Author Topic: is it or isn't it brain surgery?? & friends & family NOT being supportive  (Read 11400 times)

am2lady

Believe it or not, but I had someone tell me to stop using that word "brain surgery"  b/c that isn't what I need to have. This woman suffers with tinnitus & vertigo but there is no indication why she has these problems. She isn't a doctor. Just someone who knows it all b/c she's had these symptoms for 11 years. She wants to diminish my feelings by telling me that I'm exaggerating and that what I'm experiencing isn't that bad...becasue she suffers with the same thing. Her remedy is for me to get nasal spray! Regardless of what word I use, why do people who aren't going through what you're going through, want to diminish your feelings? Oh! Telling my friends & family on FB makes it sound like I'm on my death bed...don't do that (I only do that b/c I need some support right now..I need someone to ask "how are you feeling today? I need those virtual hugs). My husband doesn't tell any of the family b/c right now it's no big deal and it's *just a tumor*. It's no cancerous, so it isn't serious. I honestly feel that he doesn't believe me and thinks I'm being over dramatic & wants to hear from the neurosurgeon about what's going on...at this point I don't even want him coming to the appointment & I'll deal with this on my own.
Had to vent b/c people are getting on my nerves!
MRI showed - 1.9cm x 1.9cm x 0.9cm AN - as of 5/11/13
MRI showed - 20.5mm AP x17mm  transverse x 20.7mm - 5/8/14

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Oh my!!  Only those of us who have walked in your shoes can fully empathize with these ugly comments from "friends" and family.

First of all (I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive research/reading the past 5 years):  technically, surgical removal of an acoustic neuroma is considered skull-based surgery because the interior of the brain (gray matter) is normally not penetrated.  That being said, the neurosurgeon is inside the skull and the gray matter is held aside to have access to the internal auditory canal, which runs from the brainstem to the cochlea.  See:  http://neurosurgery.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=1123&ref=1&action=detail for one site clearly describing an AN as a brain tumor!!

Yes, ANs are typically benign tumors, but that does not mean they will not regrow requiring further treatment.  Malignant tumors can metastasize to other areas of the body ..... that is the one "good" thing about the difference.  Extremely large ANs can be fatal if left undiagnosed/untreated, if they compress the brain stem and attached cranial nerves (controlling many aspects of body functions).

Vent away here and try as much as possible to distance yourself from the nay-sayers, who have a need to make their aches and pains seem more important than yours are!

You truly do have a brain tumor and the surgery to remove it (should you choose it) is brain surgery.  This is not a simple case of tinnitus and vertigo!!!

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
so, how are you feeling today?

Clarice is correct. It is also possible to have responses all over the map. When I told folks what was going on, the reaction was all over the map. One friend immediately offered to take me around to experience my favorite things one last time. It took awhile to convince him that I wasn't likely to die. 

One response might be: Well, they may not be cutting into my brain, but 8-14 hours of surgery around my brain and key nerves is as close to brain surgery as needs be.

Your friend may be reacting the way she is because it never occurred to her that she might have a serious problem...has she had an MRI and all that to know? Perhaps not and she is scared.

Your husband is possibly scared and in some denial. In any event, this is pretty much your journey and will have to face it in a way everyone else will not.

Hang in there, and know there are a lot of virtual hugs from this group, even from those of us that don't show up often.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Echo

When I was first diagnosed I discussed my treatment options with a close girlfriend.  She is someone who has had her share of medical issues over the years, so I expected her to understand.  When I told her surgery could possibly be up to 9 hours long, the response I received was "geesh, why so long".  I was speechless!

I agree with Clarice, vent here and distance yourself or your discussion of your AN from those who don't "understand it".   In the long run it will be less stressful for you.  I would however, insist on your husband going with you to your next neurosurgeon appointment so he can at least gain some insight into what you are dealing with.

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
am2lady ~

I'm sorry to learn of the casual, even dismissive attitude you're receiving from family and friends regarding your AN surgery.

Unfortunately, this is not as uncommon as one might expect considering the seriousness of the medical problem and the very demanding surgery entailed in removing the tumor. 

The neurosurgeon I employed, with over 30 years of AN surgery experience, stated that for my AN debulking surgery he would have an experienced, 'hand-picked' team in the OR for my surgery...no residents or interns.   I still recall this skilled physician saying 'With AN surgery, the OR is no place for amateurs'.  I'm pleased to report that my AN surgery and later (pre-planned) radiation went perfectly. 

As previous posters have stated, there are a host of reasons why friends and even family members may not seem to empathize with your situation.  The obvious reason is that they simply don't realize the seriousness of the problem (an acoustic neuroma) or the extent of the surgical expertise required to remove or reduce it.  I suspect some think 'it's benign and small so how bad can it be'?  That is simply ignorance speaking and likely not coming from any malicious intent. 

Others may have a neurotic need to make themselves the focus of attention at all times and so must diminish your AN in order to shift attention back to themselves.  Your husband, as Tod stated, may simply be in state of denial ('this isn't too serious, right?) to mask his fears.  Some acquaintances may believe you're on the brink of death and try to minimize your AN by pretending it's no big deal, thus fending off too many thoughts of their own mortality. 

This is all random speculation of course but there are as many reasons that your family and friends seem to be insensitive to your plight as there are people.  Again, surprising as it may be, we've seen this complaint many times on these forums.  As Tod, Clarice and Cathie have suggested, try not to let your family and friend's seeming lack of empathy for your AN situation depress you.  It might help to attempt to 'educate' your family on the scope of your problem by directing them to this website.  In any case, know that we're here for you and understand your emotions and need of support, something we're very adept at providing.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Echo

To add to Jim's excellent post, I also think friends and family appear at times to be insensitive to our situation because we frequently appear to be completely fine.  Our symptoms and difficulties are not always easily seen by others.  It's difficult for them to comprehend what we are going through when we look fine.

My family are very perceptive, they can see me wobble when I'm tired, they notice how my eye on the AN side gets more narrow when I'm tired or having a very wonky head day, they see me quietly disappear for a much need nap when I suddenly feel exhausted.  They see how I sometimes struggle with my ocular motor issues when grocery shopping or walking the dogs at night.  My friends don't see these things.  They know I have an AN and have been "treated" for it, but I also look pretty much the way I always have.  I go to work every day and function as if everything is fine, therefore to them, everything must be fine.  I've come to rely on this forum and my family for the AN support I need.  Sometimes it's just easier this way then expecting our friends to understand something they can't see or maybe don't want to see.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

ewhitese

I understand the broad range of reactions you get when explaining your medical situation.  We don't have missing parts, no apparent disfigurement we must be faking it.  On the other hand when I drop the "brain tumor" diagnosis on people the reaction is largely avoidance.  Sometimes the conversation ends abruptly sometimes there is a comparison to normal everyday fatigue or minimal ache an pain that everyone gets now and again.  Such as the coworker who said ya I need a nap when I get home too. 

I have learned to keep my symptoms to myself.  It is hard to find understanding among family members as well because they are not ready to see us in any other light than that which they have grown accustom to.  We don't face change well.  My daughter has trouble understanding why I have withdrawn from my grandchildren.  I am a hands on pappy and love to play with my grandkids who adore me but I wear out quickly and get edgy when the noise level is up for a long period of time or the kids all are talking at me at once and I can't pay attention any more.  She (my daughter) just wants her dad to be the same old dad.  I know it scares her to see me as less than the rock I have always been in her eyes.

My wife is better at understanding now than she was when the symptoms were at their worst between 4 and 9 months post GK.  Her most often used quote was why can't you just snap out of it and you must have allergies now just take a sinus pill you'll feel better.  She has seen me enough times now; fall off the deep end all of a sudden and unable to  function enough times that she is a little more understanding.

My symptoms come and go, it does appear as though I am using them to wiggle out of unwanted activities, obligations I am no longer interested in etc.  I wish I could get a handle on the triggers so I am better prepared and can sort of schedule my activities around them, but I just try to deal with what shows up and go with the flow.  I had been keeping a diary of symptoms, the times I feel as though I fell off the deep end and describe circumstances around the event.  There is a correlation between dramatic shifts in air pressure, storms coming though the area, transition days between low pressure fronts and high pressure fronts, pop up thunderstorms, I have become a walking barometer.  At my six month post Gk appointment with the neurologist we discussed disability retirement, I shared my diary with the neurologist, my wife was with us listening to the discussion.  It was the first time my wife really took a look at the time line of symptomatic events.  I think that was a turning point for her when she began to see the patterns I would talk about.

It is good advice to explain yourself minimally allowing those around you to decide how they want to view you and leave it at that.  Try to be as normal as you can and just seek solitude when you need to.  People will come to an understanding or they won't.  I avoid my friend at work who continues to belittle my symptoms when I discuss them, when I see him coming I gather myself, suck my chest in sort of speak and say I'm good today how about you, when he asks and keep on walking by.  I am taking an early retirement from teaching at the end of the school year, partly because I am using a lot of sick time because of my symptoms.  My coworkers think I am trying to use up my sick days before I leave and poke fun at me when I come back to work after a day off.  I just respond with the number of days left to retirement, they don't want to here about my symptoms that caused me to take time off work.  I am paid cash for the remaining sick days unused I would certainly rather have the cash than the day off.

I don't know how to change other peoples mind about our (brain ailment) I do know that my wife and I have set aside a weekend visit each year to spend with her brother retired special forces 101st airborne irac war vet with ptsd.  We spend a weekend wandering through antique shops close to his home, doing as much with him as he can stand.  This past visit he and I functioned on a very similar level.  I have found a new understanding of his physical situation now that I have experienced symptoms paralleling his.  Forgive me if I sound as though I am diminishing his situation but the symptoms we experience are a lot alike.  I did not realize how much I minimized his physical condition until experiencing my own symptoms.

Don't be to hard on those around you who don't understand yet, they want to, they don't know how, they haven't processed how things will change for them in their relationship with you yet.  All you can do with family is share your experiences take them along on the journey; to the dr visits, let them see the literature that describes our situation, join the support group close to your location and take them along to meet and greet.  They need to learn for themselves what is happening to you.  Our ability to describe what is happening is not easy to figure out because we don't have it figured out ourselves.

When you can go all out go until you drop let them see the old you is still there and they may be more tolerant of the new you who needs some time to recover and regroup.  Be as jolly as you can, a part of this thing we have going on is depression.  I did not see it in myself until 2 months into diary entries.  As I look back I can read the depression in my own hand writing, didn't see it when I was recording symptoms but definitely after I looked at them as a whole.  It is hard to look at our own emotional state and see how it effects those around us.  I have an inlaw who is clinically depressed and I always used to say she could suck the life out of the room when she walked in.  Took me some time to see it in myself.  I am ashamed at my response to her condition now.

These new feelings we have take some time to get used to fatigue, dizziness, wobbly and unsure in our steps, noise intolerance, change in hearing perception, headache, nausea, reduced concentration level, memory issues and so many unique to each of us.  How much is physically tied to the AN tumor, how much is tied to the surgery, how much is tied to our emotional reaction to our diagnosis, who can say.  But they are all real and effect us in various degrees.  It takes time to get to know them, accept them and learn to live with them. 

One good thing..... we have lots of time ahead of us to figure it all out.  We are not at the end, we have just hit a pot hole and now we got a front end alignment problem, we just have to work it out.  I know it is easier to say it than live it, please know we understand what is happening to you.  And no one here is minimizing your experience.  Yes you have had brain surgery, it has effected you physically and the comparison to someone with the physical appearance of brain surgery is only comforting to those who are looking at us and saying poor dear. 

I take comfort in saying it isn't cancer and I am still functioning close to normal.  I would rather spend my days looking out on the world than taking stock of all that I lost.  Good luck with your journey, keep us in the loop as you continue on your journey, we all learn from each other how to live with our tumors and appreciate hearing how others have dealt with theirs.  Hope these words encourage you as so many  here have encouraged me.

am2lady

You all are awesome! I will just vent here when I need too. I'm hoping that the visit to the neurosurgeon will help my husband to understand. I'm so glad that I found this forum!

joanna_an

Am2lady,

It happened to me as well.. Now I wish I didn't mention it to people. They are either over reacting or under estimating.. One of my friends was asking me if I wanna be buried or cremated :( And if I have a will. I said I don't have a will and no one is dying. My mom is crying everytime the AN discussion comes up. But I get the flip side to that coin too. Another friend said that I should just go with surgery and it's not brain surgery and I am over reacting with the risks! Another friend thought that I am exaggerating, that I'll have surgery and hearing etc will return. He apologized when he realized is not that easy. Sometimes I even get mean comments if I don't hear people, such as "Were we on your deaf side?".. I am becoming very sensitive about my hearing loss..
I really wish no one knows. At least I am moving to another city in a month and I won't tell anyone! If hearing loss happens to be noticed I'll just say I have a perforated ear drum from paintball.
Didn't think it would be so hard for people to understand.

Joanna.
31 years old female
Left AN 18x16x13mm diagnosed on the 17th of October 2013
21mm on the 19th of February 2014
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014

rupert

I haven't had too many issues with this but, I now carry a blown up pic with dimensions on my phone. If the subject comes up about that "ear thing" I show them the picture. They get real serious after seeing it as it puts it in perspective for them.   I have even got to the point now with some co-workers who wonder how I even function with such a thing in my head. LOL.  As I recall I've only had one bad person issue. A higher up in the company once said that I better get it fixed. LOL.  One call to human resources and she was back peddling fast.   Later removed for other reasons.  Don't miss her. LOL.

Hokiegal

So sorry you are having these issues.  As others have said, lack of understanding from family and friends is not uncommon.  That doesn't mean it's not painful, though.  I know it hurt me greatly when an in-law made a cruel remark - six weeks after my surgery, as I'm hobbling around with a cane and trying not to dribble my holiday meal down my chin.  It hurt even more when the rest of the family excused his remark as "oh, that's just how he is".  For a while I had to take extra good care of myself, and that meant surrounding myself with the many supportive people in my life, and by extension, tuning out the hurtful person.  As part of my own healing, though, I eventually had to actively forgive him -- but it took a while.  I'm only human, after all.

Who knows why people act as they do?  It took a while for my husband to acknowledge that my post-op memory and fatigue issues are real.  We both thought that once I returned to work, EVERYTHING would return to normal.  Not so.  I think the turning point came when he started observing my memory lapses and utter exhaustion himself.  At that point, all he asked was that I not give up.  He was afraid that I would retreat entirely into my shell and never come out again. We both had to acknowledge the fact that I am not the same person I once was in some ways.  And I reaffirmed that I will not give up -- because that's what we do, right?  We keep trying.  Living things grow, AN or no AN.  We all get to choose to keep trying.

I will tell you, in the long run this experience has strengthened our relationship.  And it has been a blessing in so many other ways.   It has allowed me to see the very best in my true friends.  Others have disappointed me, but I have met so many wonderful people as a direct result of this tumor -- among them, my speech therapist and Pilates instructor, both of whom have become dear friends.  As someone else mentioned, it has given me greater empathy toward the people around me.  It has forced me to slow down.  Not all the bumps in the road are behind me, but now I know that they're just bumps, not mountains.

This is quite a journey we are on.  I hope it gives some measure of comfort to know that you are not alone, and that others care.  Hang in there :)
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Hokiegal

And yes, it is brain surgery.  When they drill a hole through your skull, move grey matter around to get to the tumor, and then carefully remove the tumor through the hole in your skull, it's brain surgery.  Then they wake you up every two hours to shine a light in your eyes -- because it's brain surgery.  Any doubters, send them to YouTube.  But I don't recommend the patient watch until the surgery's way in your rear-view mirror.
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

am2lady

Hokiegal, thank you for your kind words. Everyone on these boards is awesome!!!  What type of surgery did you have? My AN is 2.1cm, which I've been told is really tiny.

Hokiegal

Mine was 3.0 cm, and I had experienced 30% hearing loss, as well as balance issues.  But it was the excruciating headaches that finally led to a diagnosis.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Hi am2lady .....

I'm not sure who told you a 2.1 cm was really tiny, but that size is actually considered a medium sized AN.  Another indicator of growth is any progression of your symptoms.  Keep in mind that if or when you lose hearing from continuing growth, it is usually not reversible.  Therefore, if you develop any new symptoms or the ones you have are getting worse, it is probably time to start thinking about treatment.

Just my two cents, as a non-medical AN patient .....  :-*

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011