Author Topic: this morning  (Read 3551 times)

hannie

this morning
« on: October 14, 2008, 04:55:02 am »
I've just watched 'this morning' on TV (i'm 'working from home' today  ;)) and there was a really interesting interview on it with a British woman who was diagnosed with an AN in 2001.  The piece was about some surgery she had last year to help with the paralysis she had from the operation to remove the tumour. Apparently there is a technique that involves moving the facial muscles around so that more function is restored. After this operation she was able to smile again! It's called the labbe techinique and was developed in france. There is only one doctor in the UK carrying out this surgery so i dont know if its widely available in America too andwhether pepoeple here have already heard of it. Thought it might be of interest to some of you though.

here is the link to the online article althought here isn't much info here i'm afraid. http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/ThisMorning/Health/FacialPalsy123/default.html

here is an nhs leaflet about it too. http://qvh.nhs.uk/patients_and_services/patient_information_leaflets/facial_reanimation_by_the_labbe_technique.html

Hannie

jazzfunkanne

Re: this morning
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:55:10 am »
Hi Hannie are you based in the UK, that lady was in my BANA (british AN Assoc) mag a few months ago she is the first person to have this op she looks really good , am not sure if it was permanent facial palsy she had.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

hannie

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:05 am »
Hi

yes i'm based in Sheffield in the UK. She had apparently had the paralysis for 6 years. I had never heard of this operation before- is it well known?

Hannie

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:37 am »
Hey hannie,

Ah, 1/2 Yorkie here... mom's family from Sheffield and Leeds... :)  Husband lived in Darlington and SE London (when I met him) but now my in-laws in Shaftesbury Dorset. We'll be over there during Christmas/New years holidays!

Curious if the procedure falls in line like the T3 that Kaybo had done:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6157.0

If anyone knows, please chime in.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:19:44 pm »
Hi i think its the first time a uk person has had the op. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7039369.stm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:21:52 pm by jazzfunkanne »
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:43:57 pm »
Hi Hannie,

I didn't see it but  my friend texted me at work to tell me about it - tangerine sized?  Holy moly.  Good to see she's got her smile back though - thanks for posting this one.  Think I sent you a PM the other day - hope you got it!

Joebloggs
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

hannie

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:31 am »
Hi 'Joe'

I did get your PM and thought i had replied - i'm revealing my inability to use technology now!! i'll try to PM you again.

Yeah tangerine sized.  That's a big tumour! it made me feel lucky that my tumour is still small and gives me time and plently of options.

Hannie

joebloggs

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:41:05 pm »
Yeah, makes you really see how lucky we are in a way, totally.  I got your reply now!  Somebody else tried to message me and it didn't work either - clearly I'm not meant for replies!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!