Author Topic: Tinnitis in other ear?  (Read 2872 times)

ColaBurns

Tinnitis in other ear?
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:50:13 pm »
HI everyone, haven't been on for a while. My last MRI in January showed the 4mm tumor on the right side remained unchanged. Lately however within the past month I've noticed ringing and sometimes some hearing loss in the left ear. I dont really get ringing in the right ear where the tumor is but wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm a 29 year old mother of 2 young kids so the last thing I need is to worry about this. Thanks in advance.

Cola
Diagnosed June 25th, 2010
Acoustic Neuroma: 4mm right side
Doctor: Dr. Fucci in Chandler, AZ
I now belong to the Watch and Wait Brigade!

chrisransom

Re: Tinnitis in other ear?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:15:19 am »
Cola -

I have the same questions and have the opinion that the medcial community understands very little about tinnitus.

I have had tinnitus in both ears as long as I can remember - I am 49 and I can recall ringing even when I was 7 or 8.  My AN is on my left side and only recently diagnosed. But sometimes my right rings even louder than the left.  I wonder about it too but my understanding of tinnitus is that its a brain-thing and not an ear/nerve thing. The brain is basically filling in information where it expects to find it.  We just perceive a sound and there really isn't a sound.  So the brain is just sending it out and we hear it on both sides.

I dunno - it's very odd.

Chris

Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:52:36 am »
I have head noise. It varies from ringing, chirping,beeping. Sometimes it feels like one ear, then both ears, then just all over my head. I have spoken with Dr. Brackmann...no worries. Brain just picking up sounds, varying noises and where they come from is normal
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Farmgirl88

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:57:15 am »
Hey Cola,

I have constant ringing in my AN ear, but this winter, I had a few instances where it briefly switched ears for a few seconds, then switched back again!  I hasn't done that for a couple months, though.  And sometimes it suddenly changes pitch, then goes back to my "usual" whine/hiss.

That's my understanding, too, that it's your brain reacting to hearing loss.  Have you had a hearing test recently?

Lori
AN diagnosed 3/2011, 7 mm x 6 mm x 4 mm, right side
Some hearing loss, have tinnitus 24/7
Watch & wait

moe

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:32 am »
Hi Cola,
Good to hear that your MRI came back OK. I have tinnitus in both ears, it is weird. With spring and allergies and such you may be just plugged up. People complain of worsening of symptoms with allergens.
So my guess is nothing to worry about. Maybe try a decongestant if you have the allergy thing going on.
Have fun with your kids this spring!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty