Author Topic: Two weeks post op  (Read 3850 times)

mommy2michaelandleah

Two weeks post op
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:16:35 pm »
Today is two weeks post op.  Surgery was performed at HUP in Philly by Drs. Bigelow and Lee.  Sutures were removed yesterday.  I spent 3 nights in the hospital after a surgery that lasted from 9-530.  No balance issues since around day 8.  Facial nerve is workimg perfect.  I am a success storry so far.  I had mentally prepared myself for the worst and have been amzed at my progress.  The ringing in my ears has begun to become less bothersome.  Sounds funny but right now my main complaint is that the baby shampoo ripped all the color out of my hair and my grays are showing.  And i have the worst case of the itchies while the insicison is still healing.  All in all I am thrilled with my results thus far. 
Suzie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Two weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:37 am »
Hi, Suzie ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery and excellent recovery!  Thanks for letting us know how well you're doing. 

Your experience is encouraging to those just diagnosed and/or contemplating AN surgery.  As your experience demonstrates, it's not all doom and gloom. 

Try to keep us updated on your progress as your time permits.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mommy2michaelandleah

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:02:27 am »
I sure will Jim.  I am sure I will have some set backs here and there but we will worry about those when we need to. 
Suzie

TexasSprinter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »
Congrats on the great result. A huge relief, I know.

elauber

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:19:57 am »
Hi Suzie - Great news!  I have been to see Dr Bigelow twice now as I'm in 'Watch and Wait' status for the time being.  I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well and you are feeling good.  I'm fairly certain I will go the surgery route so it makes me a little calmer when I read about someone doing so well! 

How do you like Dr Bigelow?  I've seen a few different doctor's and I'm still trying to land on just one to stick with.  My mother is being treated at UofPA for cancer and they have been top notch.  But I'm still 'shopping around'.

Can you tell me what your sypmtoms were before hand?  I have some dizziness and tinnitus and I just wonder if any of that will be relieved after surgery or if it will just be worse.  Any kind of info you feel like sharing would be great. 
Best of luck with your recovery!  Thank you for letting us know how you are doing.
-Ellen
Ellen
6mmx4mmx4mm Left side AN with dizziness
currently researching treatments, doctors, etc

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:19:59 pm »
And i have the worst case of the itchies while the insicison is still healing.

I can relate to the "itchies" - had them after my BAHA implant as well as after my AN surgery.  Drove me absolutely crazy!!! 

If you can find an antiobiotic ointment with zinc it will provide some relief.

Sounds like the rest of your recovery is going well; hope that continues.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mommy2michaelandleah

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:58 pm »
Ellen,

My main symptom that sent me to my ENT was fullness in my right ear.  That has not been relieved since surgery.  Even though my hearing nerve was left intact I can not hear from the right ear.  Ringing in the ear is becoming less bothersome everyday.  My balance issues are pretty much resolved at this point. 

I am happy with Dr. Bigelow thus far.  We also saw Dr. Willcox at Jeff.  Liked him too.  I made my decision based on the sheer number of surgery Penn does vs Jeff.  And I felt much more comfortable with Dr. Lee, who does the surgery in conjunction with Dr. Bigelow.  Very personable.  Great bedside manner.  That mattered to me.  Jeff neuro was a nightmare to even schedule an appointment. 

Happy to answer any other questions.

Jan,
My itchies are much better.  That drove me crazy for a good portion of my first three weeks.

Suzie

mommy2michaelandleah

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »
Four weeks post op now.  Had appointmenrs with both doctors this week.  Everything is progressing along nicely.  Incision site is much less bothersome with each day. Excited for my audiolgist appointment in May.  The new Baha 4 was mentioned today as a potential possibility for me.  i guess we are waiting to see what the recommendation from the audiologist will be.  Fingers crossed.  Back to work at week 6-7.  Will be nice to be back in some normal routines in my house.

am2lady

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:30:48 pm »
What type of surgery did you have? What size was your AN? Glad to hear that you are recovering well. Gives those of us who haven't gone through this yet much hope that everything will turn out fine.
MRI showed - 1.9cm x 1.9cm x 0.9cm AN - as of 5/11/13
MRI showed - 20.5mm AP x17mm  transverse x 20.7mm - 5/8/14

Pharm925

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:51:42 am »
So glad to hear about your success. I feel like we are very similar in our great experiences. I am about 2 weeks behind you in recovery, it'll be 2 weeks post op for me on Wednesday. It's interesting to see your progress as I am right behind you. I am scared to get my incision wet, I wash around it as best I can. I imagine it'll get better after I get my stitches out tomorrow?
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm
Surgery on 4/16/2014 by Dr. Vrabec at Methodist in Houston-100% removed via Middle Fossa approach
6/6/2014- Hearing test done and AN ear hearing mostly saved!!!
4/2015- MRI 1 year post-op- clean of AN!!! :)