Author Topic: How long were you hospitalized?  (Read 9172 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: How long were you hospitalized?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 07:02:17 am »

It's like when you start returning to work again, or start driving post op.  We all have different time frames.  So while it's nice to know what others have done as a guideline, take your time and heal at your own pace.

Best of luck,

Jan

Excellent point Jan.

For me, I had an easy time with recovery so was able to leave quickly.  My driving is a different story.  I have struggled with driving due to light-headedness.  Everyone's recovery will be different.  You will know when you are ready to leave the hospital.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 07:24:57 am »
Operated on a Tuesday -- went home on the following Friday morning. In ICU one night, regular room 2 nights. Back to work exactly 31 days after surgery. I was able to drive 2 weeks after surgery.

BUT even though I am back to my regular routine I still consider myself as recovering.

Cheers
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 12:23:16 pm »
It's almost 10 months since my surgery, and I consider myself as still recovering.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
Hi, I had retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's & was in the hospital from Tuesday through Saturday, then at the guest house, Seton Hall, next door for several days while recuping and keeping followup doctor's appointments.  It's a great place to stay!
Best to you!
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »
I should have also mentioned that sometimes age can be a factor in the swiftness of recovery.  Although I'm not 100 (yet) I'm sure those who are 10-20 years younger than I am probably recovered much faster - at least from the "hospitalization" factor. 

Other health issues may also come into play for some patients.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 01:19:16 pm »
When I saw Dr Stefan the other day he said most patients are in for 4 days, some 3, some 5, and some even 6 or more. 

I had Stefan too ... and I had my issues ... on day 5 he asked me if I was ready to go.. and I could stay longer if I wanted ..
(I was having big balance issues.. and was still on a walker)

I dont think he finshed the sentence .... I wanted to go!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 02:03:59 pm »
DLM4me ~

I underwent retrosigmoid approach surgery and was released from the hospital 5 days later (4 days in ICU).  I had no complications.  I was 63 years old and in good health.

As is often the case around here, Jan (leapyrtwins) is correct.  Every AN patient is unique and while you can find an 'average' hospital stay for AN surgery patients, that average may have little or no relation to your specific situation, due to variables, including your state of health, rate of recovery, etc. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DLM4me

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 02:22:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

And, yes, I do realize that each person's experience is unique and cannot be used to gauge how my own post-op experience will be.  I think I'm just looking for some reassurance that...MAYBE...I'm not looking at a long stay in the hospital.  I have a lot of health problems and each time I've had surgery recently (in the past 5 years), it's taken longer and longer to rebound afterwards.  So I'm a tad bit worried!  :o

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »
12 hr Retrosigmoid surgery at Methodist in Houston.  Morning surgery on Thursday, in ICU util about 8pm Friday, then in a regular room until discharged Tuesday afternoon.

I'm with others who warned you not to pin your hat or judge your progress by others' shorter / longer hospital stays.  Everyone's experience is different and each doctor is unique in their need to keep you X number of days in the hospital after surgery.

Rule of thumb, get out when you can but not before you're ready.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Keri

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:53 am »
Translab Thursday
ICU until following Tuesday, then home.
I don't think I needed to be in ICU all that time; there was difficulty finding a regular room. Downside of ICU - they do wake you up a lot (esp in a teaching hospital) Upside of ICU - no weird roomates (i.e. Joe Bloggs experiences)!!

Best to you,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Trackman

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 11:28:22 am »
Translab, Tuesday 6 hours - out of ICU early Wednesday morning - out of hospital Saturday morning. At the time, I felt I was pushed out of the hospital early but in hindsight I was ready.

Mitch

cecile k

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 10:20:17 pm »
Surgery (suboccipital) for about 7.5 hours (that's what they tell me :-)

Hospital stay two weeks (facial paralysis started to set in). I was being weaned off steroids but they had to restart them - I could literally feel my face pull together again (strange) and had no further problems in that area.

Went to stay with my parents in a quiet environment (I have five boys then ages 4-14) and stayed for five weeks until I could walk stairs and my terrible headaches were more or less under control with meds. My parents are the BEST :-) and we are so blessed to have them living five km away. My Dad and Mom (in their 70s) were determined I would stay with them until I would be well enough to cope with the boys :-)

TaraT

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 02:03:35 am »
Translab-Tuesday 11 hours - AGH, Pittsburgh.  ICU overnight and then moved to ICU stepdown unit.  Discharged on Monday afternoon.  Issues with aseptic meningitis.
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 05:34:06 am »
I had a nine-hour retrosigmoid surgery at Johns Hopkins on a Monday. I developed breathing issues after being taken off the ventilator initially, so I needed to be in ICU for an extra day or two, and then there was trouble with a regular room opening up on the neuro floor. I didn't go home until the following Monday because my blood sugars (I have diabetes) were so screwed up from the steroid, and my neurosurgeon is a cautious guy. He probably would have kept me longer but I convinced him that being in the hospital any longer wasn't going to help my blood sugars so I might as well go home and manage it there. I preferred ICU to the regular room; I think I was woken up during the night a similar number of times, so that wasn't a factor. I liked being by myself and having easy access to the nursing staff in ICU.
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 07:05:28 am »
Surgery on a Tuesday, home on Thursday afternoon.  Ernie's got the record, I believe.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.