Author Topic: Need reassurance about BAHA....  (Read 3312 times)

mellowrama

Need reassurance about BAHA....
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:42:49 am »
Ok, now I feel like a pest with so many posting. ;)

I was feeling confident about getting the BAHA, and I'm scheduled Nov 12 for surgery.  However, I do have several concerns especially after seeing Jo's pic!!!!!  Yikes!
I didn't expect to see so much and so large of an incision - since I'm a keloid scar forming person this is a potential issue.  Please tell me that its not a big deal!  I'm looking for reassurance here!

Also, my doc (Baker in OKC) says that it will interfere with hat wearing...another concern as I wear a lot out here in New Mexico...being so fair.
Now I'm wondering about waiting for the soundbite possibility...if it really is as good as a baha.

thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

tenai98

Re: Need reassurance about BAHA....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:51:42 am »
Melinda
It was my ENT second baha implant...he has done many cochlear implants tho....I must say he did a heck of a messy botched up job...the pic looks horrible compared to some pics I've seen posted....At this point I'm not to concerned cuz there is NO pain and NO infection.....I'll have some answers on friday...today the nurse put some sort of softning gel on it....Friday cant come fast enough
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:55:37 am »
WOW!  That is a HUGE difference!  I'll just stick with my scars - I've had them so long now, but good to know for the future!  Besides, I just tell Dave that, "Scars are sexy!"

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:07:36 pm »

I was feeling confident about getting the BAHA, and I'm scheduled Nov 12 for surgery.  However, I do have several concerns especially after seeing Jo's pic!!!!!  Yikes!
I didn't expect to see so much and so large of an incision - since I'm a keloid scar forming person this is a potential issue.  Please tell me that its not a big deal!  I'm looking for reassurance here!

Melinda,

Please don't let Jo's picture freak you out. I asked my husband, since he probably examined my implant site more often and more thoroughly than I did, to look at her picture to confirm that my BAHA implant area never looked like that ... and he did indeed confirm it. He said that I had some "crud" along the line of the incision, but it (the crud) was never more than about a quarter of an inch "wide" -- and the whole area healed within a reasonable timeframe. I can't remember how long it's been since Jo's implant, but I think it's been a few weeks? I'm glad that she got some reassuring news from her nurses and hope that the doctor will agree that things are progressing well.

As far as wearing a hat goes -- I have to say that I'm not much of a hat wearer and I've made sure that every coat/jacket/raincoat I've purchased since my surgery has a hood! I do wear a hat when I shovel snow and I don't wear my BAHA then, so there's no problem. The sound processor goes on and off very easily, so you could consider just putting it on after you go inside and remove your hat, and taking it off when you get ready to don your hat and go outside. I recall seeing some e-mail exchanges on the BUSK site (a British-based BAHA users forum) about people cutting holes in baseball hats, etc. so they could wear them with their BAHAs.

Best wishes as you make your decisions!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:17 pm »
Please dont let my photo put you off Melinda....keep in mind it was my ENT second baha...They all have to start somewhere to gain the experience needed.  I sent the ENT the pic and he said all looks well and just to put polysporin on it...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:59:04 pm »
Melinda -

do NOT, I repeat do NOT let Jo's pictures scare you off.  They aren't the norm.

I'm glad to hear that Jo's site is okay, but looking at the pictures scared even me - and I have a BAHA.  My site never looked like this.

I wonder, like Jo suggested, if it's because this was only her ENTs 2nd BAHA operation.  My doc had done 200+ at the time of my surgery, so he definitely had more experience - which may be why my site looked very "pretty" (in the world of BAHA sites, that is)  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:43:20 pm »
Melinda,
I personally don't think it will interfere with hat wearing, unless it is a skull tight hat!
My incision/area around it healed nicely, and there WILL be a bald spot around the abutment that is of course covered by hair. But I had to grow my hair to accomodate this (I like my hair longer anyway- shoulder length.)
Go for it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty