Author Topic: I'm not sure I get it?  (Read 5777 times)

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
I'm not sure I get it?
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:40:56 pm »
Okay, so I looked up BAHA on my ins website.  It covers it as long as I meet the following conditions.  I know I meet some of them.  The others just aren't quite clicking.

• bone-anchored hearing aids (BAHAs) for patients with ALL of the following:
􀂾 pure tone average bone conduction threshold of up to 70 dBHL (decibel hearing loss)
􀂾 speech discrimination score of better than 60%
􀂾 any of the following conditions:
o documentation of chronic ear infection/inflammation
o congenital or surgically induced ear malformations of the external or middle ear canal
o tumors of the external canal and/or tympanic activity
o conditions that contraindicate an air conduction hearing aid
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: I'm not sure I get it?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:27:55 am »
Nani -

I'm not a doctor, but I think you meet the requirements.

Which ones aren't you sure of?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nani

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:13:56 am »
The first two.
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:20:44 am »
I'm not certain, but I'd imagine this means the hearing in your "good" ear has to be decent.

If it's greatly compromised, the BAHA on your "bad" side might not work so well.

Although I have a BAHA, I'm not very good with the "how and why it works" aspect.  Catherine and Lori are much better at this; I'm sure one of them will chime in.

At this point there are three BAHA processors on the market - all made by Cochlear.  The Divino, the Intenso, and the BP100.

I have the Divino because the hearing in my good ear is 100% - if it was much less than 100%, I would have gotten the Intenso (it's more powerful).

The BP100 is basically an upgraded Divino (more bells and whistles; more programmable).

There will be another processor on the market next month; the Ponto by Oticon - competition for the BP100.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nani

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:25:18 am »
I had my hearing tested before I was diagnosed.  My right ear is still pretty much perfect.  Though that might have changed since my son started picking up those ungodly high pitched shrills of excitement that should not even be humanly possible.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:35:34 am »
Ooooooo, Nani .....

I can identify with your son's high-pitched squealing.  Our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter was bad about doing that when she was upset or wildly excited until we were really firm about "Shhhh, you are hurting Grandma's ear."  She really has become very understanding and asks to go outside when she wants to squeal.  (as in "That's your outside voice.")

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:01 am »
Hmmm... well, I'm think you'd have to have your audiologist do a hearing test on your good ear to determine if you meet the requirements.  That's what I had done.  I guess it's just to make sure the BAHA will work for you - no point in putting a bolt in your head for nothing!   :D

Your surgeon and audiologist should be familiar with what the insurance company wants to see for their predetermination.  I would let them worry about that - one less thing for you to worry about.  You may have to let them know you want the predetermination done to get the ball rolling, but after that, you should be able to leave it up to them to deal with.  With any luck, they'll just call you when they get the approval and set up an appointment for you.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:57:49 pm »
Nani,
I agree with what Jan and Lori have said ... and it seems to me that you meet the criteria for getting a BAHA. Have you had a chance to try out a demo BAHA yet? That would be a good place to start. I've worn my BAHA Intenso for almost a year and a half now and find it to be a big help!

Hope it works out for you.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:59:06 pm »
Thanks for interpreting Nani's insurance company's requirements, Lori and Catherine.  Didn't want to lead anyone astray  :)

Nani -

Lori has a good point - you should let your doc deal with the insurance company and follow up if necessary.  Docs who do BAHA implants are pretty well versed in giving insurance companies the information they need to know to determine coverage. 

Catherine also has a good point - you should try the BAHA demo before you schedule the surgery.  You don't want to go into this lightly, and while most find the BAHA amazing, there are occasionally some who don't.  You need to try before you buy.

Jan

Nani

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46:38 pm »
I was planning on it.  I just didn't want to try it, fall in love, then not be able to get it.