Author Topic: it's electrifyin' !!!  (Read 1105 times)

madison

it's electrifyin' !!!
« on: May 06, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »
hello all~
  in recent weeks i have had a strange thing happen about 3 times so far when i am starting to fall asleep... i am laying on my side (my sleep position)-eyes closed, just getting drowsy.. when all of a sudden i feel kind of an elecric shock in my head that makes me jump wide awake. what the heck??? it only happens once and then i'm fine and go back to falling asleep. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this at all? thanks in advance for your input.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: it's electrifyin' !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:56:37 pm »
Madison ....

Where in your head do you feel these shocks?  If they are in your face (jaw, cheek, and/or forehead) on one side, it could be trigeminal nerve pain.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:05 pm »
Madison ~

I have no idea as to what you're feeling but Clarice ('CHD63') made a reasonable suggestion: that it might be trigeminal nerve pain.  I doubt it's anything to be concerned about but a call to your doctor to ask his (or her) opinion might help answer your very reasonable question.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »
I get a similar thing, although not really pain, and not always at night.  I get a sudden "jolt", and then my tinnitus gives me 3 strange loud chirps, then it's gone.  I just figure it's part of the package deal.

I do have a new symptom that started a couple of days ago though.  I feel like a bug is crawling on my forehead just above my right eye (AN side).  You can't imagine how many times I slapped my forehead trying to squash the dang thing! :).  Finally, this morning, I got up and looked in the mirror.  I was getting the "tickle", but there was nothing there :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:02 pm »
Strange...i've had those all my life. Not pain but occasionally just as i'm falling asleep i get a sudden jolt or spasm. Mine is kind of a flash in my mind and a spasm of all my muscles...wakes me up for a bit and then i'm back to sleep. i always thought it was normal.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 05:38:51 am »
Yep, I get what I assume is what you're talking about.  It sometimes happens at night when I'm watching tv, but more often it's when I'm in bed getting ready to go to sleep.  It is the weirdest thing...think I remember someone else mentioning this phenomenon on here.  It doesn't hurt, though, right?  Mine doesn't - it's just loud, strange feeling, and makes me jump out of my skin.  I just chalk it up to odd post-op stuff that comes with the territory, so to speak ;)

If you do find that it's something I should have been concerned w/ all along, do let me know! 

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

madison

thanks for your responses!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »
thanks to those of you who responded- i feel better now. in answer to your question- no, it doesn't hurt, it's just an unexpected jolt. i thought maybe i would become psychic or at least get some free premium cable channels, but nothing yet!i am so glad i found this forum. happy mother's day to those of you out there and to people who have pets as their babies, like me.ttys ;)
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012