Author Topic: CK vs.GK  (Read 9982 times)

teripo

Re: CK vs.GK
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 07:42:35 am »
Jim Thanks and to all I am going today ..wish me luck! Jim who did your initial surgery?Sorry for all the questions..

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »
Jim who did your initial surgery?Sorry for all the questions.

No problem, that's what we do here.   :)

My AN 'debulking' surgery was performed by Dr. Isaac Goodrich and Dr. Judith Gorelick.  Both are neurosurgeons and affiliated with Connecticut Neuroscience in New Haven, CT.  http://www.ct-neurosurg.com/2801.html  They did an outstanding job. 

Jim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:23:09 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

teripo

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 05:13:17 pm »
OK I went to Dr. Haas today and he reccomended 3 treatments CK.He said it was slightly pressing on the brainstem.He actually trained with Dr. Lundsford in Pittsburgh, where it was invented, I think? He also used to treat with GK and was not a fan of this antiquated treatment of screwing on a skullcap ,when CK has the same results with a robotic arm to boot.He said the 1st place I went to North Shore LIJ has a linear machine SRS.He went on to mention the history of why Winthrop has the CK,because they contracted it first with the stipulation no one else on Long Island would have access to it.So NS/LIJ got this other machine right afterwards which is linear,dont quote me please! I was impressed with this Doctor as he teaches the therapy also.
 I have 2 appts. in Manhattan for Dr.Selesnick and Dr. Roland I think they mostly do surgery.My Dr. reccommended Selesnick and ANA mentioned Roland alot.
 I think all these consults are helping me create an informed decision.Although I will never know enough.

JLR

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »
Hi So glad you met with Dr. Haas. You really leave his office feeling very well- informed. I was very pleased with the CK at Winthrop under his direction. Its great that you are having all these consults as we need to be very informed in order to make the right decision. Although its always a coulda woulda shoulda situation. Good luck and please keep us posted, Regards, Joan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:22:48 pm by JLR »

teripo

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »
Jim thanks for all the info you are a hero member! OK the question... surgery for the AN then radiation seems like a thorough approach to beat this.I have 1.8 CM AN and no drs.have mentioned this approach.Your thoughts on this?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »
Jim thanks for all the info you are a hero member! OK the question... surgery for the AN then radiation seems like a thorough approach to beat this.  I have 1.8 CM AN and no drs.have mentioned this approach.Your thoughts on this?

Teripo ~

Thanks for your generous words.  I can only speculate but my presumption is that your AN is considered too small for the debulking & radiation approach. 

My AN was 4.5 cm and pressing hard on my brainstem, so, due to its size and location, radiation was never a consideration for me.  However, I had done my research and made sure my doctor knew (prior to our first consultation) that I was very concerned about developing facial paralysis as a result of the surgery.   When we met, he had a plan mapped out that was two-stage.  First the 'debulking' surgery that would pare down the tumor, basically 'hollow it out' (as he described it) taking it away from the brainstem, making it much thinner and so, very amenable to the effects of radiation.  He also planned to sever the tumor's blood supply, a critical step in the operation.  As I've mentioned, my neurosurgeon had decades of experience with AN removals and had my full confidence, going in.  He performed the surgery with the help of his able protégé, Dr. Judith Gorelick.  He promised that he would do everything possible to avoid causing any facial paralysis.  The operation lasted just under 9 hours and was very successful.  He reduced the AN to approximately 2.5 cm and the facial nerve was intact and functional.  I did not suffer facial paralysis.  In fact, I had few problems at all and was discharged 5 days after being admitted to the hospital.  It took awhile to regain serviceable equilibrium but I was driving within 2 weeks of my surgery and recovered at a brisk pace.  Ninety days later, I was scheduled for 26 FSR treatments.  These were 'mapped' (via MRI and CT scans) by both the radiation oncologist (the eminent Dr. Haas) and my outstanding neurosurgeon, Dr. Issac Goodrich.  I received a total of approximately 27 gray (2,700 rads).  The sessions were tedious but uneventful and I never suffered any problems e.g. nausea.  Subsequent MRI scans indicated the beginnings of necrosis and tumor shrinkage.  Personally, I feel great.  No symptoms and no real problems.  I'm SSD but I was SSD prior to the surgery so that was never an issue.   

To wrap up this long explanation, I'll suggest you ask one of the doctors you consult about the debulking approach (with follow-up radiation) to get a professional opinion.  My guess is that they'll say (due to it's size and location) that they can safely remove the entire tumor in one operation and there is no need for surgery plus radiation.  I'll be interested to find out how this progresses.

Jim 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:20:37 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

teripo

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 07:12:28 pm »
The first thing I cant help thinking of is my hearing?If I get surgery that will go.I am anxious to treat this but I want to keep what I have left in the ear.Maybe 50% and I know it may go anyway or some of it.But I am going to surgeons in the city on Aug 22 so that is 1 of my questions.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 04:53:07 am »
The first thing I cant help thinking of is my hearing?If I get surgery that will go.I am anxious to treat this but I want to keep what I have left in the ear.Maybe 50% and I know it may go anyway or some of it.But I am going to surgeons in the city on Aug 22 so that is 1 of my questions.

When it comes to radio treatments, there are newer studies reflecting that "fractionation" of radio-treatments do tend to help with hearing preservation. The thoughts behind this is.... by fractionating the doses over multiple days with lower doses each day will help with surrounding structures and lower hits of radiation to the structures surrounding the tumor.

There are many that have had radiation done with a single dose (ie: GK) when much of their hearing is already lost prior to treatment. For many (myself included) that had/have higher levels of hearing, pre-treatment, many have opted for "fractionated" treatments with "hearing preservation" as one of the primary goals... many treated successful (myself included).  Many have posted here regarding hearing preservation with fractionated radio treatments over the years... many successful... some not. 

Hopes this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

teripo

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 05:08:59 am »
Pearl how mant treatments did you get of CK,sounds like you have a great outcome.

JLR

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:00 pm »
Hi, I had 3 days of CK.  I had a total of 18 gys of radiation which was dosed( fractionated) evenly per day. If I were to have 5 days of CK the total dose would still be 18 gys. There is another very good site with a very knowledgeable doctor who specializes in CK and AN..
http://www.cyberknife.com/Forum.aspx. JLR

sarahinPA

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 07:59:10 am »
Teripo, I had gamma knife in 2009, and my hearing actually
Improved slightly after the treatment. I am currently 9 days out of surgical removal and even though I have lost my hearing, my good ear is like a bionic hearing! I could hear my boyfriend ripping duct tape from 2 rooms away last night!!!! Plus it's weird, but I can hear directional sounds and hear people talking on my bad side. I was scared to loose my hearing my hearing too! But other than the increase in tinnitus the hearing loss has not been a very big adjustment! Talking on the phone in my good side is sooooo loud now! It's so weird! But the loss if hearing truly is not that bad!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 06:42:08 pm »
Sarah .....

It is a mixed bag to have bionic hearing in one ear and none in the other.  I have the same issues, plus the tinnitus you describe, as well.

The name for the "bionic hearing" is hyperacusis.

See:  hyperacusis
    n 1: abnormal acuteness of hearing due to increased irritability
         of the sensory neural mechanism; characterized by
         intolerance for ordinary sound levels

I had my audiologist make a custom fit musicians' earplug for me a couple of years ago to put in my "good" ear so I could tolerate really loud situations (restaurants, movie theaters, etc.)  I also keep ear protectors (my husband bought them originally to mow the lawn) handy to use when running the blender, etc.  Both of these things have greatly helped the hyperacusis.  Unexpected noises still cause me to jump ..... especially chip bags opening, dishes clanging, etc.

I do not know if this is related or not, but on audiograms, the hearing in my good ear is way above normal for my age.  I thought that was a good thing ..... now I'm not so sure.   :'(

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011