Author Topic: Two months post surgery and head still feels bruised?  (Read 5214 times)

Pajamas

Two months post surgery and head still feels bruised?
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:11:59 pm »
A little back story...I had surgery on November 7, 2012. I ended up with a staph infection and had to have another surgery to clean out the wound on November 27, 2012. I was on IV antibiotics and all that for more than six weeks.

I had to go back to my surgeon last week because there were sutures sticking out of my incision. (YES, I'm serious!!!) Additionally, where the sutures were knotted, were small and painful bumps on my skin along the incision. My surgeon literally cut the knots, skin and all. They are a little scabby but otherwise healing fine.

What's my point? The area AROUND my incision aches. It sort of feels like I banged my head up against the wall a few times and now have a bruise. It's a large area on the left side of my head. Yes, it's around the area that my incision is located but it's not exactly the incision. I can't really sleep on that side anymore because again, it feels bruised and achey. I don't know why it would feel this way from simply skin being cut around the incision, where the sutures were cut.

Did other people experience this? Let me say, the reason why I haven't called my surgeon is because I am starting to have some real issues with the care he's provided and I really don't want to go back there if I don't have to. He is inefficient and never seems to take care of the problems I'm experiencing.
What do you guys think? Sore because of the recent suture cut, sore because there's something wrong, or sore because it's totally normal after two months?

Jamie
Irvine, CA ~ Female ~ 32
10mm x 5mm x 6mm AN Left Side
Diagnosed: 9/19/12
Removed: 11/7/12
* Retrosigmoid Endoscopic w/Dr. John Frazee @ UCLA

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Two months post surgery and head still feels bruised?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »
Hello again, Jamie ~

I'm sorry to learn about your issues with the incision.  However, soreness at the incision site is quite normal and, in my experience, lasts for months as the skull heals internally.  I couldn't sleep on the 'incision side' (my left) for close to a year.  Now I can.  Others may have has similar or different experiences and will be posting on the thread soon, I'm sure.  For wht it may be worth, my conclusion is that the soreness you're experiencing is relatively normal - and will subside, in time. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

millie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:00:39 pm »
Hi P.J.
I am sorry you are having a rough time.  I had translab October 17th-left side.  After a few weeks, I could sleep on my left side-my big issue was the tight bandages after surgery.  Right now, the incision site is still numb.  My head feels full when I'm on my feet and being in department stores or big grocery stores becomes trying. However the physical discomfort and the crusties are all gone-but then, I did not have a second surgery
I am wondering how close you are to the HOUSE clinic everyone talks about.  Is that where you went?  My own ENT and neurosurgeon said to email them or their nurse practitioners with any questions any time.  Perhaps if you call the office and speak to the N.P.  you will feel better.    I know we are afraid to bother doctors but they are there to help us, and this surgery is a big deal to those of us who have it.
Best wishes,
Mil

Pajamas

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:33 am »
Hi Millie and Jim,

You are both so great, you always reply, thank you.

I am glad to know that it's probably normal. I think I'll give it a bit more time before I call and bug. I did not go to the House Clinic, I went to UCLA.

Maybe I'll hear from some others about their experiences as well.

Jamie

Irvine, CA ~ Female ~ 32

mikechinnock

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:15:22 am »
Hello Pajamas ... While my surgeries were 1978-1981, I can relate to your experience. For the third surgery the surgeon told me he was operating on scar tissue and this was the last operation he could do at this location. Subsequently I experienced a spinal fluid leak and the surgeon sutured that in a minor surgery. Unfortunately that began leaking within hours of leaving the hospital and a LP Shunt was installed to regulate the pressure in the skull. To this day I cannot sleep on the AN side and if anyone puts any pressure on the back of my head on that side I almost black out.

Medical practitioners are still practitioners. Nothing we humans put together is as good as the original product. The good thing is that a subsequent leak can be ameliorated. I agree with Jim, as I think the relative soreness will subside with time, but might never really go away. You have had major surgery and changes to your changes are now the norm to keep your eye on. It definitely is important to trust your surgeon 100%. If you have doubts, I suggest seeking a second opinion.

Good luck and keep us updated.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:11:50 am by mikechinnock »
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

LakeErie

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:29 am »
Jamie, the incision transects scalp nerves which take their own time to heal. I had soreness for several months, and in some places I was numb. It was four or five months before I was comfortable lying on the right side of my head. Now at 15 months, I am fine with the incision area, but above my ear, far from the incision itself, I am still a little numb. I expect that to eventually improve as well.
As far as your surgeon goes, they all have long experience with patient recoveries and what may seem as indifference to you is just their confidence that you are progressing normally. The surgeons have seen it all. In my case I had a CSF leak from the nose and it went on for weeks. The surgeon didn't seem concerned in the least, and sure enough it resolved on its own. He had seen it with large tumor removals before. We've never experienced these things before, but the surgeon's see it regularly. Good luck with your continued recovery.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Pajamas

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:16:36 pm »
Thank you so much to all of you who replied. It's amazing how much better you feel when you realize that you're not alone in what you are experiencing.

I will definitely hang in there and give myself a lot more time to heal and get used to all of this!

Jamie
Irvine, CA ~ Female ~ 32

AnthonyNJ

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
I would recommend 2nd opinion as you know your body best.  This is definitely a challenge but time will heal all.  Remember slow and steady win the race.

geexploitation

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »
Just chiming in to say that I too have experienced this. I still have occasional trouble. My symptoms wax and wane, so right now I'm experiencing more sensitivity around the incision and on my scalp and in my face/mouth. Sometimes nerves heal in this way -- nothing, on its face, to be concerned about.

I'll add, since I've been away from the site for a while, that I'm glad to see that you're doing better post-infection. Keep on keeping on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:04:12 am by geexploitation »
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.

kmr1969

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »
Hey Jamie,

I get all kinds of sensations/feelings around my incision and on that side of my head.  I'm 10 weeks post surgery and most of the time I still have a fair amount of numbness, but I've also experienced very brief but sharp pain (like being stuck by a needle), itchiness, and tightness.  I too rarely sleep on that side on my head.  It is not painful, just uncomfortable.  I'm SSD and with my good ear in the pillow and my bad ear up, I sleep like a baby.  I'm hoping my family will come and get me if the smoke detectors go off.

I do agree with Mike.  If you are feeling stress or uncertain because you don't have 100% confidence in your doctor, you should consider a 2nd opinion.  Hopefully, that 2nd opinion will support your original doctor and give you renewed confidence and renewed comfort.

Good luck and glad to hear you are progressing.  I am sorry for the setbacks you have had, but keep the faith that things will get better and you will be an incredibly strong person because of this adventure.

Take care,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »
not sure i have any advice PJ's as i'm only a one week postie but just sending you some support & agree to call your surgeon with any queries - even if it is just piece of mind xx
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

knit78

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 08:39:33 pm »
I'm just adding my two cents here -- I had surgery November 2nd, 2012 and I'm having the same pain & discomfort you describe. The incision itself doesn't hurt so much, but the right side of my head around the incision feels bruised. I can sleep on that side, but it's certainly not comfortable and will eventually wake up with a deep ache in my skull. My understanding is that this is entirely normal and part of the healing process. Doesn't really make it feel any better, I know, but at least we know it's normal, right? And like others have said, if you're really concerned it wouldn't hurt to give your doctors a call.

Hoping you feel better soon!

Nikki
Nikki

*MRI Sept 19, 2012 shows 14mmx9mmx9mm
*Consult with Dr. Barkers & Quesnell October 5th
*Retrosigmoid performed successfully November 2nd
*Returned home November 6th to begin my recovery
*Counting my blessings and looking forward to the day that I run the streets again