Author Topic: Losing our insurance  (Read 20523 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Losing our insurance
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 01:59:46 pm »
Well, there is a solution that might be possible, but not something my husband wants.  He really liked working for this company and they were doing great, until the recession finally got them in a bind, and at age 65 with a year to go to full retirement, he was hoping to finish out his career with them.  However, he is well liked and respected in the floor covering community in Portland and if he extended feelers, he might be asked to join another company.  However, they are all feeling the pinch, and as much as these other companies would like to have him, there might not be a job opening at this time.  We'll have to talk about that.  With our pre-exisiting conditions, not having continuing coverage scares me to death.  We won't ever get insurance.  I don't know how that works once I'm on medicare and have to get a supplemental insurance.  Would they deny me, too?

I was talking to Lorenzo, who used to come on here, and he lives in Ireland.  I told him about this and he was shocked about the pre-existing conditions problem.  He said it was against the law in Ireland to do that.  I told him that was one of the things President Obama is working on. I also said I'd probably be 110 before all of this insurance hoopla is settled by Congress, if it ever is.

Really, I'm just teasing about Uruguay.  Sounds like a lovely place to visit, but I would be scared to death to move so far from home.  With my luck, quiet, peaceful Uruguay would, at that moment, decide to have a major military upheaval.  I'd be more inclined to go north to Canada, if it ever came to that.   Which I'm sure it won't. Of course if we decide we have to move to Canada, that would be when they would change their policy and not allow all of these uninsured Americans into their country to further burden their health care system, thereby making native Canadians wait longer for their care.  We'd be run out of town on a rail.  ;)  You know how wild and crazy those Canadians are!! ;D   Washington state has some kind of insurance thing that I was looking at yesterday.  You have to show them you've been denied and they might have some kind of emergency coverage available.   It's a thought.

Never thought we'd be a part of the current political situation.  And if "they" are going to reform our health care mess, somebody better hurry, because there are a lot of folks in trouble.

Sue in Vancouver, USA (currently!)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 03:29:24 pm »
Sue,

Our problem was that my husband's former company terminated the insurance coverage a couple of days prior to terminating him.  We were offered Cobra at $1246.00 a month.  It was cost prohibitive for us and I figured that I would be covered by Medicare since I am disabled.  Unfortunately I am not and because our insurance had lapsed no one else will pick me up except for catastrophic illness.  I think my copays were already catastrophic!!  I figure if I get sick I will go to the county hospital and let the tax payers bail me out.  I certainly have bailed out more than my share of illegal aliens!!  Medicare won't turn you down for preexisting conditions, but you can only enroll at certain times of the year if you miss it when you apply for Social Security.  The Medicare.gov has a lot of information that  should answer your questions.
If you can shop for insurance while you still have it, even with existing conditions, you can still get it, even though it may be a little higher than "normal".  I am keeping you and your husband in my prayers.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 07:03:45 pm »
Thank you, Brenda!

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 12:47:29 am »
I think  all your positive thoughts are working.  Bill's boss said that she was "re-thinking" the insurance decision.  Keep sending positive vibes, guys, I think it's working!   :)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:15:42 am »
Sue,
That is super news!!  I'll keeping sending positive thoughts and prayers your way as I know will the rest of the crew!  Score one for the little guys!! ;D  Where's the poem that goes with this positive news???
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 11:23:56 am »
Hmmmm, I'll have to think on that!!  :D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
I'm confused, Brenda...when I got my disability claim finally approved after 5 years, I was automatically put on Medicare within 6 months, Both part A and B and then I immediately signed up for part D which is the prescription drug plan.  Why didn't you get Medicare with your Social Security Disability?

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:19:54 pm »
So far, our insurance is still okay!!  Whew. 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 03:08:56 pm »
Capt Deb,
My local SS office sent me a letter stating that I did not have to apply for Part B and D because I had existing health insurance.  Fortunately I kept the letters and when i was told I would have to wait until the normal signing up time and then wait for six months for Part B to become active and pay for it for six months prior I wrote to my congressman and the big wigs at SS.  I sent copies of all of my corresponence.  As of October 1 I have Part A and Part D.  Because my husband lost his job and we virtually have no income except my SSD for a short time I get reduced drug copays and reduced payment for the Part B.  I don't know how long that will last.  Not long I hope, I am hoping my husband's new business gets really busy fast, but this is not a good time of the year to start a business!  I pray a lot!!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 09:43:15 am »
Sue -

I kind of lost track of this thread for a while.

I'm thrilled to see you still have insurance; great news.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:07 pm »
Hi Sue & Brenda!

Sue - i am so glad you still have insurance, too - thank goodness!

Brenda - I am so sorry about all the insurance issues you have been thru.  So i am thinking of you and saying prayers that all works out soon for you & your husband.

---------
Sue - i was an exchange student in the 70's and spent a year in Uruguay (right after the military coup!)  Police riding around in jeeps with M16 rifles - not something this country girl was familiar seeing in my neighborhood.

But, Punta del Este IS beautiful - an area where many people go from Montevideo to vacation in the summer. (I went there once or twice, very nice!)
However, i would have agree with Jim - the medical system is not like ours - we have some of the finest in the world, and you really find that out when you live outside the US, especially in Latin America.
I imagine things are different now than when i was there; but just having a wisdom tooth pulled out was enough for me!
Also - i remember Christmastime and hot weather.  That is different if you are originally from Pennsylvania.  ;D

Let's all say a prayer for the US healthcare system, so all can have affordable healthcare.

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Brendalu

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 06:17:27 am »
I can't remember if I updated this or not, so bare with me.  I wrote a letter to the Social Security Administration.  I included the correspondence from local SSA office (they are the ones who told me I didn't need Part B or D because I had private insurance).  Two weeks later I received a letter stating I had been approved for Part D.  A month later I was approved for Part B retroactive to the same date I received my Part A card.  I wrote back and stated that the $2400 plus that they wanted wasn't affordable and neither were my drugs on any of the plans.  Two weeks ago I received yet another letter stating that I would get supplemental help with my drugs and Part B and D  While I appreciate all of the help they want to offer, the drugs are still not affordable and neither are the premiums.  I really don't know how people who only receive Social Security can afford to live (which I am presently one of them).  I can understand the dog food and taking your meds on a limited basis. 
We decorated our home this year.  It will be our last Christmas in this house.  Taxes went up by 20%, utilities went up by 15% and medical care went up by 60%.  Our home value went down by 26%.  The President's Making Homes Affordable doesn't help us because my SSD isn't high enough!  What a double edged sword.  I am not bitter.  I am just incredibly sad, along with so many others.

God's Blessings and Hugs to all,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 01:24:52 pm »
Brenda .....

..... really do not know what to say ..... life is not fair at many points.  So glad you posted what is going on in your life .....

You continue in my thoughts and prayers for a realistic and acceptable solution to the dilemma you are facing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 02:13:19 pm »
Brenda ~

Your concise summation of the financial difficulties you're facing is unsettling.  Unfortunately, the negative national (and global) economic situation is slowly but surely eroding everyone's lifestyle to some extent.  I'm truly sorry to learn that it is having such a devastating impact on your ability to stay in your home but with the increase in taxes and costs that you've outlined, I can see why you're in a bind, just as many others are.  My heart goes out to you - and you'll be in my prayers.  I admire your refusal to succumb to bitterness....that shows character.  Stay strong.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »
Jim,

My Momma told me a very long time ago that rough spots in the road build character.  So I am quite a character.  I have so much to be thankful for that this hiccup isn't gonna get me down.  I survived brain surgery and got to meet all of you if only in cyber space, and making friends and helping one another through good thoughts and prayers is so much more important to me than a house of brick and stone.  It is what is inside that counts.
Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.
On a very positive and wonderful note, Chris stood today with the help of the therapist and only for a minute, but he added a couple of more words to his speech and told his wife "love you much"  Most important words to hear and say.

So to all of you love you much.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT