Author Topic: Plane trips  (Read 12276 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Plane trips
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:03:21 pm »
No AN related problems but flying in general has become such an inconvenience that I avoid flying whenever possible.  I believe in security but the real problem is that our security system has the mistaken notion that inconveniencing everyone makes us more secure -- it doesn't.

I agree.  Airport security hassles ordinary Americans over petty things while terrorists seem to be able to smuggle explosives unto planes.  Only the ineptness of the terrorists and some good fortune have prevented an attempted terrorist attack coming to fruition and taking many lives.  Had the bomb Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was hiding in his underwear on Christmas day, 2009 on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 went off, it would have probably blown a hole in the side of the aircraft and brought the plane down, likely killing all 290 passengers and possibly causing more deaths on the ground (the plane was in Canadian air space at the time Abdulmutallab unsuccessfully tried to ignite his underwear bomb).  Shortly afterward, a government official went on TV to incorrectly announce that "the system worked' - because the  al Qaeda-sponsored, would-be suicide bomber (Abdulmutallab) was physically subdued by a passenger and the fire in his pants (no jokes, please) was quickly extinguished by the plane's crew.  Abdulmutallab is in prison, awaiting trial.  Meanwhile, U.S. airports are getting full-body scanners and if you don't want your full body scanned, you can submit to a hand-held detector search or a physical pat-down.  How reassuring.     

I can't completely disagree with the upgraded airport security measures but, like you, Neal, I don't feel all that confident about their ultimate effectiveness.  I also find unacceptable that these would-be terrorists seem to be able to easily evade detection from the government agencies that are supposed to be protecting us.  Instead, we're all equally inconvenienced and that doesn't seem to be effective, considering that Abdulmutallab had been known to the authorities and never should have been allowed on a plane.  We have to do better.  Hassling ordinary Americans trying to get from one place to another by plane with a lot of ever-evolving 'security measures' (no blankets on your lap and no bathroom visits allowed during the final 30 minutes of a flight) that seem to be more reactionary than thought-out, aren't going to cut it.

O.K., I admit to hijacking the thread - but it's Neal's fault.  Just kidding.  I apologize for my rant. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »
It isn't just in the US that new security measures are in place.  It is in Canada also and I'm sure most of the civilised world.  Is it an inconvenience or is my life and yours more important?  Scary to think how bad the situation could have been.  Yes it sad that people hate the Western way of life so much and can be manipulated into blowing themselves and a plane load of people up.  I guess for them life is cheap, easily expendable.  

I hated wearing a seat belt when I was 9 months pregnant but I did all four times for my safety and the safety of my sons.  

Sorry for continuing the hijack, safety in a plane, bus, car and anywhere where people gather is very important to me.  I hate being paranoid but the "WORLD" is a much dangerous place than ever.

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:56:47 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 06:33:27 am »
While security can be a pain, I'd rather have them over-zealous than put me at risk.

I'll put up with just about anything if it makes my flight safer.

Jan

Jan,

That is the problem exactly -- you think that you are putting up with all this 'inconvenience' to make you safer - but in reality you are not safer, just inconvenienced. Don't mistake inconvenience for 'more safety' that is the error of this thinking.  While good security may cause inconvenience, inconvenience itself does not give us good security. What we have in the US does not scare the terrorists.  We need to get experienced  airport security professionals (you might find some in Israel!) and begin a real airport security program, not just a professional inconvenience program like we now have.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

lori67

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 06:50:53 am »
I suppose the best solution to this problem for those that feel inconvenienced is to just not fly.   ;)

And those of us that appreciate that at least SOMETHING is being done in an effort to keep us safe will continue flying the friendly skies.

Speed limit signs don't seem to strike fear in the hearts of speeders - but I don't think it would be a wise choice to do away with them.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 07:12:01 am »
Speed limit signs don't seem to strike fear in the hearts of speeders -
Lori

Ah, so you've seen my older son on the road, huh ::)

...sorry...Cindy :)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 09:33:21 am »
Cindy,

Yup - and I blew right past him!   :D  I learned to drive in NJ - what do you expect?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 01:00:02 pm »
Lori ~

Because the question that initiated the thread has been effectively answered I'll boldly continue the hijack by stating that I agree that with the current and likely long-term security threat from terrorist schemes based on irrational hatred, airport security measures are certainly justified.  I also agree with Neal that simply being inconvenienced does not automatically equate to being protected.  Frankly, I doubt that any security measure short of the kind El-Al (the Israeli airline) uses would be sufficient and although El-Al has a sterling record of not being boarded by terrorists, would-be bombers or hijackers, those kind of highly restrictive measures - necessary for Israel 's airline in light of the hatred their mere existence generates for some - would not be feasible as an airline industry-wide system.

Your analogy of speed limit signs and speeders is only partially pertinent.  As you know, authorities do more than simply put up speed limit signs.  They use radar installations and police observance to discourage speeders.  Police issue 'tickets' that are fairly expensive.  Being convicted of speeding can endanger your license and increase your auto insurance premiums.  These are effective but of course, the police can't patrol every single road 24/7 so speeding goes on and occasionally people are killed because it does.  However, at least we know that if someone races past us at a high rate of speed, there is a good chance that the driver will be caught and stopped before too long.  That knowledge allows us to accept radar 'traps' and police cars observing traffic while parked on the side of the road, along with the ubiquitous speed limit signs you referenced.

I submit that having government 'no fly' lists that still allow suspected terrorists to board an American airliner and, as Faisal Shazad, the 'Times Square bomber' almost did, fly out of the country while being sought by the FBI as a terrorist suspect, is a failure of U.S. airport security, making all the petty inconveniences less than effective and so, little more than feel-good measures that induce a mistaken sense of security that, in reality, does not exist.  If we're going to be inconvenienced, it would be reassuring to know that at least our inconvenience is helping protect us.  For now, I don't believe it is and of course, there is no 'opt-out' of airport security measures.  We endure them whether or not we happen to believe they're more 'window dressing' than anything effective.  Still, I certainly don't object to the FAA and U.S. Homeland Security 'trying' but inconveniencing thousands of innocent people while not effectively protecting us is hard to accept.  Well, that's just me.  However, as you stated, if we really dislike the inconvenience we can just give up flying.  Just as we can give up driving if we don't like the fact that the police enforce speed limits.  Those two possibilities are almost mutually unrealistic but I know that a lot of people have avoided flying lately.  Some due to the hassle of airport security but many due to their fear that our airlines are not really safe from terrorists with bombs and a sense of righteous duty to kill people.  Airport security personnel making little old ladies open up their luggage or be 'screened' via a body scanner doesn't convince everyone that "at least they're doing SOMETHING!"   Based on recent events, I doubt it convinces many terrorists, either - but I could be wrong. 

That's my take - but as a moderator, I have to attempt to color within the lines and so, with a welcome sense of duty and in a spirit of bonhomie I'll leave the thread and go back to posting AN-related messages, as I should.  Besides, I have to help my wife redecorate our den.  Thanks for the chance to exchange views on this issue.  You too, Neal.   :)

Jim 

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

michelle d.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »
So now that i'm feeling oh-so-secure about going on this trip :)  from reading your awesome entries i guess i'll fret less about my AN and more about suspicious looking people who may have explosives hidden in their underpants....i'm feeling much more at ease!! Seriously though, I'm more worried about making my connecting flight in the Jersey airport...I've had more airplane horror stories from that airport than any other! Thank you for all the response...you guys are all great, and i concur with you about the airport issues.  It just reaffirms for me that if our country does come under attack, there are a LOT of Americans, like y'all,  who are willing and able to fight back--we are a fiesty bunch, aren't we?! :)  Love you!  <3
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »
Oh dear lord I can't believe I'm typing this but I actually agree with Neal...I know, Yikes! Take it from someone thats flies near weekly out of necessity (the job). You're no safer today in the airport or on an airplane than you were on September 10th, 2001. The same inept people that were earning minimum wage or little better on 9/11 are still manning those all to familiar "dysfunctional" airport security check points. The difference today being we're all footing the bill for their salaries as tax payers and, they have somewhat better looking uniforms depending on who you ask. To make matters even worse. They're overseen by the same government that brought you Healthcare Reform among other disastrous programs. I cringe again, Neal put it very well. Now Jim, well he's just the smartest guy on the forum!

I'm done!

Take Care!
   ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »
I personally feel much safer knowing that no one on the plane has more than 3 oz of shampoo with them.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
I personally feel much safer knowing that no one on the plane has more than 3 oz of shampoo with them.  :D

Steve

LoL...that's funny...thanks for the Laugh Steve!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:23 am »
Oh dear lord I can't believe I'm typing this but I actually agree with Neal...I know, Yikes! Take it from someone thats flies near weekly out of necessity (the job). You're no safer today in the airport or on an airplane than you were on September 10th, 2001. The same inept people that were earning minimum wage or little better on 9/11 are still manning those all to familiar "dysfunctional" airport security check points. The difference today being we're all footing the bill for their salaries as tax payers and, they have somewhat better looking uniforms depending on who you ask. To make matters even worse. They're overseen by the same government that brought you Healthcare Reform among other disastrous programs. I cringe again, Neal put it very well. Now Jim, well he's just the smartest guy on the forum!

I'm done!

Take Care!
   ;)
Doc

Wow, I'm flattered!

Neal
 ;D
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

kareno

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 09:13:18 am »
Hi:   
My husband flew three weeks after he had AN surgery and he did have a bit of a headache going to the bahamas but was perfectly fine coming home.  I think you will be fine he did chew gum which he said helped.  Enjoy your trip.!!
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

michelle d.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 07:38:58 pm »
Good to hear your reports -- i'll make sure to have gum and maybe motrin with me. :)   Thank you so much-- You guys are great!  :)  michelle d.
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old