Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37266 times)

lori67

Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:10 am »
It seems that the weakness that happens a few days after surgery is temporary, so I'm sure after things calm down in there, you'll be back to normal.

Everyone seems to have at least some small hurdle at some point in their recovery, but you'll clear this one.  Just remember to keep that eye well lubricated with drops until it starts closing again.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

joebloggs

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2009, 04:46:28 pm »
Thanks everyone... is a tiny hurdle and in the grand scheme of things it's not an issue.  I'm one day into the steroids now and my little alarm has just come on my computer to say I've got to take another one in 15 minutes.... I'm sure they'll start kicking in in the next couple of days and sort my swelling out... until then I think I might go and sit outside in the sun and be thankful for being here and the fact I can wash my hair today after almost two weeks.... WOOO HOOO HOO!!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

cindyj

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2009, 07:16:13 pm »
Ahhhh, the first wash of the hair!  Nothing like it!  Enjoy!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 07:55:37 am »
You'll feel like a million bucks after that first hair washing!  I was able to wash mine while still in the hospital and my husband was afraid I was going to use all the hot water for the whole hospital I was in there so long!  Believe me though, my insurance more than paid for a little extra hot water! :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 09:12:57 am »
Sounds like you are doing great! Yes, just sitting outside and being able to appreciate nature is great. Hope your eye behaves.I'm sure it will calm down. Those steroids are strong stuff, they'll get the job done ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ScoobyDoo

• Budding scurvy pirate.
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2009, 08:33:45 am »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this post!   :o

Jb, you seem to have an exceptional sense of humour!  (Notice that I spelled humour correctly???)  Keep that, it will get you through all of this, I'm sure.

What a great story about your clepto roommate.  I remember once when my Dad was in the hospital.  His roommate was quite elderly and not quite alert.  He would go around and steal dentures.  Once day when I visited Dad his roommate had 2 sets of dentures in his mouth.  He had this terrible habit of drinking from his urinal container.  Uh, the old guy did, not my Dad.   ;D

Wonderful photos of you as well!  You do look your usual bright, cherry self.  Keep us posted, we're all continuing to send great wishes your way.

John
Budding scurvy pirate.

joebloggs

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »
Thanks John!  

All going well here - went back to the hospital yesterday to have my eye check up - all good.  I'm off the steroids and the eye will clear up itself in a little while.  The eye doc said the surface of the eye looks good and all is well on that score too.  Hurrah!

I'm loving the story about your Dad's roommate who drank his pee -- well I'm not loving it, I'm kind of repulsed by it, but it's definitely different!  Would you like to hear a funny story about the roommate who replaced Rosa the Klepto?  He was lovely, about 40, super nice guy, nothing obviously wrong with him (aka, as opposed to me with my giant bandage on my head).  He would wander around in normal clothes just sort of sitting on his bed going downstairs to get a coffee occasionally etc.  He was in the neuro ward for observation and some scans and such because he was having really bad headaches.  He was very open about when he got the headaches etc so when one of the big wig neuro's came to visit him with all their offsiders I thought to myself (alas I had no choice but to hear the conversation on the other side of the curtain despite only having one ear) why is he skirting around the issue?  He seemed really cagey when he was talking about when he got the headaches which puzzled me.  Anyway... long story short, turns out the lovely roommate primarily got these headaches during you-know-what with his wife and wait for it...... the neuro was his wife's ex-boyfriend who still held a flame for her!!!! Hilarious!  Too funny.  Poor bugger!  You wouldn't read about it!  I miss the neuro ward and the all the characters!

I said goodbye to my lovely friend Aimee on Friday night when she flew back to the UK - I'm blessed not just in my recovery but also to have the support of amazing friends.  Shall put a pic up when I sort it out.

Cheerio

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:32 pm »
JB, good news about the eye, I bet you're glad to be finished with the steroids! 

I love your stories, I hope I have something interesting to tell when I get out!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

joebloggs

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2009, 10:50:03 pm »
Super good news!  I'm happy about it that's for sure!  And happy to be off the steroids... didn't sleep very well on them.

I bet you'll have some good stories... just watch your dressing gown... someone might try and pinch it! 

Just looked at your signature... we read the date differently than in the US, but I'm looking at the date and guessing your Translab is tomorrow seeing as it's the 31st March today!  Holy!  Good luck pet, you'll rock it!

Kaybo

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2009, 07:01:36 am »
JB~
Your stories are the BEST - I LOVE that about the man in the Dr.!  I will say I was a bit shocked at first, here in the US, a lot of hospitals are going to all private rooms, but when they do put you with a roomie - it is one of the same sex as you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

joebloggs

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2009, 08:07:34 am »
I hadn't actually thought about the whole male/female aspect of my room mate situation.  I don't think they probably do that as a rule - by the time he was my roommate though I was day 4 post op and he'd been there one night already so I guess they knew he was really nice and I was not likely to be weird about it.  They must have been short of beds I reckon though because it's probably not that usual to have different sexes in the same room.  Having said that when I was overnight in the medical assessment unit in the UK that was a 6 or 8 bed room with about half and half.  It's probably a trade off - free health care but you have to put up with boy germs!

moe

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2009, 09:11:09 am »
Thanks for the update JB!
Always interesting  and entertaining to hear from you.
Keep the spunk!
Maureen :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ScoobyDoo

• Budding scurvy pirate.
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2009, 09:35:54 am »
I hadn't actually thought about the whole male/female aspect of my room mate situation.  I don't think they probably do that as a rule - by the time he was my roommate though I was day 4 post op and he'd been there one night already so I guess they knew he was really nice and I was not likely to be weird about it.  They must have been short of beds I reckon though because it's probably not that usual to have different sexes in the same room.  Having said that when I was overnight in the medical assessment unit in the UK that was a 6 or 8 bed room with about half and half.  It's probably a trade off - free health care but you have to put up with boy germs!
Wow!  What great stories.  You really should write them all down before you forget them so that you can write a book about your AN later!  What a small world - loved the story about your roomie who was married to the Dr's ex girlfriend.  Wouldn't that be quite the examination?  If I were that guy, I'd be afraid of what types of examinations the Dr. ordered.  "What's this procedure you ordered?  A cas-tra-.....WHAT?"

Here in Canada we have the free health care system, too.  Consider yourself lucky, however.  While you may have to put up with "boy germs" from time to time, you don't have to put up with girls and the risk of getting "cooties"!  :P

Budding scurvy pirate.

cindyj

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
Glad you're off the steroids, JB, and that your eye is going to be fine. 

Yea, I was surprised about the male roomie, too.  And what another interesting roomie he was - very good stories for you to recount years down the road!

Continue your good recovery!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2009, 04:04:13 pm »
Wait, I thought boys had cooties?   ???  At least that's what we used to think in elementary school.  Somehow they either got over them or we girls developed an immunity to them by high school!  ;)

JB, I think you need to pay us all a visit - you sound like you'd be very fun and entertaining to have around!  Or better yet, we should all come there!

Lori