Author Topic: Does BAHA help at large parties?  (Read 9194 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Does BAHA help at large parties?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:14 pm »
This is really interesting.  I just had a follow up with my neurotologist yesterday and asked some questions about BAHA.  He's suggested that I make an appointment with the NYU audiology department so that they can test me to determine if I would be a good candidate for a BAHA.  I think the question mark for me is that I have hyperacusis in my hearing hear which makes me extremely sensitive to certain types of noise. 

I am curious if anyone on this thread has hyperacusis and a BAHA  and, if so, how do you like it?  (the BAHA, not the hyperacusis! :D :D)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

tenai98

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »
Jan
Isnt your feedback manager on?  Mine is off because it whistle when its on....therefore I hear the roar of the engine, the whistlin of the wind and the zoom zoom of the passing cars.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
This is really interesting.  I just had a follow up with my neurotologist yesterday and asked some questions about BAHA.  He's suggested that I make an appointment with the NYU audiology department so that they can test me to determine if I would be a good candidate for a BAHA.  I think the question mark for me is that I have hyperacusis in my hearing hear which makes me extremely sensitive to certain types of noise. 

Hi, Debbi,

I'm not sure if one could equate the BAHA's "effect" on tinnitus with its "effect" on hyperacusis, but for what it's worth I think it's generally agreed (though I'm sure that there are exceptions to the rule!) that BAHAs don't make tinnitus either better or worse. Perhaps they don't make hyperacusis better or worse either. I don't have hyperacusis, but I do have tinnitus and can certainly say that my BAHA has no effect on it whatsoever.

Best wishes as you continue your research!

I was so glad to see that you're on the ANA/NJ Board -- thanks for doing that!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 06:36:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback, Catherine.  I am curious to hear what the audiologist says after they test my hearing.  I can't imagine BAHA making the hyperacusis any better; my real concern is that it would create even more uncomfortable noises in my good ear. 

On a lighter note, my hubby found a source for large quantities of disposable foam earplugs so we now have about 1,000 of them.  Bright blue - very festive!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:23 pm »
Jan
Isnt your feedback manager on?  Mine is off because it whistle when its on....therefore I hear the roar of the engine, the whistlin of the wind and the zoom zoom of the passing cars.
JO

Jo -

yes, my feedback manager is on.  Probably the reason for the difference in our experiences.  Sometimes when I'm listening to music in my car my BP100 will squeal when the singer hits a particularly high note.  It generally beeps a time or two, then goes back to normal.

Debbi -

I don't have hyperacusis or tinnitus, but my doc agrees with Catherine on the tinnitus issue.  He told me that a BAHA really doesn't have any affect on tinnitus; won't make it better, won't make it worse.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 06:27:45 pm »
I was deaf on the left side for several weeks following my surgery, but fortunately my hearing returned to about 85% on that side. Aside from having to switch the ear I use for the phone, the main time I notice a deficit is in crowds or a large arena. I seem to remember reading that this problem is not uncommon among those with normal hearing as well. So I am not surprised that it would be an issue with a BAHA.

But it still seems that even with its limitations, the benefits of a BAHA are great. If I had remained SSD, I'm pretty sure I would be considering a BAHA, or TransEar, or SoundBite. We are truly fortunate that there are so many medical options available these days.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 06:31:52 pm »
Debbi - did your hyperacusis start after your AN surgery? I am just wondering if as your brain began to try to compensate by hearing more with the good ear, that ear became too sensitive? In that case maybe a BAHA would help, if your brain is able to readjust to "hearing" from both sides.

Trying to think positively,
Sara

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13