Author Topic: Trouble adjusting to my BAHA  (Read 8633 times)

Sefra22

Trouble adjusting to my BAHA
« on: August 27, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »
Is it me.... or have others had trouble adapting to the BAHA? ??? I know it's only my second day, but I thought this was going to be easy. I wore my BAHA for 6 hours yesterday, and woke up in the middle of the night with a ferocious headache,(which is not unusual for me), I took 2 Advil, but after 4 hours, it was still there and took 2 more. At 10AM I STILL had a headache, so I took an Excedrin Migraine. Around 11:00, it finally subsided, so I got dressed and ready to go to  the supermarket. I put on the BAHA, and within 15 minutes the headache came back  :'(

I don't know if it is related or not, because I do get a lot of headaches, but they usually go away with just 2 pain pills. Then there's the feedback, especially when I first put it on. It's so loud it's painful. And do you ever get used to hearing you hair bristle?

I hoping that those of you that have BAHA can give me some assurance that this is normal....

???Lisa

Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

JerseyGirl2

Re: Trouble adjusting to my BAHA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »
I can only speak for myself, but I think I can honestly say that wearing my BAHA has never given me a headache. I turn mine on before I put it on, and neither the feedback nor the bristling sound you describe bother me. It did take me a while to get used to putting it on -- sort of like Pin the Tail on the Donkey since you can't really see what you're doing, and the thought of attaching/detaching something to and from my head had a bit of a "yuk" factor at first -- but it wasn't long before it became totally second nature.

You've only been at it a couple of days, so maybe you just need a little more time to adjust. Have you considered turning the volume down a bit? Maybe it's too loud and that's what causing your headaches.

I hope that things improve for you -- if not perhaps you should contact your doctor.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:36:49 pm »
Hi Lisa it is an adjustment going from not hear to hearing I get headaches but it is not from my baha I got them before that as for the feedback when you put it on keep it off until you put it on then turn it on it will not feedback then you are touching the mic when you put it on so it would feedback that is why you need to keep it off until you click it on as for the feedback wearing it they can make adjustments to stop the feedback with the computer programs they can change the freq. range the are going to do that with mine mine does it on real high pitch noises it is like it is talking back to the sound lol I think it is funny but seriously they can change it it will take a couple of adjustments do not worry it will work out just some fine tuning  ;) . But I am glad you got it Lisa I guess the race is over  ;D .

Mike
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:16 pm »
Lisa -

I never experienced headaches from my BAHA, but I never experienced them after my AN surgery either.

As Catherine suggested, if things don't improve you should contact your doctor or your audiologist.

I never turn my Divino on until I've attached it to my head.  That way I avoid the squealing whistle.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:03:01 pm »
Thanks guys...now if I can figure out HOW to turn it off! I think part of the problem is that they gave it to me before the Audiologist was trained to program it. Right now it is on the default setting. She will have her training on Sept. 11, and I will see her shortly after that. They knew I was anxious to get it, so maybe it would have been better for me to wait.

I will look at the manual tomorrow, I just couldn't today with the headache.

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

luv2teachsped

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:57:09 pm »
Hi Lisa:

Unfortunately, I think it depends on the placement, your surgery etc.... I've had my BAHA for 2 years now, and after wearing it all day, my head aches. It aches at the implant site and in the surrounding area. My ENT insists it has nothing to do with my BAHA, but I get instant relief when I take it off. I have been one of the rare people that haven't been happy with my BAHA. A college and friend received her BAHA 1 month after I did, and she loves hers!! I am continuing to try wearing it more often but more often than not, I forget to wear it.Good luck!

Brenda
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:58:54 pm »
Lisa hold down the center button for about 5 seconds it turns off when you turn it back on after 15 mins it goes back to default program setting but before 15 min it stays where you kept it.

Mike

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:04 pm »
Mike -

nice of you to make a "house call" for Lisa  ;)  :D

We should get you a job at Cochlear  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:30 pm »
lol
 ;D

Juliette

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:08:52 pm »
Hi am having trouble ajusting too. I just got mine 3 weeks ago and am having some headaches just the same as you. but I must say am happy to be earing again. My head is very sensible at the attachement point and I still havent recoverd my sensibility on tha side of my head.
I happy to know that am not alone finding this adaptation time a bit hard.
:)
31 years old
3,2cm x 3 cm AN diagnose in march 2007
translab surgery on 0ctober 17, 2008 in CHUM à montreal
with BAHA

Sefra22

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:37:27 am »
Okay, day 3 with BAHA........day 3 with a headache :'(

I am noticing that I am hearing THINGS I didn't hear before, but I am still struggling with voices at work. I manage a music/video store, so there is always music on.

Let's see how today goes.....

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 07:03:50 am »
Lisa -

any improvement the last couple of days?

Jan

Sefra22

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 06:08:28 pm »
Thanks for asking, Jan! Now that I know to turn it off before removing it or putting it on really helps.

I think one of my issues may be that I am surrounded by electronic devices at work. For example, there is an alarm on the door to my office that I pass through several time a day. Every time time I go through the door I hear the alarm, and then the BAHA beeps, as well. Between all the computers, speakers, cordless phones, and alarms, I think I am getting a lot of interference.

What do you think? I will be sure to ask when I see the audiologist again at the end of this month. I does seem to work better when I'm home.

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 08:20:54 pm »
Lisa when you hear the alarm then the Baha does the Baha sound like a bird chirp sometimes mine does that like when I hear windchimes whistling stuff like that it is like the BP100 is talking to the sound lol.                            Mike

Sefra22

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:57 pm »
Yes Mike! That's EXACTLY what I mean, like the machines have a secret code ;D
Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006