Author Topic: Who's the most experienced surgeon with retrosigmoid?  (Read 2593 times)

arcteryx

Who's the most experienced surgeon with retrosigmoid?
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:29:11 pm »
I had my heart set on going to HEI for surgery, but they definitely prefer translab or middle fossa. However, I would like to at least try to save my good hearing. Outside of HEI, who do you think has the most experience using the retrosigmoid approach?

Thanks!

russ

Re: Who's the most experienced surgeon with retrosigmoid?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 10:18:54 pm »
 Mayo Clinic -Rochester, MN , Just a guess as people tended to gravitate there in the 60s when AN removals and other serious health events occured.
 Retro is the oldest and has been the most highly utilized surgery for years for AN.
 HEI perfected Translab
 Not sure about Mid Fossa, but it is a more complex surgery than people think.
 Russ

stein78

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 10:26:57 pm »
I too wanted to try and save my almost perfect hearnig.  I got three opinions, Loyola in Chicago (Dr. Leonetti), HEI (Dr. Brackmann), and Mayo (Dr. Driscoll).  Loyola said retrosigmoid, HEI said translab, and Mayo also said retrosigmoid.  I opted for Loyola (20 mins from my house), but there are plenty of docs who are very familiar with the retrosigmoid approach. All three docs I talked to knew each other and very much respected one another.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 10:31:25 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 10:46:53 pm »
My understanding is that if you still have hearing on your An side and your An is within the size recommended for radiosurgery that that is a surer thing to save your hearing? Tho' i do think i remember hearing the retro method can too....
Not sure of the stats on that, however.

wanderer

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 07:18:03 pm »
I understand what you are saying,   But there is no sure thing with any of the options.   Except translab ( you will lose your hearing)

not trying to bash or anything,   I just wanted to make sure everyone who reads this understands that.   

Radiosurgery may very well be an option but people have lost their hearing from it as well as surgery.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:54:34 pm »
For what it's worth,
  I had a suboccipital approach which was suppose to enhance my chance of saving the residual hearing...I just found out I have nothing left I'm totally deaf in my left ear.   :(  I saw a chart on doctors and how many types of surgery they performed somewhere on the net (wish I could remember where)  I do know my doctor preformed over 360 brain tumor surgeries a year.