Author Topic: Flu-Like symptoms post-radio treatment?  (Read 2796 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Flu-Like symptoms post-radio treatment?
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:26:22 pm »
Hi all,

I've posed this on the CKSG website to the docs over there to see if they have any knowledge of this... I've been made aware of 3 folks that approx 3-12 mos post radio-surgery (all forms) developed "flu-like" illness with fevers...

have any of you run into this that has had any form of radio-surgery (ie: FSR/GK/CK)? Please let me know here as one of the docs on the board would like to know.

Mark, do you have any knowledge of immune issues from radio-surgery?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mark

Re: Flu-Like symptoms post-radio treatment?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:50:29 pm »
Hi Phyl,

I did not have any flu like symptoms related to my CK treatment and can't recall ever hearing those types of symptoms raised by anyone else until the recent posts. That's not to say they don't occur, but I can't think of any reason why radiosurgery would create those kind of symptoms as a typical side affect.

I do think it is very natural when we go through a major medical treatment, whether it be surgery or radiosurgery, to become hyper sensitive to every symptom and assume it is associated with the treatment. I think the stress of preparing and going through the treatment does more to reduce the bodies immune system and make us susceptible to colds, Flu etc. While radiosurgery creates some degree of damage that the body must expend energy to repair it is no where near what open surgery would create.

Bottom line is I think some symptoms are easily tied back to the treatment( vertigo, occassional hair loss, etc), whereas others may occur for very different reasons unrelated to the treatment. That's my 2 cents  :)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

SuzeAN

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:08:17 pm »
Hi Phyl,

From my experience being 6 mos. out, I have not had anything out of the ordinary; oddly enough I didn't have my yearly cold
this winter.  Since being diagnosed with the AN in July 2005 and then having CK in Oct 2005, I have increased my antioxidant and vitamin C intake....now that could have had something to do with it.  I figured having radiosurgery was  going to  be stressful for my system and have been watching my diet and supplement intake. Just had positive results from my MRI too, there is significant darkening in the center of  my AN...very happy with that news.

Cheers,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

jamie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:28:31 pm »
For about a week at the end of October 05 I had flu-like symptoms (not respiratory but weak and feeling generally ill). I had my treatment at the end of August 05.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

shoegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:59:29 pm »
Phyl,

I think you know my story, I think I am one of those you mention in the intial thread.

About 1-2 weeks post CK (mid Dec), I got bronchitis and overall fatigue.  Due to stress, etc.

Then in Jan. in got an ear infection (first time since I was young) and sinus infection. Now I have the same situation again, ear infection (same ear) and sinus infection.   

I am sure that going through radiosurgery has to wear down your resisitance to a certain extent, as well as just the stress of discovering the AN.  I have alot of self induced stress too (just from life in general).  Think I need to get going with the vitamins again.
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 07:34:02 am »
Phyl you're not allowed to get sick so just get that in your mind right now! You do not have time to get flu like symtpoms!  NO NO NO!  Wavy batty want to diminish your flu like symptoms!   :-* :-*

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 08:14:16 am »
thanks all for sharing this with me... was just trying to see if there is a pattern or such (no Batty, not looking to be ill... have a trip to France to plan! :) )

There does seem to be a slight pattern of body aches and such (not to the fever, tho').  Stress certainly comes into play and hoping that a good multi-vitamin will help me out as well as some exercise.

Just curious as it seems a few folks have run into this kind of situation..... just wasn't sure if there was a commonality to it.

Thanks again for sharing this with me...
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 05:19:26 pm »

this was a reminder for me....
as, yes, i did have some flu like symptoms, but without the body temp. rising.....
so I'm replying to say yes,  i had "flu" like symptoms and i did have fsr but i have no idea if the two are related .....
 8)

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
thanks folks.. does seem to be a "common" theme except for the fever... willl follow up to see what they say.