Author Topic: Surgery Date  (Read 2181 times)

sbrn

Surgery Date
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »
Well got done with the second hearing test and its official I have lost 75% hearing in my right ear. So with that being the case its doing to be the trans-lab approach. Really like the doctor that is going to do my surgery he answered all my questions and gave me some positive hope with this whole mess. As far as the ringing in my ear he did say there is a good chance it will go away (of course he gave me the worse case that it could get worse also) also talked about balance issues and facial issues. So far my surgery date will be 19 Oct. Again thanks for all the support and comments and I will keep everyone posted as it goes by. Only thing I did question was his opinion of BAHA. He doesn't think they are that good but all the comments of people that have them seem to speak otherwise. Guess the only way is to try it for myself and go from there.

Greg
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery Date
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:48:00 pm »
Greg ~

Congratulations on attaining a surgery date.  I agree that you should try the BAHA demo for yourself.  You'll know better than anyone if it works for you - and it probably will.

Your surgery is listed on the AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d19/10/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »
Oct 19 will be here before you know it. I had translab and had a great result, fast recovery. Get in tip-top physical shape prior to the surgery, loose any extra weight, and it will help your recovery.

Is your doctor SSD? If he is and he has a BAHA then he can give you a recommendation. My guess is that he is not SSD and does not have a BAHA. My surgery was in March 2010 and SSD is not  the worst thing in the world, but technology is good stuff. My hearing in my good ear is not too good, but at least when I had  two ears the TV didn't have to be set so loud. With only one ear, my wife had to suffer.

I wanted a BAHA because everyone here that has one thinks they are wonderful. I got tested, and the audiologist was having a bad hair day...she should just have stayed home that day. She finally said I was not a candidate...she needed drugs or a day off...even picked a fight with my wife. Long story short, I got my BAHA and it is like Christmas morning getting your first bicycle.

If your doctor has one, then his opinion has some value. I love my BAHA, and my opinion has some value. Good luck with your surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:49:17 pm »
Greg -

congrats on getting a date for surgery.  Glad you like your doctor - a major asset in AN treatment, in my opinion.  I can't even imagine having a doctor - or doctors - that I didn't like perform brain surgery on me.  I thank God every day for my docs; two outstanding men who were instrumental in my very positive outcome.

As far as the BAHA goes, listen to James.  His feelings and enthusiasm have a lot of merit - and I'm not just saying that because he and I agree.  Until someone is actually SSD and has tried the BAHA demo, or actually had the implant, they cannot give you an accurate opinion on how it does or does not perform.

Before I had my implant I asked my doc how his patients liked the BAHA and he told me that out of the 200 patients he had implanted at that time, only 1 decided she didn't like it.  In my opinion, that was the best testimonial he could have given me.  It spoke volumes.

The BAHA is not for everyone, but if you are open to having a titanium rod implanted into you skull (trust me, not nearly as bad as it sounds  ;) ) you definitely owe it to yourself to investigate it. 

I was telling my doc just yesterday how happy I am with my decision to get a BAHA and how much it's changed my life - and my attitude towards life.  I'm amazed each and every day by my BAHA and I still recall how depressed (and old) I felt before I got it. 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sbrn

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:33 am »
Well found out that my Surgery date has now been moved to the 26Th of October. If everything goes as the hospital predicts I will get out on Halloween. May be interesting to answer the door that evening after surgery  ;D
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:46 am »
Well congrats to you on deciding on treatment and setting a date.  Hopefully it doesn't get moved on you again...yes you would have a great Halloween costume...hee hee.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:03:57 am »
Sorry to hear your surgery date was postponed.

Hang in there, October 26th will be here before you know it!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »
Greg ~

I changed your surgery date on the AN Treatment Calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d26/10/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.