Author Topic: When will Balance function resume after AN surgery?  (Read 4487 times)

shanne

When will Balance function resume after AN surgery?
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:22:32 pm »
Hi All,

I am 1.5 months post op and am having all the post op effects such as Imbalance, Facial weakness ( cant blink well on my left eye ), & loss of hearing both in my AN ear ( left ) and my good ear ( right ). Till today, after all tests had been done, no one could deduce why hearing is lost on my good ear as well. Some said it might be sympathetic loss, but scienctific studies have not proven this except for eyes. Imbalance is a rather frustrating one for me, i have problems in walking on uneven surfaces & in the dark.
Just wondering how long did it take you to get the balance issue corrected? Is there any medication the doctor could give to aid in recovering the balance function?

Pls share your experiences.

Thanks

Shanne ( Singapore )

matti

Re: When will Balance function resume after AN surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 01:20:39 pm »
Hi Shanne - I am currently working with a vestibular therapist, I am 7 years post op and wish I was sent to therapy from the get go (long story). I like to think it  would have helped me retrain my brain the right way  after sugery. My therapist seems to think it would have. Anyway, you might want to ask your doctor, but one thing to remember is that you are also still healing and it does take time.

Even after 7 years I am noticing an improvement with my balance after having only been seeing my therapist for 1 month.

Take care,
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

shanne

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:15:59 pm »
Hi Matti,

I had physiotherapy sessions daily while i was still in hospital, i was taught of several balance exercises which i do on a routine daily.
From the balance exercises, i could see some improvements as i was able to perform them better as time goes.
You mentioned that you were 7 years post op, and still have balance issues, can you share what kind of balance issues do you still have?
Does it affect your daily life & your career?
How about your facial weakness? how long did it take to heal?

I understand that it takes a long time to heal for the body which has gone through such a traumatic & major surgery.
In fact, the head of a human was not meant to be opened up in the ancient times, the other physical part of the body has a higher tolerance
and stronger adaptibility than the head portion, hence, we get so many post op effects after the brain surgery as the head is very sensitive.

Btw, do you have any helpful links to share for balance exercises?

Thanks!

Rgds,
Shanne ( Singapore )

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 05:13:47 pm »
Shanne: I had my orginal A.N. removed in 1990 and with that lost function to the nerve involved in balance (as well as others), I found after a period of time the balance reached the most improvement it ever will....what I am saying is I have remained with a level of imbalance ever since. It did reach a point that I really didn't notice it often but it was there just the same. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

shanne

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 08:38:30 pm »
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for responding to my thread. ;)

Im just curious to find out how well can the imbalance improve after post op rehab.
Can you describe more on the level of imbalance you are having now even after so long?
Does it affect your daily life like your job?
Pls share your experience.

Thanks!

Rgds,
Shanne ( Singapore )

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 08:28:39 am »
Shanne: Imbalance does not effect my daily life now, or at least it wasn't between about one year after my orginal resection until post-op from the second resection I had done in Sept. (tumor regrowth)....in those 14 years I essentially lived my life as I had previously. I am a nurse and work full time, during those years I also had times with a second job, I gave birth to two children and I'm raising them together with my husband however given the way we work we are both essentially "single parents" (we both work 12 hour shifts and on mostly opposite days so someone is always home with the children). I have water ski'd without difficulty however haven't gone "downhill" skiing (I don't want to wear a helmet but I will return to this when it's time to teach the children). I just carry on and once in a while notice the imbalance if I think about it. If I get a cold/flu that effects my sinus' then I'll be more dizzy.
For some reason with this recent surgery I ended up with extreme vertigo that set in around 5 days post op however now at 3 months post-op it is almost back to just the same as I was before this surgery. The doctors were unable to explain why this happened this time as they believed the associated nerve now longer had any function to it from the first surgery 15 years ago ?????swelling possibly.
You will find that gradually your body will adjust but you must be patient with yourself....this tumor did not grow over a matter of weeks or months and it is going to take a long time to heal.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

FlyersFan68

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 10:05:05 am »
Shanne, I just read a different post from you and you sure sound like a strong individual so please don't change. I think that the hearing will return. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take one day at a time. I read the other day about Foxy Brown losing all her hearing unexpectedly. Really seems like anything can happen to anybody at anytime so we have to learn to live each day to the fullest and stay positive doing the best we can with what we have! Did the good ear ever give you trouble in the past?? Anyway, technology is great these days and maybe HEI can help since they are well experienced pioneers. They didn't perform my surgery but I wasn't too familar with them back then. I still turned out pretty good though. Your balance will improve too so please keep us posted. Take care of yourself 

shanne

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 08:03:10 pm »
Hi Kathleen & Flyersfan68,

Thanks for dropping me a note in my thread.
Im 7 weeks post op now, still having problems with balance, facial weakness & hearing loss ( in both ears ).
However, i went for a hearing test few days ago, and there was improvement shown! This is at least something good for me to
spur me on. Im feeling very upset for the past weeks due to all the post op effects im getting.
As time goes, i slowly learnt to take things easier. I learnt to be more patient.

I understand that going through a brain surgery is a major event on one's health, and thus, we need a long time to heal.
Im praying everyday for myself to recover soon. Hope my prayers will be answered soon.

Thanks for your well wishes & encouragements!
Please take care of yourselves too & have a Merry Christmas!

Rgds,
Shanne

Angela

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 01:14:52 pm »
I didn't know about vestibular therapy until well after my surgery and the doctor never mentioned it.  I finally asked about vestibular therapy and it was great.

However, I do have to say READ THE ANA PAMPHLETS!  The exercises are pretty much the same!  The vestibular therapist can personalize the exercises for you, depending on your situation.

I didn't know I would feel so 'out of it' for so long.  I'm now 11 months post-op and the imbalance still bites me when I least expect it.  Just last night, I was kneeling down to zipper my daughter's coat and I just fell over as if someone pushed me down.  Go figure.

What helped me was I did as much as I could and as soon as I could.  After 1 month, it was a major accomplishment if I shuffled down the driveway and got the mail (and it took a dang long time).  At 2 months, I could wash a plate without clanking it in the sink.  Now I can walk, drive, carry the baby, do most things almost normally.

Let your body tell you what it can and can't do.  Push yourself a little but further by trying to do whatever you did pre-op.  It eventually gets better!
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

matti

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 05:03:22 pm »
Shanne - I did not realize that you had asked me some questions regarding an earlier post of mine, please accept my apologies.

The balance issues that I still deal with 7 years later are mostly when I am driving or in a shopping mall. My doctor calls it sensory overload. While I am driving on a freeway and there is alot of traffic moving around and past me, and my eyes are darting back and forth, I feel dizzy. I have limited my freeway driving to less busy times. I do not drive at night because the eye on my affected side shuts down in the bright light of oncoming cars.  Luckliy I work from home and do not have to commute. Hopefully my vestibular therapy will help alleviate some of these problems.

My facial paralysis slowly started coming back 4 months after my surgery. It took a little over a year for it to get to where I am today and that is about 85% of normal. I have to take frequent reading/computer breaks due to dry eye. Having the AN surgery has not stopped me from doing what I used to do, maybe at times I do them a tad slower, but that is just fine. I keep very active and try not to let things get in my way, if they do, I always manage to work them into my life and I must say, Life is good!

I do not have any links for vestibular therapy. I only have what my therapist assigns me.

take care,
matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

thecakes

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:59:10 am »
  HI all,   I still have balance issues.  My surgery was in 02.  I ride a 3 wheel bike.   I was 43 at the time, 6months after the surgery.  I rode my bike, and fell.  Boy falling when your older is way different than..  falling when your young.  Thought I was going to die.  I was ok until I  looked behind me then I lost my balance. Plop! Now its me and the 3 wheeler.the cakes

nannettesea

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »
I have a question regarding the difference between balance and dizziness.  When you say balance issues, does this mean you are dizzy at the same time, or just lose balance?  Is there a distinction?

My complaint 6 months out is constant dizziness.  I walk pretty well, but have adjusted over 9 months of dizziness from onset to now.  I suck at balance exercises, do okay with the visual.

Just curious.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 12:00:43 am »
I am 3.5 years post op and still have small balance issues - not dizziness. When i walk, I need to look down. If i turn or look up, I walk like I've had one too many drinks!

I'm not sure if we will ever get over the balance issue entirely.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz