Author Topic: Plane trips  (Read 12278 times)

michelle d.

Plane trips
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:50 am »
Hi AN-ers!  :)   Quick question...i will be flying for the first time since surgery 6 months ago and wonder if anyone has had issues with this post surgery??  ENT told me some people have problems with ear pain/ discomfort during flying trips.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.~michelle d.~
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

JerseyGirl2

Re: Plane trips
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:39:27 am »
I've been flying fairly frequently since my cross-country flight 10 days after my translab surgery over two years ago and have had no problems. I've generally chewed gum during take offs and landings and have continued that practice since my AN surgery. I think that you'll do just fine!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:12 am »
I don't fly regularly, but have many times since my surgery 3 1/2 years ago.  The first time was about 4 months post-op.  Never had any sort of pain or pressure issues aside from the normal popping as the air pressure changes.  You should be fine.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:55 am »
Like Catherine (JerseyGirl2), I flew home from LA following my translab...no problems with pain or pressure.  Flew again last summer and no problem then either.

Let us know how it goes for you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:15 am »
Have flown several times since my AN surgery and have had no problems whatsoever.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:05 am »
I agree - you shouldn't have any problem.  The only time I've had any issue is when I was flying back from the west coast with a terrible head cold and my good ear got blocked (eek).  However, that could just as easily happen with two ears.  The only other thing you may want to be cautious about is walking down the aisle of the aircraft while it is flight.  For some reason, I do have a pretty hard time with that and find that I have to clutch the backs of everyone else's seats - which I am sure they REALLY appreciate!!  ;D

You'll be fine!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

grega

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:14:02 am »
Hi michelle d. !

Have flown quite a few times since '04 surgery, with no problems.

Debbi, your story reminds me of an illness that caused me problems flying from Australia to the states back in the 90's .... well before my AN.  In-flight, it was extremely uncomfortable and painful. When I reached Hawaii for a planned overnight stop, I went to a doc who said I had something called barotrauma.  Rx: several days of steriods .... and the kicker .... he said I shouldn't fly for two days!  :o  I can hear the "awwwww's" now, even as we speak.  ::)  My co-workers also found it hard to believe .... but, stuff happens.

Michelle, I wish you no flying problems.

Greg :D
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:26:24 am »
Hi Michelle.

I've had no problems from flying either.  And if you fly Southwest, you can get the priority seating and get on first if you go to the desk and tell them you're deaf in one ear and need to be on a certain side of the plane. (If you are SSD - not sure).  I prefer to have my deaf ear towards the window so I can hear the flight attendant.  I was at the desk asking for the priority boarding pass one day and mentioned that if the plane was about to crash, I wanted to be able to hear the flight attendant make the announcement.  There was a man at the desk who said "Well, since I'm the pilot, I can assure you, if the plane is about to crash and you can't hear the flight attendant, you'll definitely hear me!".   :D

Another benefit of being SSD on a flight - you don't notice the crying babies as much, and you have an excuse to ignore the person next to you if you choose to.  Not that I would ever do that.... ;)

Greg, you poor thing - being "stuck" in Hawaii.... I don't know how you survived that trauma!   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

joebloggs

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Like everyone else I've had no issues and have flown numerous times since my surgery last year, both long and short haul.  I totally agree with Lori - if you're SSD defo try and sit with your deaf ear towards the window - I got caught out once and it was really embarrassing when the flight attendant was trying to get my attention and I couldn't hear her - those engines are really loud!  Speaking of loud engines - because of this I tend to wear either ear plugs in my good ear while I'm flying like these: (http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/care-plus-flight-mate-ear-plugs-p-113.html) to limit the damage this loud noise can do to my hearing.  Alternatively I wear noise reduction headphones.  Helps a lot. 

Have a good flight!

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:23 pm »
I fly on a regular basis and have experienced no serious issues.  The only minor issue was on the return trip home 10 days post op.  I experienced significant swelling in the muscle over the temple (between my right ear and corner of my eye.)  I iced it for a while during the flight.  It wasn't painful, just a bit of discomfort.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:58:35 pm »
No issues here either, just tough to hear with all the noise.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:20:07 am »
No AN related problems but flying in general has become such an inconvenience that I avoid flying whenever possible.  I believe in security but the real problem is that our security system has the mistaken notion that inconveniencing everyone makes us more secure -- it doesn't. 

sorry for the rant.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:43:30 am »
While security can be a pain, I'd rather have them over-zealous than put me at risk.

I'll put up with just about anything if it makes my flight safer.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 09:26:45 am »
I agree with you Jan!

I think being blown to bits would be a bit more of an inconvenience than taking off my shoes!

Of course you could always try my sister's suggestion of going to the airport in your bathrobe and slippers.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:36:14 am »
I can't walk in the thing that connects the airplane to the airport.  I experience severe dizziness and nausea.  I'm wheeled  in or I cover my eyes like a horse, and my husband guides me with the help of an attendant. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games