Author Topic: Numb ear??  (Read 4086 times)

Lotty mac

Numb ear??
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:48:06 am »
Two weeks post Translab and am doing well - one thing I do notice though is my ear feels very numb ( kind of the same sensation as a "dead arm"). It also pains abit towards the end of the day but is more a weird feeling then uncomfortable. I Was wondering if others experienced this and if so does the sensation return ?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Numb ear??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:19:59 am »
Hi there .....

My ear did not feel like part of my body for a long time after the translab surgery ..... and it was red and swollen for quite awhile, as well.  Gradually all returned to normal.  Still seems weird at 11 months out, mainly because of absolutely no hearing on that side now.  I still have some scalp numbness.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:23:53 am »
The pain is probably from some swelling.   You are early past surgery.        The numbness probably will go away but think I have heard that someones stayed numbish.      I have a nerve taken from by my ear as it was used to graft my facial nerve.    I had a large area of numbness for a long time but it improved as new nerves took over the area.    The ear is still some numb some but I only notice it when touch the area now.  It is nothing to worry about as healing from AN surgery can take a long time to heal.
                                     I hopew your recovery goes well and Happy Easter.                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:58:19 pm »
Hi.  I am 11 weeks post Translab.  The top of my incision and ear is still numb...strange and I have one sore spot but I think it's where my reading glass a poke it.  A lot of nerves were cut when they had to cut and pull the ear out of the way.  I think they will re connect and you will feel the little tickles and little shocks as they try to make their way to each other.  I hope all is going well for you!!!
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:51 am »
Hi,, your symptom is very natural. I am about 6 mo post op and feeling in ear is still not all there.. but much better. At first  it was as if the ear was just "stuck' back on side of my head,, did not feel attached..and besides numb, I also had a tingling, shocking feeling when touched,, even laying on pillow.. but that has subsided as the nerves have regenerated.. it will take time, but the ear will begin to feel normal again,, no hearing of course,, but won't be as noticabely sore and numb.. good luck. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26