Author Topic: Possible AN Scared!  (Read 10763 times)

nini

Re: Possible AN Scared!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »
I really don't know Maureen:(. What I guess is there is something in my middle ear or my thympatic membrane(although the doctor said there isn't) . I have pain when I touch my ear like it has a lesion and my ear pops out when I talk at loud.
The problem is I always listen to something(music , tv, radio... ) not to hear my tinnitus. It's really hard studying this way. I don't really know what's my disease. The thing is I've had it for 6 years.  ???

bluebird

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 04:34:50 am »
Hi Nini,
You are not alone!  In January, I had sudden hearing loss in one ear, roaring tinnitus and many other symptoms (head tingling and tremors, head aches, aural fullness and occasional ear pain, and feeling of imbalance when walking down stairs) - I have had 2 MRI's - with contrast and one MRA.  so far, nothing has come up to show the cause.  Like you, I am so bothered by the tinnitus.  I think it is actually causing my head tingling and tremors.  I am sure the worry about what all of the other symptoms are caused by are making the tinnitus harder to deal with.  My sleep is horrible - as I wake up several times a night from the noise in my ears.  I am going for a 3rd opinion on Friday and bringing the MRI disc with me.  This doctor plans on looking at the actual film - unlike many of the other doctors I have seen, who only looked at the report.  Anyhow, I totally understand your anxiety.  I recently started a new job - and it is so hard to interact naturally with my coworkers while hearing all of these strange sounds in my head, and struggling to hear conversation at the same time.   I hope you will take comfort in knowing that I understand what you are experiencing.  Please keep us posted on how things turn out.  It may be that we both have an atypical form of Meniere's Disease (without the disequilibrium/dizzies).  Best wishes and sending prayers your way...

nini

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »

So I just visited my doctor. He said the good news is you don't have AN. Then I asked him so what is it and he said he doesn't know and that he suggested I use hearing aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( I tried one and it didn't have any effect on my hearing or tinnitus.
I have pain in my ear for God's sake when I touch it!! My doctor didn't really care at all. I don't really know what to do.
I mean it can't just be nothing !!

@Bluebird I wish you find out what's the problem. I got my MRI CD and I have to show it to some other doctors probably. The hearing is not a big deal I'd say but the tinnitus is just so hard to bear sometimes. I thought I might be able to get rid of it . Anyways I'm already living with it for 6 years.

bluebird

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »
There are many hearing aids that I have been told can really make a difference with the tinnitus.  Maybe you could ask the doctor to refer you to a good audiologist who can help you find the right hearing aid.  For many people, (the right) hearing aids provide a relief from the tinnitus.  I am sorry about the pain you are experiencing in your ear.  It has to be scary.  It seems like pain should not be one of the symptoms of losing your hearing... I am planning on trying hearing aids next year when I have budgeted for them and my hearing loss is not fluctuating anymore.  Good luck.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
Hi Nini, I am sorry I am just joining this thread, but I am relieved to hear you don't have AN. Although now you have to deal with the frustration of trying to figure out exactly what is going on with your ear, maybe a second opinion is in order.  Or a third...  Either way, it sounds like this doctor isn't getting you the answers you need, so try someone else, if you can.  Take care and good luck with all this!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:04 am »
Count your blessings...not having an AN is HUGE. I know having tinnitus is not fun...most of us here have it, and it drives some people crazy, and some of us just live with it. I know that it is driving you crazy, but you will have to live with it, until you get the right help. My father was having a lot of pain he could not deal with, and he went to a pain clinic where they taught him some mental techniques that helped him deal with the pain. There was not any medical treatment. You might look for a neurologist that can help you. There is no cure for tinnitus, but there some help out there for you...you just have to find it. Hang in there!

James

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 11:18:18 am »
nini .....

Not sure this is helpful or not ..... we had an audiologist come speak at our last WV ANA Support Group meeting, specifically on the topic of tinnitus.  Two things I learned .....

1) silence always makes tinnitus worse.  Therefore she was recommending an under the pillow speaker for a sound machine with a choice of sounds, like ocean waves, rippling water, white noise, music, etc. ..... whatever works for you so that the brain has something to work on besides trying to fill in its own noise (tinnitus).  This is also why your doctor recommended a hearing aid.  My tinnitus is much less when I wear my hearing aid ...... even though it does not give me back normal hearing.

2) look for an ear clinic in your area that have trained audiologists in neuromonics.  Not everyone can be helped with it, but the audiologist said some people have great results with it.

Your ear pain is a separate issue from the tinnitus so two treatments are most likely indicated.  Have you had your ear canal checked for any infection or fluid behind the ear drum?  (Remember, I am not a doctor so you should definitely seek medical treatment for the ear pain.)

Many hopes and prayers that you will find relief soon!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nini

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 07:57:34 pm »

I love you all and although I don't belong here anymore I love to keep in touch with you :-* I just can't impress how relieved I became after getting so many replies.

@ Jay I'm really sorry for the news. I hope with all the great caring people and with the wealth of information on this forum you can get back your health. I'd definitely get second opinions as you suggested.

@ Bluebird Actually there was an audiologist in his clinic that talked to me and even let me try the hearing aid(I don't know what's its name). It didn't help that much with the hearing and as I understand it just helps you neglect the tinnitus with adding some noise. He told me honestly that it wouldn't help that much. The tinnitus is sometimes unbearable but I'm Ok with the pain.

@ James: I do count my blessings really. I'm blessed and relieved. I can surely understand your pain. I can't explain how I felt under the MRI machine. I have to be grateful and not nag about tinnitus while you all are going through all the pain. Tinnitus in nothing comparable.

@ Clarice: I'm sure there is something wrong with my ear. Is there any way they can look through your ear? I've never checked it for infection or fluid. No doctor ever said anything about a method by which you can check through the ear. Thanks a lot again for all the support and I wish you maintain your health.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:54 pm »
nini .....

An ENT doctor can see your eardrum by looking in your ear canal.  He/she can tell if it is red, glistening, bulging, etc. what additional problems you may be having with your ear ..... plus, of course, other testing procedures could be indicated.  You should definitely pursue finding out what is causing your pain.

Best wishes and let us know what you do find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nini

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 09:14:25 am »
Dear Clarice,

My eardrum was checked that way. I mean he looked into my ear but he didn't find anything...

lauralynn

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 08:19:18 pm »
Hello Nini,

I just read this thread today and I hope you have been able to get some help with everything that has been going on with you.  I have severe tinnitus 24/7 and loud noises can definately cause pain.  I'm glad to hear that you do not have an AN, though I will be praying that you soon will find out what is wrong and hope that you can find a doctor that won't misinform you and scare you!  When the radiology people found my large AN ...they pulled me into an office and told me I had to have someone pick me up.  I asked why because I had to get  to work!  They told me all this scarey stuff that could happen!  My ENT called and told them to let me go.   ;D  So yes, get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions if needed.  And as others have said...AN or not, come here and we will help as much as we can.  Keep us posted.

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone