Author Topic: cool earphone gadget for musicians and runners with SSD  (Read 2687 times)

Brewers7

cool earphone gadget for musicians and runners with SSD
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:40:37 am »
I have tried several earphones over the past few years.  I found the following website on this forum (I think Clarice posted it years ago.)

www. scansound.com

They have earphones that take stereo sound and convert it back to one earbud.  So far, my favorite has been the AF (Active Fit), because it is comfortable and stays in well.  I am a runner.  Also, it is the closest thing I have found to true stereo sound.  I am also a musician.  And even better, with shipping it costs about $30.00.  There are several models available.  You will order a right or left, according to which is your good ear.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: cool earphone gadget for musicians and runners with SSD
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:11 pm »
I'm a runner, too (although right now I'm a lapsed runner).

Best thing I found post op was a mono plug adapter for my iPod - bought it @ Radio Shack along with a single ear bud for a total of less than $10.

The mono plug adapter basically puts stereo sound into one source (in this case the single ear bud).  I used it pretty much every day until I got my BAHA.

Once I got my BAHA I got a MP3 adapter.  It plugs my iPod directly into my BP100 (BAHA device) - no ear buds or ear plugs required.  Nothing goes in your ears.  You actually "hear" the sound inside your head - and no one else can hear it.  It's awesome!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:57:42 pm »
Jan,
As you may know, I now have a BAHA.  How much is their MP3 gadget?  Is it substantially better than the mono unit?
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:53 am »
Forgot you have a BAHA.

Yes, the MP3 adapter is better than the mono unit.  Sound quality is awesome and no ear bud is required.  One end of the adapter attaches directly to your MP3 player, the other end attaches directly to your processor.   

I purchased my adapter from Cochlear about 5 years ago; it was 1/2 price @ the time.  Last time I looked, a few weeks ago, it was 20% off.

When it's full price it's fairly expensive, though well worth it. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways