that this thread is outside the ANA scope but it has helped me to feel all your support and get all your advice, thoughts and prayers.  I'm proud to be apart of such a kind group.  Thank you all  and here's to a good night's sleep for all of us, Holly   

OTO

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 11:01:43 pm »
nikynu -

I had the shingles when i was 38 years old.   I was lucky it didn't last too long.  The only thing that help the pain was a cool towel (very light towel)...  I would soak it in ice water and wring it out and lay it on my stomach.  That was the only thing that I could tolerate.

I think having the AN surgery must stress out your body.  I remember for four days prior to surgery, the doctor prescribed a medicine (can't remember the name).  I looked it up on WebMD, and it was an anti-viral medicine for prevention of herpes (same virus that causes shingles).  I know when I was post-surgery in the hospital they gave me that medicine too.   Luckily no shingles.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:03:44 pm by OTO »