Author Topic: Spiffy  (Read 3919 times)

Kilroy1976

Spiffy
« on: June 27, 2006, 02:18:06 pm »
I have learned that my AN-side nerves are especially sensitive to near misses from lightning. The bolt hit, and a blinding pain went through my face and my tinnitus got about 100 times worse. It's just a dull ache now, and the ringing has subsided, but both are still worse than usual. Any scientists in the room that would care to explain? ;)
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

tony

Re: Spiffy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 12:35:48 am »
I dont think I can explain it as such. A few ideas perhaps.
Basically all nerves work by small electrical impulses and many nerves run
very close to each other - eg - a sudden and very loud bang can cause
a very tempory vision black out (you literally see the bang)
This is often put down to overload - so much signal
down the nerve that it impacts on the adjoining nerve as well.
Why the AN side is worse ? maybe the compression caused
by the AN has made them swell, or compressed them together
more than they normally are ?
Given the proximity of all this to the brainstem
- my advice might be stay indoors during a storm.
Best Regards
Tony

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:30:41 pm »
I'd say a near-hit is better than a direct hit with lightening....health wise anyway. ;D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:06:05 pm »
I recommend you stay away from trees, down power lines and water  ;D
At least that is what I keep hearing on the news lately.  We've had some whoppers lately.

I have noticed when the storms are coming in the left side of my head (an side) will start to throb and start with a headache :o(  Think we need to change states kilroy?

Static

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:12:17 pm »
Batty,  Since the surgery, I've also said that my head is a sort of "barometer", but for me it's the opposite side from the tumor.  It's been really bad around here lately, we've had lots of flooding.  We just put a pool in the back yard and now the yard is flooded around the pool from all the rain.  It's getting smelly and stagnant.  We've put chlorine in it and also something to kill any mosquito larvae but I'm worried about the goofy puppy.  She went back there tonight and drank it.  She was jumping all around in it and came out smelling like the delaware river (really disgusting).  Her 2nd bath in as many days from running around back there.  We just put up a fence in the yard so she could run around and now we have to leash her again.  Ok, so I am really getting off topic, but yeah, the storms coming makes for big time headaches and pressure and realllllly loud tinnitus.  I hope it stops soon!  Lots of flashes tonight, hopefully we won't lose power again! BTW, went for my MRI and I didn't hear anyone saying "would you look at thing" or anything similar, so I'm hoping things are ok.  I have to set up an appointment to see someone who can read these films hopefully around here or I will have to run into center city philly to see my neuro.  Keeping my fingers crossed!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 08:41:59 am »
Good luck Static!!!!  Hope the MRI's come up clear with no shreds of wadded gum or junior mints in there!

I'd agree with Tony that it's something like that. Lightening is caused by negative charge and is basicly a really big zap of static electricity.  I'd say that having nerve scar tissue and electricity possibly trying to travel where it shouldn't in your body might be related.  Just because the main bolt hit near you doesn't mean that some of the elctricity didn't arc in your direction.  We all seem to be much more sensitive to sensory overload, and I think a close hit of lightening containing lots of electricity would be just that.   Whatever the case, hopefully you won't have to find out if it would happen again.  If you want to experiment with it though, try making static electricity by rubbing a balloon on your AN side and get that negative charge going and see what happens!  Or have someone shuffle-walk on wool carpet and touch your AN ear! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 02:02:24 pm »
Oh Kathleen please please please don't give my son ANY ideas  LOL  I can see him trying that just to see my reaction  LOL ;D

Kilroy1976

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:36:41 pm »
I kind of thought that, since the brain is electrical, any additional electricity in the air around it would have some impact. I thought that a "frayed wire" in the brain, such as a damaged nerve, might be especially sensitive. Who knows though; it sure was strange.

(and for the record, I know not to go outside during thunderstorms. Bats will agree with me when I say that isn't always possible in this state.)
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

jeffs_4077

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 12:54:43 pm »
have you seen the' War Of The Worlds' with Tom Cruise. maybe AN's are alien planted and need a little charge to get goin!